Getting ahead of ourselves

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ThomasR
Club Player

Getting ahead of ourselves

I note that a lot of posts this week have related to the Grand Final and have implied that it is a foregone conclusion that we will make it. Indeed much of the commentary last night spoke of the appalling skills in the Doggies vs Brisbane game and that the winner would get absolutely smashed by St Kilda.

This is not the case !!!

At the end of the day, it is 22 men vs 22 men and absolutely anything can happen in a prelim final. Ask Essendon in '99. I get the feeling on the boards this week that there was much more trepidation leading up to the Pies game than there has been for the prelim - admittedly the prelim is still a week away but still.

I understand the excitement and of course we are full of confidence after trouncing Collingwood last week but they really were very ordinary. But before that the bottom side pushed us for a quarter, and we had consecutive losses to average sides. In spite of last week I still do not think our form line is great but the week off will work to our advantage.

In reality, next Friday I am quietly confident and expecting something like the flogging Hawthorn gave us in the prelim last year, except for us to be on the other side of the coin. But I am also preparing mentally for what would almost certainly be the greatest let-down in my time as a St Kilda supporter. The Dogs are not a top 4 side for nothing and I am just a bit concerned for those who have not considered the reality of waking up on Saturday morning with our season over.

Apologies for the extreme pessimism, I am sure that as long as the players are not getting ahead of themselves then we should be right as we are a stronger side, but some of the Grand Final talk on here this week has been slightly premature and may come back to bite some! I am all for enjoying the ride but even if you have flown with us before, it is still important that you watch the safety demonstration!

Lid: SHUT

matrix
Saintsational Legend

soft

we'll thump the dogs and show the country they have no forward line and one decent defender

lid= now off

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Great post.

As good as our season has been so far, we're one loss away from a disastrous season.

We easily forget how cruel this game can be.

howlinwolf
Club Player

I am just glad that our coaching panel and management are professional.
These over confident expectations would not have entered their minds.

One week at a time, one opponent at a time.

That's what's got us this far and the club knows it's the only way to success.

Luckily what ever the fans want or expect has no bearing on our chances of
winning.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Being over cautious will not change the result, it will not make you feel better if we lose, but it will take alot of the fun factor out of the lead up....

claystreet
Club Player

You might as well pump yerselfs up and get ready for the ride.

My wifes a mess already :roll:

Maxstar22
Club Player

I have weird mixed feelings about US and our past matches (which thankfully we won) and the upcoming PF and God willing the GF.

One part of me is so nervous, at times I am a jibbering idiot and then the other part of me has had the lid off since the Geelong match.

I sit here and imagine what it will be like to make the GF and then how it will feel and how I will react when we win it and then in the next breath I sit here thinking that this time next week I could be exceptionally depressed due to a loss in the PF.

Is that my heart and my head fighting with each other? Is anyone else feeling so torn?

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I'm over nail-gunning the lid down. The players know what they're doing and the significance of where they're at. This year they aren't going to let us down and I'm pleased to say I have the confidence to make some noise about it....and enjoy doing it. Should it go sidewides on me I'm prepared to cop the flack! GO SAINTS! Two more games! Hard yakka! Let's do it! :twisted: :twisted:

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Legendary
Club Player

Can't get fully excited due to 2004/05/08 ... particularly '05, we were clear favourites that night as well ...

It's not over until the final siren.

HOWEVER ... I've never seen a fitter, more professional, more dedicated or better coached St Kilda side.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Additionally....I think the real question is this: Can we beat the Cats in a GF. I reckon the answer is HELL YEAH! :twisted:

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Maxstar22
Club Player

St. Luke wrote:Additionally....I think the real question is this: Can we beat the Cats in a GF. I reckon the answer is HELL YEAH! :twisted:
Oh Luke you are really pumping me up now.

Bugger it.

LID IS OFFICIALLY OFF.

If it comes back to bite me on the bum, so be it.

GO YOU MIGHTY SAINTERS.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Maxstar22 wrote:
Is that my heart and my head fighting with each other? Is anyone else feeling so torn?
Yes :shock: Quite a few of us are doing it tough .Istarted this thread earlier in the week

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=56311

Points well made Thomas but we are a differnt side to 05 thats for sure...you can be sure there will be no overconfidence from the coachs or the playing staff :roll:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
falka
Club Player

Keep the lid on.

Yes enjoy the ride, but don't forget anything can happen on the night. I'm only 32 years old and i've seen the Saints do a lot of crazy heart breaking things in my time, i'm sure others have seen even more.

This is a different team, I have confidence in them, unlike previous years and acknowledge that if we play to our best we will win. Luck with injury could also play a part in the game, so it aint over till its over.

Go Saints

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Get some of that on your lid.

Maxstar22
Club Player

Why can't we have the lid off and enjoy the ride at the same time?

I am enjoying every minute of this wonderful season, even though I nearly give myself a stroke at every game.

I am confident that we will go all the way this year.

Having the lid off makes enjoying the ride even better.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

falka wrote:Keep the lid on.

Yes enjoy the ride, but don't forget anything can happen on the night. I'm only 32 years old and i've seen the Saints do a lot of crazy heart breaking things in my time, i'm sure others have seen even more.

This is a different team, I have confidence in them, unlike previous years and acknowledge that if we play to our best we will win. Luck with injury could also play a part in the game, so it aint over till its over.

Go Saints
The lid makes absolutely no difference if we lose, none whatsoever. A loss still hurts, not one person has been able to convince me otherwise.

Now, the argument should be....is a win as good with the lid on?

devil saint
Club Player

Re: Getting ahead of ourselves

ThomasR wrote:I note that a lot of posts this week have related to the Grand Final and have implied that it is a foregone conclusion that we will make it. Indeed much of the commentary last night spoke of the appalling skills in the Doggies vs Brisbane game and that the winner would get absolutely smashed by St Kilda.

This is not the case !!!

At the end of the day, it is 22 men vs 22 men and absolutely anything can happen in a prelim final. Ask Essendon in '99. I get the feeling on the boards this week that there was much more trepidation leading up to the Pies game than there has been for the prelim - admittedly the prelim is still a week away but still.

I understand the excitement and of course we are full of confidence after trouncing Collingwood last week but they really were very ordinary. But before that the bottom side pushed us for a quarter, and we had consecutive losses to average sides. In spite of last week I still do not think our form line is great but the week off will work to our advantage.

In reality, next Friday I am quietly confident and expecting something like the flogging Hawthorn gave us in the prelim last year, except for us to be on the other side of the coin. But I am also preparing mentally for what would almost certainly be the greatest let-down in my time as a St Kilda supporter. The Dogs are not a top 4 side for nothing and I am just a bit concerned for those who have not considered the reality of waking up on Saturday morning with our season over.

Apologies for the extreme pessimism, I am sure that as long as the players are not getting ahead of themselves then we should be right as we are a stronger side, but some of the Grand Final talk on here this week has been slightly premature and may come back to bite some! I am all for enjoying the ride but even if you have flown with us before, it is still important that you watch the safety demonstration!

Make no mistake - our pressure made them look ordinary. We are the best and it is ours to lose. Our confidence is not ill-founded. A grand final spot is ours. We've thrashed the Bulldogs the last two times - they haven't improved that much and got lucky a few times last night through poor lions' disposals.

mick13
Club Player

Doesn't matter s*** what the supporters think. As long as the players are switched onto the mentality, we're fkn sweet.

And at the moment I think they are.

Enjoy the moment, whats the worst that can happen? End up copping a lot of s*** from supporters on BF.

I'd rather enjoy it all now, then only start to enjoy it once we win the flag. Oops there I go again - if we win the flag. :D
Last edited by mick13 on Sat 12 Sep 2009 5:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Re: Getting ahead of ourselves

devil saint wrote:
ThomasR wrote:I note that a lot of posts this week have related to the Grand Final and have implied that it is a foregone conclusion that we will make it. Indeed much of the commentary last night spoke of the appalling skills in the Doggies vs Brisbane game and that the winner would get absolutely smashed by St Kilda.

This is not the case !!!

Make no mistake - our pressure made them look ordinary. We are the best and it is ours to lose. Our confidence is not ill-founded. A grand final spot is ours. We've thrashed the Bulldogs the last two times - they haven't improved that much and got lucky a few times last night through poor lions' disposals.
three if you include the pre season.

although eade did say that they beat last year, and that they have learnt the lessons from the last time they played us.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:Being over cautious will not change the result, it will not make you feel better if we lose, but it will take alot of the fun factor out of the lead up....
We have a winner.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Newman
Club Player

Yep feeling the same as a lot of you guys especially Maxstar. I keep saying things like - well this time next Sat night - I'll either be planning for GF or very depressed. And move ahead another week .... I just HOPE with all my heart that this time in 2 weeks I'll be singing, jumping, leaping and hugging every Saint fan in sight as we celebrate into the late hours of Sat night.

midas_touch
Club Player

Quietly confident about the game on friday, but that wont stop me from being nervous as f*** from the opening bounce.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Very nervous bout Dogs game - they pushed the Cats twice this year and in that last final were finishing all over the Cats but fluffed shots on goal.

The thing with Dogs which makes me most nervous is we are on a bigger ground which should help theior run AND unlike Collingwood who have soft players (Leon NEON) the Dogs keep coming...

Ofcourse whether your lids on/off or up your backside makes no difference...no matter this wont be a push over.....EVERYONE is already talking us up for a win...they love the under dog stuff....

Picken to Dal...hes a tough little Baker type that one...

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Very nervous bout Dogs game - they pushed the Cats twice this year and in that last final were finishing all over the Cats but fluffed shots on goal.

The thing with Dogs which makes me most nervous is we are on a bigger ground which should help theior run AND unlike Collingwood who have soft players (Leon NEON) the Dogs keep coming...

Ofcourse whether your lids on/off or up your backside makes no difference...no matter this wont be a push over.....EVERYONE is already talking us up for a win...they love the under dog stuff....

Picken to Dal...hes a tough little Baker type that one...
What does it matter how they play against Geelong? They need to worry about US, we beat them twice this year....

Beej
Saintsational Legend

By all means take the lid off if that's what you want.

Confidence is one thing but believe me the fall is a lot harder the higher you are and I choose to keep my feet firmly on the ground and take absolutely nothing for granted.