Tarrent and Peake rumours

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:I must be a bit slow... can someone explain to me why we need trades?

We're a bit light in the 20-22yo bracket, but otherwise I would think our greatest need is 18-year olds...

Have I missed something?
Maybe the 18 year olds will will be able to get this year are not that good due to a shallow draft.

tgf
Club Player

my 2 cents worth on the trades,since lyon has taken over i can not remember 1 trade that has been rumoured in the papers/radio that has actually come to fruition, and we have been linked to many players, all of our trades have remained a secret until they have happened

stinger
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:I must be a bit slow... can someone explain to me why we need trades?

We're a bit light in the 20-22yo bracket, but otherwise I would think our greatest need is 18-year olds...

Have I missed something?

some sense at last....maxie and goose can't get a game ..yet a couple of clowns say we are interesed in a f*** up like tarrant and some of the posters on here get all gooey ffs..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

Have I missed something?
Maybe the 18 year olds will will be able to get this year are not that good due to a shallow draft.
What - and things are going to get better in the next couple of years? :roll:

Seems to me the last thing we need is more mature players. We have a playing group that has a fair bit of everything... our needs are for the long term future, not next year.

Hey... I've got an idea for a mature player who might be a good fit for us - better than Peake anyway. Has been doing a lot of running around in the VFL because his club won't give him a game. Had some bad luck with injury but should still have heaps of upside.

How about it? His name's Xavier Clarke? Ohhhhh that's right, he's on our list...

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Have I missed something?
What - and things are going to get better in the next couple of years? :roll:

Seems to me the last thing we need is more mature players. We have a playing group that has a fair bit of everything... our needs are for the long term future, not next year.

Hey... I've got an idea for a mature player who might be a good fit for us - better than Peake anyway. Has been doing a lot of running around in the VFL because his club won't give him a game. Had some bad luck with injury but should still have heaps of upside.

How about it? His name's Xavier Clarke? Ohhhhh that's right, he's on our list...
And your point about X is? You will find in the next few drafts there will be plenty of trades bacuse of what you said. And dont shoot the messenger, just mentioning why there will be more trades this year but who apart from people here have even said we are interested in trading? My bet though is we will do at least one trade as history shows RL does that.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Have I missed something?
We do not NEED trades.

However the present "crew" have shown themselves to being very adept at improving our list with very good value trades.

So the question is more whether our Football Department can identifya trade which they believe will deliver better value than a "kid".

I am therefore sure that this year that they will at least "look" at trades..and if the player is right for us and the deal a good one it will be done.

However it might well be that no suitable player presents....but you only know if you look.

At present.

Our depth is looking pretty healthy.

Steven and Armo both look cpabale of making it.

Lynch is looking promising...but is still young. Gwilt has been o-ish as a HF, but not good. So HF remains spot we need.

Stanley really excites me...but physically and development wise is several years off.

Big Ben is almost there..ready to slot in for Gadi and King, both of which I am hoping will play at least one more season.

Zac has already taken Max's spot.

Baker has had a great year...but is our one true small defender. So back up here as Bakes is geting ona bit.

Chhoo Choo has hada good introductory year...and promises to be able to take over from Milne eventually as small forward. But is still a long way off yet and may not make it.

Long-term To me Lenny "The General Hayes" is our most important player with Roo a close second. He does not have that many more years. so if we want sustained succes we need to develop another quality mid. The national draft will possibly be the best way to do this. But I am sure the whips will be cracked on Armo, Steven & Geary.

PS: Maybe an International Irish Rookie or two this year as well. Evidently we are looking at two.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tarrent and Peake rumours

Bowey Boy wrote:
JABBER wrote:3AW Healy and Russell said tonight, we are looking at dockers duo
I agree that there are far bigger things going on at the moment but thank you for the info cos otherwise I would not have known !! I think Tarrant would be handy as he plays the Banjo and could provide entertainment at social occasions.[/quote]

Mabey we could also recruit Robo and have them form a band

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
marksnsparks
Club Player

If we're interested in Tarrant, this surely means the end of Goose at St Kilda?

Not sure if this is a net gain.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:We're a bit light in the 20-22yo bracket, but otherwise I would think our greatest need is 18-year olds...
The current list including rookies at the start of next season, removing Allen, Howard, Miles, L Fisher and Hudghton (most likely to go):

19 years old: 5 (+ 4 rookies)
20 years old: 3 (+ 2 rookies)
21 years old: 3
22 years old: 0 (+ Allen, Howard)
23 years old: 4 (+ Miles)
24 years old: 3 (+ 1 rookie)
25 years old: 4 (+ L Fisher)
26 years old: 4
27 years old: 4
28 years old: 0
29 years old: 2
30 years old: 3
over 30 years old: 1 (+ Hudghton)

So you're exactly right that the biggest hole in the list is that around 22 years old, because Allen's been horribly unlucky and Howard hasn't come through. And this is also because the 2005 draft was pretty bad for us (though Gilbo's a star) and the 2006 draft not a lot better (Jones, Geary, Eddy, Armo all close to the side, but no superstars).

Trading for Ray and getting Dawson last year filled a bit of a hole in the 23/24 year range. If we could pick up a couple of decent 21/22 year olds this year, that'd really help our team in about five years.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:And your point about X is? You will find in the next few drafts there will be plenty of trades bacuse of what you said. And dont shoot the messenger, just mentioning why there will be more trades this year but who apart from people here have even said we are interested in trading? My bet though is we will do at least one trade as history shows RL does that.
My point about X is, why in the blue blazes are we talking about taking a mature recruit when we have an oversupply of them?

If the draft is as shallow as they say, why would the club make the job harder by trading what picks they do have?

Lyon, Drain and co. have pulled off some real magic with trades in the last couple of years but you've got to wonder if they have any more rabbits in that hat. Topping up a list is one thing... succession planning is another. It tends to involve traffic in the opposite direction.

Look at where our recruits came from - the majority were from clubs who had just won a premiership (in Sydney's case it was a couple of years back). Now think what might happen if we win a flag this year, and project forward.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:We're a bit light in the 20-22yo bracket, but otherwise I would think our greatest need is 18-year olds...
The current list including rookies at the start of next season, removing Allen, Howard, Miles, L Fisher and Hudghton (most likely to go):

19 years old: 5 (+ 4 rookies)
20 years old: 3 (+ 2 rookies)
21 years old: 3
22 years old: 0 (+ Allen, Howard)
23 years old: 4 (+ Miles)
24 years old: 3 (+ 1 rookie)
25 years old: 4 (+ L Fisher)
26 years old: 4
27 years old: 4
28 years old: 0
29 years old: 2
30 years old: 3
over 30 years old: 1 (+ Hudghton)

So you're exactly right that the biggest hole in the list is that around 22 years old, because Allen's been horribly unlucky and Howard hasn't come through. And this is also because the 2005 draft was pretty bad for us (though Gilbo's a star) and the 2006 draft not a lot better (Jones, Geary, Eddy, Armo all close to the side, but no superstars).

Trading for Ray and getting Dawson last year filled a bit of a hole in the 23/24 year range. If we could pick up a couple of decent 21/22 year olds this year, that'd really help our team in about five years.
While there is no argument of the stats, do we have to have a balance of aged players?

Who cares if we dont have 22 y.o.s?? I couldn't care less. if we have 10 24 y.o.s and ten 21.yo.s why would it matter.

Surely it is quality of the palyer no players ages that is the key?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:While there is no argument of the stats, do we have to have a balance of aged players?

Who cares if we dont have 22 y.o.s?? I couldn't care less. if we have 10 24 y.o.s and ten 21.yo.s why would it matter.

Ideally maybe, but it's really hard to tell which of the 19-24 year olds will be part of the core of the side in five years. So to protect against this uncertainty, I reckon it's better to have a few players in each age bracket so that you're protected against having large numbers of retirements leaving a hole in the side.

Picture the side in five years - 2014.

Most of the current core will be gone. Gilbo, Ray, McQualter and Zac will be 28, Goddard, Schneider and Raph will be 29, anyone else left will be 30 or older. 25-27 year olds are the core of most successful sides, but all we'll have will be Gwilt, Eddy, Geary, Armo, McEvoy in that entire three-year age bracket! There'll be a big group of 22-24 year olds under them, but most players who aren't J Selwood are still young and a bit flaky at that age.

Considering that 2014 side, it really feels like the current Sydney side - lots of older players who were great in their day but now are getting on; not enough middle age players beneath them to carry the side; and a group of good kids coming through. Sounds like a 9th to 14th finish.

I'd hope we could avoid having that slump by a little bit of clever recruiting now.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a ... 5771422719
Other Eagles players who are looking at options elsewhere include Mark Nicoski and Matt Spangher. The out-of-contract pair are managed by Colin Young.

West Coast chief executive Trevor Nisbett said yesterday the Eagles were hoping to keep Spangher, who played his best game for the season in round 22 against Richmond. He was a second-round selection in the 2005 national draft and played 11 games this year for a total of 18.

It is understood several clubs, including St Kilda, have sounded out Spanger's management about a move.
Spangher looks like being a pretty handy player. He would be great pickup.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Beno88 wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a ... 5771422719
Other Eagles players who are looking at options elsewhere include Mark Nicoski and Matt Spangher. The out-of-contract pair are managed by Colin Young.

West Coast chief executive Trevor Nisbett said yesterday the Eagles were hoping to keep Spangher, who played his best game for the season in round 22 against Richmond. He was a second-round selection in the 2005 national draft and played 11 games this year for a total of 18.

It is understood several clubs, including St Kilda, have sounded out Spanger's management about a move.
Spangher looks like being a pretty handy player. He would be great pickup.
Hahaha I have a mate that used to work at Xavier where Spangher went to school & he cannot get over that a bloke who was a deadset gumby at school has now turned into a reasonable AFL player.

Kudos to the WC recruiting staff on that one!

reincarnated

bergholt wrote:
joffaboy wrote:While there is no argument of the stats, do we have to have a balance of aged players?

Ideally maybe, but it's really hard to tell which of the 19-24 year olds will be part of the core of the side in five years. So to protect against this uncertainty, I reckon it's better to have a few players in each age bracket so that you're protected against having large numbers of retirements leaving a hole in the side.

Picture the side in five years - 2014.

Most of the current core will be gone. Gilbo, Ray, McQualter and Zac will be 28, Goddard, Schneider and Raph will be 29, anyone else left will be 30 or older. 25-27 year olds are the core of most successful sides, but all we'll have will be Gwilt, Eddy, Geary, Armo, McEvoy in that entire three-year age bracket! There'll be a big group of 22-24 year olds under them, but most players who aren't J Selwood are still young and a bit flaky at that age.

Considering that 2014 side, it really feels like the current Sydney side - lots of older players who were great in their day but now are getting on; not enough middle age players beneath them to carry the side; and a group of good kids coming through. Sounds like a 9th to 14th finish.

I'd hope we could avoid having that slump by a little bit of clever recruiting now.
Teams always have slumps after winning/sustained success

Put into perspective. The Power who made the Grand Final in 2007 rather randomly are paying for having such a good year. Bottom out and trade away a player or two for a good pick and the closer one is to a premiership then finishg 2nd to Geelong and being average for the next few seasons

The Swans are now on the decline. So are the Kangas. It is unaviodable

Reincarnated believes we should just take our medicine when our better players retire and rebuild through the draft and trading

Reincarnated does not see in finishing 5-10 as it is neither high enough to challenge or low enough to really bottom out and play the children extensively

GrumpyOne

So the question is:

Will the present Tarrant of rumours soon reach a Peake and die down?

:roll: :oops: