Observations after watching replays...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Observations after watching replays...

...a couple of times now

1. Roo and Lenny are the best leaders in the comp.
2. At the game I thought our intensity was great after 1/4 time - wrong, it was there from the start, our pressure was "on" from the first two minutes.
3. When Gilbert's on, the Saints are on.
4. Sam Fisher's left foot was great.
5. CJ is a pitbull, and probably the best stopper in the game.
6. Gardiner is possibly the most important player in the next two games.

Please feel free to add.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The best thing about these replays is that we still win!

Sainterman
Club Player

Totally agree re the pressure. When at the game I didn't feel it was there for the first 15 or 20 minutes. Watching the first qtr today, it certainly was, things just didn't flow well for us, and we didn't seem to bring the ball inside 50 as well as would like.

It didn't let up for the full 4 qtrs, a good sign!

Also agree re Gilbo, when on we look good, he adds run, and those tackles generally stick and hurt! Should be All Australian final 22 this year!

Milton66
SS Life Member

Re: Observations after watching replays...

Iceman234 wrote:...a couple of times now

2. At the game I thought our intensity was great after 1/4 time - wrong, it was there from the start, our pressure was "on" from the first two minutes.

Please feel free to add.
I reckon Kosi's presenting and splitting packs was also good.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Re: Observations after watching replays...

Milton66 wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:...a couple of times now

Please feel free to add.
I reckon Kosi's presenting and splitting packs was also good.
Hell yes, how did I leave him out!

He doesn't discriminate who he kills, he just hits it hard.

Sainterman
Club Player

Also add the hard work done by Mini, including a few great highlights:

- the tackle on Dildak
- the shot from the boundry that he threaded
- general composure in tight situations

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Our ability to FREE UP DalSanto & Montagna is also crucial to our game. We did that very well on Sunday !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:Also add the hard work done by Mini, including a few great highlights:

- the tackle on Dildak
:oops: had him in my votes after the game...

Okay the whole team effort was awesome...or oursome :wink:

Some things stand out more at the game live and others really stand out more when watching the replays.

Blake and Bakes were also instrumental...

Milton66
SS Life Member

hmmm, freeing up Dal and Joey...

I trust that people are starting to understand why players like Eddy and Ball get a game.

Also, I reckon Andrew McQuality may provide the X factor this year.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:Totally agree re the pressure. When at the game I didn't feel it was there for the first 15 or 20 minutes. Watching the first qtr today, it certainly was, things just didn't flow well for us, and we didn't seem to bring the ball inside 50 as well as would like.

It didn't let up for the full 4 qtrs, a good sign!

Also agree re Gilbo, when on we look good, he adds run, and those tackles generally stick and hurt! Should be All Australian final 22 this year!
yep...we actually played better in that first quarter than what appeared to be the case watching the match at the ground......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saint_mite
SS Hall of Fame

I love the patience to chip it around our arc while waiting to find an option. once there is a glimpse, it's in there.
Gilbert > Roo... that pass was awesome.

Milton66
SS Life Member

saint_mite wrote:I love the patience to chip it around our arc while waiting to find an option. once there is a glimpse, it's in there.
Gilbert > Roo... that pass was awesome.
There was a good example of that on FC last night where G Lyon explained how we switched, their zone followed, then we switched back and made space.

Now this typifies why I think we'll go all the way...

Yes, teams know how to beat us. But hardly any of them have the discipline or perhaps even the fitness to maintain it for 4 quaters.

thehandbrake
Club Player

Had the same thought after watching the replay- we really were switched on from the first bounce.

A slight concern though, especially against a team like Geelong- we dominated the first 15 mins for a return of 1.1 to 0. Our forward 50 entries need to improve to really make our ascendancy count on the scoreboard.

All the pleasing signs were back though. Collingwood looked really rattled at stages, which was great.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

I may be wrong but to me it seems like the first quarter (not only on Sunday but throughout the year) is all about running the opposition into the ground, fierce tackling to hurt their bodies and not letting them score. Then we seem to go on a scoring spree in 2nd and 3rd quarters cause they are too hurt and knackered to keep up. By the last quarter some teams can hardly lift their legs, hence so many come from behind wins this year. You can see opposition teams gasping at the end of the first quarter. This would have to be the hardest Stkilda team I have seen in 47 years.

