I propose a couple of rules for Friday Night...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Whilst we are having a bit of a gripe, I love during the dying moments of a game, the crowd start singing the club song, but why in the hell do we have to speed up the tempo!!! It sh1ts the death out of me /rant

Milton66
SS Life Member

HarveysDeciple wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
saintluke wrote:I remember at last years Prelim. It was amazing, seemed as though not one Sainter left early. All stayed to farewell Harves.
Not where I sat!! I spent the last 10 minutes of the match yelling at the hoard's of saints supporters who were heading to the exits. I couldn't believe the mass exodus. AS much as it hurt to lose, it was a disgrace to see that they could not wait to see the great man off.
agreed. was disgusting.
why? Because they didn't hero-worship Harvey enough?

:roll:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
midas_touch
Club Player

Agree to both. The dogs are my 'second team' so i hold absolutely no grudges against them at all.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Milton66 wrote:
HarveysDeciple wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
saintluke wrote:I remember at last years Prelim. It was amazing, seemed as though not one Sainter left early. All stayed to farewell Harves.
Not where I sat!! I spent the last 10 minutes of the match yelling at the hoard's of saints supporters who were heading to the exits. I couldn't believe the mass exodus. AS much as it hurt to lose, it was a disgrace to see that they could not wait to see the great man off.
agreed. was disgusting.

Its not about hero worship, its about respect!! The guy gave 21 years of his life to the club. Is it too much to ask to put up with 10 minutes of discomfort? I mean for Gods sake the Essendon players and coaching staff stayed out on the ground for 10 minutes after being belted by over 120 points to pay tribute to the man
Last edited by BringBackMadDog on Wed 16 Sep 2009 3:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

HarveysDeciple

Milton66 wrote:
HarveysDeciple wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
agreed. was disgusting.

Harvey played for the club for 21 years, gave heart and soul in that time.
Some of our fans couldn't wait 5 more minutes just to say thank you and send him off appropriately.
So yes, disgusting!

milney044
Club Player

I wouldn't call wanting to clap off a player who has dominated the competition for many a year and acknowledge his career as "hero worshiping", just something that majority of us Saints fans felt oblidged to do, after all the excitement and enjoyment Harves had given us over the years. With all the work Harves had put in over the years and the commitment he showed to the club, waiting around and clapping as he was carried off seems to me like a pretty nice and easy way to thank him in comparison.
The send off wasn't any different because he was "Robert Harvey", the same respects were given to the likes of Russell Robertson and Michael O'loughlin who also served their club over the years. It's not the world's biggest ask to wait a few extra minutes and put your hands together.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
Milton66
SS Life Member

Whatever. :roll:

Calling supporters who have probably contributed to the survival of this club disgusting for leaving early is pathetic IMO.

Last time I checked, it was a free country.

Get a grip on reality ffs.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

cant remember what win it was but the bit in the middle where milney says 'oh when the saints' by himself, he slowed it right down and screamed it and the boys then followed with the next 'oh when the saints' at the same tempo

farking brilliant
loved it
should be done every time its sung
do it milney!
8-) 8-)

Milton66
SS Life Member

milney044 wrote:I wouldn't call wanting to clap off a player who has dominated the competition for many a year and acknowledge his career as "hero worshiping", just something that majority of us Saints fans felt oblidged to do, after all the excitement and enjoyment Harves had given us over the years. With all the work Harves had put in over the years and the commitment he showed to the club, waiting around and clapping as he was carried off seems to me like a pretty nice and easy way to thank him in comparison.
The send off wasn't any different because he was "Robert Harvey", the same respects were given to the likes of Russell Robertson and Michael O'loughlin who also served their club over the years. It's not the world's biggest ask to wait a few extra minutes and put your hands together.
Agree. But to call people who decided not to "digusting" is weak.

I stayed, a mate was gutted and left. Does this mean he's disgusting? He still admired 35 as much as I do.

And given the comment was made by someone who's nic is 35's-desciple... well, if that's not hero worship, what is? How else should I interpret it as?

People have a right to follow a club as they see fit, some are members, a friend doesn't attend games, but never misses them on TV. He's as fanatical as you can get. Some stay to the end coz they want to, others get dissapinted and leave.

So what's the big deal? Who are we to judge if they are disgusting or not?

maz1685
Club Player

Re: I propose a couple of rules for Friday Night...

saint66au wrote:1. If things are NOT going our way at the end...NO-ONE LEAVES EARLY unless you have 100% GENUINE family/kids-type reasons. Please lets not have any of this "Ohh Im too shattered I cant cope I cant watch I have to go" nonsense. The players dont get an early pass why should we??

2. If things ARE going our way at the end, lets not wave the Dogs fans goodbye eh? they will be doing it tough and I reckon we are kinda bonded together at this time of year far more than with Pies, Carlton, Adelaide. I reckon Fri night should we get the chance, might be a nice time to show a little sportsmanship and gracious-ness in victory eh?
I read on a Doggies forum they are planning to boo whenever Roo has the ball...if this were the case, then when the final siren went and if we'd won, I'd certainly be rubbing it in their faces.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I agree with Milton66 to a point. Not sure I'd label our fans as disgusting b/c they chose to leave early. Disappointing maybe, but not disgusting. Disgusting would be leaving early and picking fights or directing obscene language at the opposition as you left. People pay their money, they can leave at 1/4 time if they want. I was disappointed that some chose to leave early - but putting it into context - he did have an entire game/day dedicated to him in our last home game after all.

Harves was clapped off by every team that played against him for the last time, for sure, but it's not as if the opposition players had anywhere else they were going? They HAD to stay until the final siren :wink:

Moods
Saintsational Legend

maz1685 wrote:
saint66au wrote:1. If things are NOT going our way at the end...NO-ONE LEAVES EARLY unless you have 100% GENUINE family/kids-type reasons. Please lets not have any of this "Ohh Im too shattered I cant cope I cant watch I have to go" nonsense. The players dont get an early pass why should we??

2. If things ARE going our way at the end, lets not wave the Dogs fans goodbye eh? they will be doing it tough and I reckon we are kinda bonded together at this time of year far more than with Pies, Carlton, Adelaide. I reckon Fri night should we get the chance, might be a nice time to show a little sportsmanship and gracious-ness in victory eh?
I read on a Doggies forum they are planning to boo whenever Roo has the ball...if this were the case, then when the final siren went and if we'd won, I'd certainly be rubbing it in their faces.
So we can prove that we are as stupid as they are? I'm sure the majority of Bullies fans wouldn't boo Roo, just as the majority of saints fans wouldn't boo Brad Johnson.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
maz1685 wrote:

So we can prove that we are as stupid as they are? I'm sure the majority of Bullies fans wouldn't boo Roo, just as the majority of saints fans wouldn't boo Brad Johnson.
How could anyone boo :D johnson?

Milton66
SS Life Member

Moods wrote:
maz1685 wrote:

As if their booing will unsettle Roo. :lol: :lol:

My modus operandi is simple...\

If you have a clown who comments like calling Roo a sook, or has a dig at Milney... I wait until they kick a goal, and call out: Oh what a great goal Sook. Go Sook u little champion." :D

HarveysDeciple

Milton66 wrote:

And given the comment was made by someone who's nic is 35's-desciple... well, if that's not hero worship, what is? How else should I interpret it as?

lol almost didn;t want to go to the footy this year :wink: since my "hero" was gone.

Joffaboy, Bakesfan, barks4eva, milney044, OLB must all be hero worshippers as well......You could interpret it as a nickname, but your right, you have the right to view it as hero worshipping, just as I have the right to say.....

Those who left early in Harvey's last game were disgusting. and they were.

TimPekin'sDirtyGuernsey
Club Player

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:How could anyone boo :D johnson?
Because he plays for free kicks, likes taking a dive and whinges to the umps......!

And they're his good points!

:D

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

TimPekin'sDirtyGuernsey wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:How could anyone boo :D johnson?
Because he plays for free kicks, likes taking a dive and whinges to the umps......!

And they're his good points!

:D
I just wanted to use the smiley emoticon :wink:

Milton66
SS Life Member

HarveysDeciple wrote:
Milton66 wrote:

lol almost didn;t want to go to the footy this year :wink: since my "hero" was gone.

Joffaboy, Bakesfan, barks4eva, milney044, OLB must all be hero worshippers as well......You could interpret it as a nickname, but your right, you have the right to view it as hero worshipping, just as I have the right to say.....

What about thos who didn't go to the final?? Care to insult them as well?

Seriously, get over yourself. A typical loser-ish, idol worshipping mentality that has held this club back for years.

Ironically, the man u worship would be the first to refute you name calling... the humble champion that he is.

All this hoo haa about the great 35, yet many who hold him in such high esteem, act in a way that is contrary to his many attributes and value system.

Don't you dare say a bad word against my Robbie, or I'll hit you with my handbag. :lol:

HarveysDeciple

Milton66 wrote:
HarveysDeciple wrote:
Milton66 wrote:

Seriously, get over yourself. A typical loser-ish, idol worshipping mentality that has held this club back for years.

Ironically, the man u worship would be the first to refute you name calling... the humble champion that he is.

All this hoo haa about the great 35, yet many who hold him in such high esteem, act in a way that is contrary to his many attributes and value system.

Don't you dare say a bad word against my Robbie, or I'll hit you with my handbag. :lol:
lol

So your assuming I worship Robert Harvey? based on.........a nickname? hahahahahahahaha

I could go and start a thread about an ex coach to rehash an old argument that should have been put to bed 3 years ago yet some of our fans simply cannot let go of.

HarveysDeciple

A note to every poster who has a player's name in their username!

Your a hero worshipper. True club supporters wouldn't do such a thing...

having a players name in your username can only ONLY mean one thing lol.

Milton66
SS Life Member

HarveysDeciple wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
HarveysDeciple wrote:
Milton66 wrote:

lol

So your assuming I worship Robert Harvey? based on.........a nickname? hahahahahahahaha

I could go and start a thread about an ex coach to rehash an old argument that should have been put to bed 3 years ago yet some of our fans simply cannot let go of.
Oh dear, oh deary me...

1- you call anyone who left early disgusting... although you don't know them or why they left.

2- your nic contains the word "desciple". Jesus had desciples who worshipped him.

3- You still have 35's pic in your avatar.

You obviously hate the guy. :roll:

As far as Gt thread you refer to...

1- It was about a comment he made a few weeks ago: relevant
2- It wasn't about an issue that should have been put to bed 3 years.

If you didn't worship him, you would not have made such a silly remark and call people disgusting. And furthermore, you stand by your insult.

And if you don't worship him, what gives you the right to call starngers disgusting?

On one hand, you try and ridicule me because I put 1+1 together and assume you worship him, yet you're ok to put 1+1 together and assume that people who left early do not respect him and are disgusting.

Pot-kettle-black... glass houses etc.

Once again, incorrect reporting of the facts. Sorry, best we move on.

So do you think we'll win? I reckon will pump them on Friday. :lol:

HarveysDeciple

Facts can't be based on assumptions:-P. You are assuming.

I apologise if I offended people, but people around me leaving in droves on the siren made me sick, regardless of the player, IMO respect where it is due.

For those who had valid reasons - no probs, but for those who left early to "leave early" and beat the traffic "Im sick of losing" etc it is piss poor IMO.

In your oppinion it isn't and that's fine lol

Your friend left early so it's fair enough it offended you.

My point is not out of blind love for Robert Harvey (although your right, I don't hate the guy:-P). It's about showing champions of a football club due respect.

and IMO we will win on friday night, but im shitting myself just the same.
Any advice to calm the nerves?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:
For those who had valid reasons - no probs, but for those who left early to "leave early" and beat the traffic "Im sick of losing" etc it is piss poor IMO.
i agree mate.....i never leave early...never have...never will......i just could not bring myself to cause or give the slightest comfort to the enemy...and make no mistake...opposition supporters are the enemy...on match days at least....

me?.....i love seeing the beaten leave with their tails between their legs...in fact i started the chant for the blues to go home at that night grannie out at waverly all those years ago.....

.as i said..i will never be the cause of the same satisfaction to an enemy.... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Milton66
SS Life Member

HarveysDeciple wrote:Facts can't be based on assumptions:-P. You are assuming.

I apologise if I offended people, but people around me leaving in droves on the siren made me sick, regardless of the player, IMO respect where it is due.

In your oppinion it isn't and that's fine lol

Your friend left early so it's fair enough it offended you.

My point is not out of blind love for Robert Harvey (although your right, I don't hate the guy:-P). It's about showing champions of a football club due respect.

and IMO we will win on friday night, but im shitting myself just the same.
Any advice to calm the nerves?
To each their own. I don't tell people what to do, and don't expect them to tell me.

As far as nerves go, if I find out how, you'll be the first to know. :lol:

Like I said, I'm one of the biggest muppets around, but I won't judge people. It's a free country.

Go Saints!! :D

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

There are many ways a real fan of a club can display their loyalty. Lots of them are financial like buying memberships. Some are more public, like sticking up for em at work when theyve had another flogging. IMHO one of the very best ways you can show it, because it takes some courage, ticker and guts, is to stay til the death when the team are getting towelled. Count that double in a final.

As I said previously, I have NO issue with those who have logistic reasons for leaving early. Young kids, the elderly or infirm etc etc. But the one type of fan that really gets up my nose are the "Why should I stay when the team arent trying" brigade. Their commitment and character have been tested and they have epic failed imo. Yet I bet they'd be the first to mock and taunt Pies fans for doing exactly the same thing.

Free country? Bollocks. Wanna carry on and say what a great and true fan you are during the good times? Then earn the respect of your supporting peers and show how great and true you are when things are tough!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor