My Pessimism and Optimism are at war !!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

My Pessimism and Optimism are at war !!!!

Must be honest and admit to some real turmoil that I have been feeling all week.... :?

In my darker moments I can see [the other fairytale team] the Dogs assuming they beat Brisbane ruining our season in the Prelim and the thought of hitting the second last hurdle absolutely terrifys me :shock:

A minute later I remember how tough we have been to beat all year and how bloody brilliant and tough the boys came out against the filth and the significance of the week off...

Put it down to the conditioning of losing 3 prelims in just 5 years but the nagging doubts will haunt me until we are in front come the siren in a weeks time...

Actually feel deep down that if we make the Granny we will win against anyone...its this damn second last hurdle that has me spooked.

Would ease my fears if Brisbane pulled one out of the box but can't see it happening..

Was just curious if a few of us are feeling the same this week :roll:
Last edited by saint patrick on Thu 10 Sep 2009 10:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
markp
Saintsational Legend

I cant remember ever being as anxious during a game as last week.... I'm hoping that was my moment and from now on I'll enjoy it, but I'm not sure.

Think I'll be smuggling a hip-flask into next weeks game... it would be nice to be 6 goals up at halftime.

But from a totally detached perspective we are a bloody good thing, and we'll take some serious beating from here.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Feeling fine and supremely confident.

Saints are in uncharted waters. This has been our best ever season.
Why should that change now?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
StSteven
Club Player

We will thump Bullies. The next week is far more worrisome.

maz1685
Club Player

I don't think you're alone, I think as St Kilda supporters most of us are conditioned to be fearful as a result of our history, just try and think of the fact that they've never won 19 in a row, so maybe this year they will create a new history at St Kilda.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

I feel exactly the same way Saint Pat

I am not negative but scared shyteless that something will go wrong.
But when I look at it in plain black and white(and red), I have no douubt that Saints are the best team and physically and menatlly tough enough to do it.

I am confident for the first time, and that alone scares me.

I love this club
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Feeling fine and supremely confident.

Saints are in uncharted waters. This has been our best ever season.
Why should that change now?
Now thats the sort of talk I was looking for :twisted: .

Thanks Bernard :wink: ... won't make any difference to what is about to unfold but somehow it gives my dark side some comfort.

What will make a difference is how the collective team is feeling and as you say on the evidence of this season there is no justifyable reason for doubt.

Keep the faith ...I repeat to myself :roll: :wink:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

the fear will just make the victory all the sweeter!

you know that feeling when your plane lands safely after going through a night storm and the lights go off, and everyone is screaming as the plane gets buffeted around...it'll be like that...only 1000 times better!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

You clearly need to turn up to the Corner for an injection of optimism before the game St Pat !!
I simply refuse to see any negative side this year - I refuse to let those creepy thoughts affect me. I have lost my lid and am proud to see only light at the end of the shortening tunnel ... where all darkness is behind us.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Would love to say that I'm a beacon of optimism, but I'm like you as well Pat. It's been such a long bloody wait with so many heartbreaks along the way. Am trying to just stay with one week at a time.
Am hopeful that we'll do it and also well aware of the pain of falling short. Please let this be our year.

reincarnated

If we were to win this place better be empty. Reincarnated would be disgusted if there were folks on here come a grand final win

chook23
Saintsational Legend

I think the problem is you know the pain of losing a big one........

but the only way to WIN that big one is knowing you may also feel that pain again.......

that is what the mind is grappling with........

saint4life
mullet
Saintsational Legend

reincarnated wrote:If we were to win this place better be empty. Reincarnated would be disgusted if there were folks on here come a grand final win
If a tree falls in a forest does anybody hear it :idea: :?: :!:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I am not a pessimist, or an optimist, I am a realist...and we will be fine 8-)

roxanne
Club Player

I think the anxiety is normal - every supporter from every club would be feeling it. Especially the ones who know they'll have to play us.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
bigred
Saintsational Legend

We are good enough.

That is all.

That is all.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Maxstar22
Club Player

I can't ever remember being this nervous. Not negative, just nervous.

This may sound alittle silly, but me joining up to SS hasn't helped the nervousness. While I love it here and most posters are great (especially the ones I have already met), having more ppl to talk to about it adds to my already nervous nature. I don't have alot of Saints friends outside of here, so in years gone by I have kept most of my thoughts and fears to myself.

GO SAINTERS!!!

saint1974
Club Player

I am also very nervous felt sick at last weeks game with 5 minutes to go I started to relax and enjoy the moment looked over to the ailse next to me and saw Dave doing his jig that made me finally laugh and smile when the siren went a few tears rolled down the face to know we made one more piece of the season 2009 fit.
I am not negative but deep down I know we are the best team as my better half keeps reminding me but I still remember 1997 ant the pain I felt at the end of the game and the following week!
I know we are the best team and believe we will make the grand final and I will endure a sleepless nervous week and enjoy the whole atmosphere looking for that Holy Grail!
So like you Pat I know what your saying and are about to try and enjoy the next few weeks!
GO SAINTS!

HarveysDeciple

chook23 wrote:I think the problem is you know the pain of losing a big one........

but the only way to WIN that big one is knowing you may also feel that pain again.......

that is what the mind is grappling with........
Yep

and knowing how much falling at this hurdle hurt us all in 04,05 and 08.

Jake Niall's article has a bit to do with it as well.

Was so very nervous before the Pies game, especially when they played that ominous, scary, batman music on the scoreboard lol

yipper
SS Life Member

bigred wrote:We are good enough.

That is all.

That is all.
That's it Red, keep it simple. We are good, damn good. Somone is going to have to play out of their shells to stop us!! Not likely - we will do it.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
ThePunter
Club Player

I remember hearing in 2007 that the Geelong players were really nervous pre-game in the Preliminary Final versus Collingwood, but nice and relaxed before the Grand Final.

I think most of us just want to see us make the Grand Final first, and are really focussed on next Friday night.

Here's hoping the Doggies and the Lions knock chunks off each other tonight.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

last week very nervous.

next week against the bulldogs not as nervous. due to that the bulldogs supporters don't think they will be able to beat us!

makes me feel slightly confident!

StSteven
Club Player

Just calm the nerves it is going to be a Saints / Cats Gf. No doubt in my mind given this weekend's games.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I'm just being a St.Kilda supporter, that nagging doubt in the back of your head that reminds you of all the failures of the past.
But, as I said, if we bring our best this Friday night, the Dogs wont get near us.
Mind you I will say this, losing this week will have a worse effect on the club and me, than losing the Grand Final.
Remember our 4th prelim, and too lose wouldn't put a monkey on our back, we'd have Godzilla.
We have all the weapons the Dog's fear, and apart from last year, we have owned them over the last 5 years.
I really want to spend next Saturday decorating my house.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.