The importance of Friday nights game...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

The importance of Friday nights game...

Ive been giving this some throught, if for no other reason that I need an explanation for the nerves that have been clattering around my stomach even this weeek just gone..

IMHO, Friday night is the most important game this Club has played since the 66 GF.

Why??

Well..this is going to sound all very negative and Im not trying to be, but the ramifications of losing are just ..well..horrific.

Not just the case of 4 Prelim Final losses in 6 years...thats bad enough. But to bomb out a week early after being 20-2?? Can you imagine the blanket of horror that will descend on us by not just the media, but our own less resiliant fans? Our workmates?? This Forum??? *shudders in anticipation*lol

Id fear for our membership. The SEN-ringing "Raph-bashers" are the ones who will jump off, and they are the difference between 33,000 and 40,000 members. They'll celibrate a flag like it was never in doubt, but you watch the poison fly from em if we fall a week short

Its weird..but Its almost like this game is more important than the GF..weve got to the brick wall we've been unable to smash through too often. Get through that, and even with a GF ahead..it seriously to me would be like a weight lifted from my shoulders.

Cmon boys, be strong...we just ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO WIN ON FRIDAY NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
matrix
Saintsational Legend

im not nervous as in 'oh we might loose'
im quite confident that we will be playing in a GF 8-) 8-) 8-) and knock the bullies out this week.

getting fidgety tho :?

midas_touch
Club Player

I'm feeling more nervous about this game than I will feel if we make the GF. Im still quite confident that we will roll the Dogs, but as the OP suggested, the ramifications if we lose are enormous.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote: getting fidgety tho :?
Too much popcorn!

I can't recall our club being in a better position, so I am happy to let these professionals do their thing with surgical precision, and lead us to the promised celebratory drinks.

Relax, Enjoy! 8-)

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
PJ
SS Life Member

St.Kilda (players, club, fans et al) is made of sterner stuff. We will not fail and we will not break. The players will be revelling in this, their chance at history.

Who wants it to be easy if it was it wouldn't be worth it - greatness comes from understanding what is at stake but still having the round ones to stand up and be counted.

I haven't seen anything in the saints all year (loses include) that suggests they aren't ready for the mantle. Wear your guernsey to work, wear it to the pub GO LOUD GO PROUD GO SAINTS

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Very true.

I've said before that, as good as our year has been to date, we are one loss from disaster.

I don't subscribe to the thought that once we make the GF the pressure is off. That is a bit of a cop out IMO.

After the year we've had, only a premiership will be just reward.

A loss in a GF will be a lot harder to deal with than a loss in a PF for me.

aussiejones
Club Player

Each game of the finals is a separate game. History shows we were good enough to get there based on the season .... but on the day performance is what counts.

We have everything going for us , players , fitness, coaching staff etc what we need to do is remember the type of game plan that got us thoes victories during the year and bring that game on the day...........

The game is waiting to be won.....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

aussiejones wrote:Each game of the finals is a separate game. History shows we were good enough to get there based on the season .... but on the day performance is what counts.

We have everything going for us , players , fitness, coaching staff etc what we need to do is remember the type of game plan that got us thoes victories during the year and bring that game on the day...........

The game is waiting to be won.....
and amen to that mate.... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

The next two weeks will define our history.

If we take the opportunity and grab it by the throat, we will move up the ranks and lose the tag of the 'worst team in history'.

If we fail to take it, especially this week, we will be forever seen as the team that went 20-2 and cracked as our history suggests.

As the Socceroos said when they played Brazil: STUFF HISTORY. This is our chance. Our chance to be able to claim that WE ARE THE BEST.

Lets do this Sainters.

Milton66
SS Life Member

satchmo wrote:
matrixcutter wrote: getting fidgety tho :?
Too much popcorn!

I can't recall our club being in a better position, so I am happy to let these professionals do their thing with surgical precision, and lead us to the promised celebratory drinks.

Relax, Enjoy! 8-)
All things being equal.. both teams playing at their best... we will win.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Just another PF...

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

As Ross would say, just another round...

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:As Ross would say, just another round...
Must be Eastern's shout then!

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Megamaguire
Club Player

A chance to make experience pay

This is a huge opportunity to exert strongly and relentlessly the mental edge found by the Saints players over the last 23 weeks. Doing what is necessary to again find that special mental state is the key i feel.
I don't think the team is nieve to the point that they believe they just have to turn up. Being on the same page of initiative, commitment and a simple straight ahead focus will be some of the internal mindsets needed.
The dogs know they can beat the cats and would have more wins over them this year but for a bit of fine tuning. The Saints know that it will be a relentless and cool mindset that will win the battle under the lights on the weekend. Being switched on will be obviously vital and Rossi is hammering in the need for mental clarity and focus that will be required.

Last week i was rapt to see McQ in particular repeatedly step up as a leadership-type player and if he and a few others manage to find that focus then Rooey; Sam Fisher and Lenny will have plenty of leadership to shoulder the load.

Good luck to all the guys wearing the red, white & black.
G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

The nerves are there, the worry is there, I just hope they give us a bit of a stress free night.
However, if you look at the Dogs history over the last 12 years, they have stumbled at the preliminary too and have not taken their chances.
It is also important too note that as both teams are in their second consecutive preliminary, the Dogs got there the same way as last year, we won the direct route.
The Dogs did not improve on their win loss ratio from last year, we won 7 more games than last year and finished comfortably on top of the ladder.
The Dogs have had to fight for their top 4 position since round 19, so in essence this is their 6th straight match at finals intensity.
We have the team, the fitness and the game plan that beats them, all they have to do is apply it.
Not that I would begrudge the Dogs a premiership, just not at our expense.
Eade has to work out how to beat us, we already know how to beat them.
Our time is at hand, seize the moment, seize the day.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
claystreet
Club Player

Go SAINTS!! am quietly very confident we will knock the bullies off

Deep down i want the Filth in the granny

Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

Kosi didn't play last time we played them either....

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: The importance of Friday nights game...

saint66au wrote:Ive been giving this some throught, if for no other reason that I need an explanation for the nerves that have been clattering around my stomach even this weeek just gone..

IMHO, Friday night is the most important game this Club has played since the 66 GF.

Why??

Well..this is going to sound all very negative and Im not trying to be, but the ramifications of losing are just ..well..horrific.

Not just the case of 4 Prelim Final losses in 6 years...thats bad enough. But to bomb out a week early after being 20-2?? Can you imagine the blanket of horror that will descend on us by not just the media, but our own less resiliant fans? Our workmates?? This Forum??? *shudders in anticipation*lol

Id fear for our membership. The SEN-ringing "Raph-bashers" are the ones who will jump off, and they are the difference between 33,000 and 40,000 members. They'll celibrate a flag like it was never in doubt, but you watch the poison fly from em if we fall a week short

Its weird..but Its almost like this game is more important than the GF..weve got to the brick wall we've been unable to smash through too often. Get through that, and even with a GF ahead..it seriously to me would be like a weight lifted from my shoulders.

Cmon boys, be strong...we just ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO WIN ON FRIDAY NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!
If you're like this now, what are you going to be like by the time you get to the corner on Friday ? :roll: :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Re: The importance of Friday nights game...

saint66au wrote: IMHO, Friday night is the most important game this Club has played since the 66 GF.
Are you serious?

It will be disastrous if we lose but to put it ahead of Grand Finals in '71 and '97 is a bit over the top IMHO.

Assuming we win, ask yourself on Monday, would you swap that win for one against Adelaide in the '97 GF.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Gabba wrote:Kosi didn't play last time we played them either....
Or Gardiner...

StSteven
Club Player

We can all relax this weekend. Saints and Cats will win easily. Don't forget the other two teams were three games behind second place.
Save the nerves for next week.

bozza1980
Club Player

StSteven wrote:We can all relax this weekend. Saints and Cats will win easily. Don't forget the other two teams were three games behind second place.
Save the nerves for next week.
I agree with you, I believe the Saints and Cats will win reasonably comprehensively, however until the game is won I'll be nervous.

Bring it on though, the long wait should be over in 2 weeks, if we play to our best.

linz
Club Player

It's getting to the pointy end where teams are getting more & more evenly matched. On Friday we should win but strange things happen. We're playing with a pointy ball which sometimes doesn't always bounce the right way.
Injuries, luck, umpiring decisions make this game so unpredictable.

The ball hasn't bounced our way for a while now but I'm hopeful it will this year. The players don't give a stuff about our history or the demands or nervousness of their supporters. I'm confident the boys can create their own history. If they don't, it won't be through lack of trying.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Came on tonight to start another post with just how bloody erratic my mood and physical state have been ever since the Bulldogs have been our opponents for the prelim but you have saved me the trouble Michael.

You have stated what I know to be the truth but was almost in denial about... :shock:

there is no escaping this .... :roll:

this Friday night is our most important game since 66 no doubt :x

Pissed off that we are playing another side with a similar romantic goal and in the case of the doggies.. they have not played in a grand final for 48 years!!!

Listened to Finey[a saint supporter apparently!!!] on SEN this arvo building a case for the dogs needing to meet their date with destiny..

What about the team that has won only one premiership and has won bloody 20 of 22 games Mark...does that sound like a fitting and deserving result to you???? :x

In short we have had a magnificant season and deserve to go into this Friday supremely confident in our ability to produce the goods..

I really believe if we beat the Dogs the flag is ours...not arrogance but a belief that the players will truly believe when they get past the dogs that destiny is ours.

There is just no getting around it...A WIN IS ALL THAT WILL DO THIS FRIDAY NIGHT!!

HEAVEN OR HELL AWAIT :shock: :roll:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

It is bloody important to win, but we are just too good to lose IMO.

We would need to seriously F***-up to bomb out on Friday night IMO.

Form is form, can't be ignored.

We have a fit list that can only improve on the past month.

We know what the team is capable of - it's not rocket science!

Time to continue the pathetic Footscray story of misery for another year.