Milton66
SS Life Member

mullet wrote:I may be wrong but to me it seems like the first quarter (not only on Sunday but throughout the year) is all about running the opposition into the ground, fierce tackling to hurt their bodies and not letting them score. Then we seem to go on a scoring spree in 2nd and 3rd quarters cause they are too hurt and knackered to keep up. By the last quarter some teams can hardly lift their legs, hence so many come from behind wins this year. You can see opposition teams gasping at the end of the first quarter. This would have to be the hardest Stkilda team I have seen in 47 years.
That's an interesting point. Almost suck the energy out of them, and let them give us their best shot.

One thing that's been constant this year has been our capacity to soak up an onslught and then counter punch.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:This would have to be the hardest Stkilda team I have seen in 47 years.
agree. i think we are the toughest team in it.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

OMG a footy thread :)
I agree with the above comments re aggro - and also noted that the clearances were spread right across the board - Ball with 5 got the most I think - but about 8 players had 3 or more - this is a tremendously GREAT sign - it must freak out opposition coaches trying to stop our "winning the ball" as Malthouse said they "could not get the ball" .....
Fantastic!
Changes next week - NIL!

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

mbogo wrote:OMG a footy thread :)
I agree with the above comments re aggro - and also noted that the clearances were spread right across the board - Ball with 5 got the most I think - but about 8 players had 3 or more - this is a tremendously GREAT sign - it must freak out opposition coaches trying to stop our "winning the ball" as Malthouse said they "could not get the ball" .....
Fantastic!
Changes next week - NIL!
Sorry for bringing footy into the forum... :wink:

What if I said I was impressed by Raph moving forward and thought when he handballed to Roo "WTF are you doing" just to see Roo run onto it and kick the sealer? Great vision by Raph.

There, that should get it back off track. :wink:

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
mullet wrote:I may be wrong but to me it seems like the first quarter (not only on Sunday but throughout the year) is all about running the opposition into the ground, fierce tackling to hurt their bodies and not letting them score. Then we seem to go on a scoring spree in 2nd and 3rd quarters cause they are too hurt and knackered to keep up. By the last quarter some teams can hardly lift their legs, hence so many come from behind wins this year. You can see opposition teams gasping at the end of the first quarter. This would have to be the hardest Stkilda team I have seen in 47 years.
That's an interesting point. Almost suck the energy out of them, and let them give us their best shot.

One thing that's been constant this year has been our capacity to soak up an onslught and then counter punch.

I am no expert by any means but in reply to handbrakes concerns about controlling the play for 15 min for only 1.1, I reckon dont worry while we have it they dont and we make em run and chase, and if they do get it we put em into the ground. As long as they dont score too much its all good

Milton66
SS Life Member

mullet wrote:
Milton66 wrote:

I am no expert by any means but in reply to handbrakes concerns about controlling the play for 15 min for only 1.1, I reckon dont worry while we have it they dont and we make em run and chase, and if they do get it we put em into the ground. As long as they dont score too much its all good
I'd also add that yes, it seemed like we didn't put them away, butthen again, they weren't scoring either. As someone noted that scoreboard pressure is a 2-way street.

And when we have those quaters where the opp kicks 2 goals or less, then I'm confident we're in control.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
Sainterman wrote:Also add the hard work done by Mini, including a few great highlights:

- the tackle on Dildak
:oops: had him in my votes after the game...

Okay the whole team effort was awesome...or oursome :wink:

Some things stand out more at the game live and others really stand out more when watching the replays.

Blake and Bakes were also instrumental...
I also singled out Mini for special mention. Thought it was the best game I've seen him play. Tackles, 1%ers, clearances, goals and he was composed in traffic and his disposal was excellent. Great to see this guy really starting to show his class.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I noticed on the replay that Gardiner was doing some of his bearing his mouthguard angry faces again after halftime, he plays best when he is fired up...

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I just watched it as well....

Get to the last quarter...14 mins to go....

End up watching Roo kick that goal maybe twenty times.....

lol just freakin awesome....

You can actually hear the breaking of forty thousand Collingwood hearts...

Gold.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
stinger
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:I just watched it as well....

Get to the last quarter...14 mins to go....

End up watching Roo kick that goal maybe twenty times.....

lol just freakin awesome....

You can actually hear the breaking of forty thousand Collingwood hearts...

Gold.
he got the ball..turned and kicked right in front of the missus and i..........i nearly cried.......many a filth supporter actually did...... :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

He is just amazing....

Roo....

Fair dinkum we need a thread just for everyone's combined mancrush on our captain...

He is just scary good....

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....