We are in the same place Port was in 04.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

We are in the same place Port was in 04.

In 2004, Port Adelaide went into a home preliminary final against us.
The previous 3 years, Port had finished top 4 and this was their third prelim in a row.
They had lost their previous two, but also suffered terrible home final defeats in the 1st round of the finals and had a reputation for choking.
Unfortunately for us, they won at their third attempt, then went and beat the all conquering Brisbane in the Grand Final.
This Friday is our 4th prelim in 6 years, we haven't won one and amazingly the Bulldogs are our 4th opponent, we haven't faced any team twice.
We have a lot to lose and everything to win, like Port though, this is the first time we have come through as a top two side straight from the Qualifying final.
This time we come through with virtually a full and healthy list.
We we're the brash, up and coming team in 04.
In 05 we won an unexpected interstate final against Adelaide to go straight through to the prelim, however the win came at a great cost as we lost three very good players (Hammill, Fisher and Peckett).
Last year, we won our way into the top 4, we deserved to be there, but the top 2 last year we're far superior teams at the time.
It's interesting to note that we improved our win loss record this year by 7 games, the Dogs are in exactly the same boat they we're in last year and have not improved as they won the exact same number of games last year as this year and finished third again.
Like Port in 04, it is our time, to take our opportunity.
If we are at our best, we will beat the Bulldogs with a lot more authority than Port beat us in 04.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
mick13
Club Player

Not a bad analogy, but I remember that 04 was Port's last gasp, as it was for the Lions. And both teams fell away badly in 05 (hell I know the Lions did at least)

I reckon we'll be competing for a flag for a few more years at least.

But feck, if we're the Port of 04 I'm more than happy!

Shades
Club Player

Screw next year 2009 THE YEAR OF THE SAINT i hope.