13 years, 9th longest player EVER, last year, ROSS?????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Schillaci
Club Player

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:We should wait and see who plays before making judgements.
...and wait and see who wins before we post our opinions :wink:

Personally I'd love to see Max in but Dawson has done a great job and deserves to have his spot. As already posted by numerous others it's not about Max it's about the team and having the best possible chance at success. Trust in Ross.

markp
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:When we were winning, people seemed to find my posts far less sinister.
Which is why you didn't bother posting much.

Troll.

Milton66
SS Life Member

C'mon people.. where's the September love? :P

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Now that I've had my obligatory octagenarian nap it's good to come back on here and see things haven't changed.
rodgerStool is still twisting and turning in an effort to deny the truth.

His posts often evoke the memory of an old poetic line:-
'Oh what a tangled web we weave, when we try to deceive'

Bet he won't post the actual words he used earlier this year when he again tried to denigrate RL. If he did we would see that his posts in this thread are just more bs lies, like so many of his deflections in so many of his posts.

Modus Operandi for our rodgerStool I'm afraid.

But I must give him credit when it's due. He plays the 'victim card' so nicely - some newbies might actually believe he is the 'victim' in all of this, rather than the 'puppet-master' trying to 'play' everybody else.

Why a grown person (I'm assuming he's an adult) would want to resort to such childish manipulation I'm not sure, but it obviously 'floats his boat' enough to make him keep doing it.

Surely this 'troll thread' has run its curse by now?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I was wondering how a simple topic went to 4 pages. Now i can understand. RF at his best or should that be worst.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I was wondering how a simple topic went to 4 pages. Now i can understand. RF at his best or should that be worst.
This thread is no different to many, many others.

A topic worth debating/discussion, with varying views and some interesting points.

Then posters start with the insults and slanging, then other posters jump in and completely and utterly maul a decent thread.

Why is everyone so surprised. If you see Mr Magic's name in any thread, simply avoid it cause they all end up like this.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:It's a fascinating debate this one.

Only 3 years ago, the St Kilda faithful wanted to strung Grant Thomas up for suggesting that Robert Harvey needed to convince the club that he should play on.

Now, it seems the club 'culture' (as much as I loathe that word and the concept of it) has matured to a point where emotion and romance is taking second place behind sense and professional decision making.

Where this debate becomes interesting though, is that alot of people cannot fathom that Eddy, Gwilt, Dawson etc. could possibly get a game ahead of Max and Luke Ball. Based purely on ability and value ot the team, not emotion.

This is where it's interesting. Lyon clearly has his favourites, it's just that his favourites are different to the favourites of the Saints faithful.

This could well be one of those football decisions that either makes a coach a genius, or ruins their career.

And in alot of these situations, the result on the day overshadows the actual merit of the decision they make.

Meaning, if we lose there is no doubt that Lyon will be criticised for not playing Max and/or Ball - regardless of if in reality they would have made the difference.
excellent well thought out post........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

12345 wrote:Anyway, you can all talk it out. I respect your forum, just joined to post the comment and I thought I should put the post up...

"Danger Will Robinson, danger!!"

And so it came to pass. Oh well, just two more hours until the team is announced.

Milton66
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
Milton66 wrote: Perhaps you can avail us of the specific quote in order to put the matter to rest. I seem to recall something whereby you stated that you came to the conclusion that RL was not a good coach after 3 months into his tenure.
Well at least you have the decency to ask the question, as opposed to posting blatant lies about other posters.

What I said, was that I was a strong, even staunch supporter of Lyon when he was appointed.

During our first practice match, I was a bit concerned about the style of play that it seemed clear, he was going to implement onto our team.

I never aired these concerns. It wasn't a big deal.

3 months into the season, my concerns re the game plan and style were quite strong. It wasn't working, as I had had believed it wouldn't after that first praccy.

Again, I never aired these concerns, and on here publicly, supported Ross Lyon.

Last year, obviously I began to speak 'publicly' about my thoughts in relation to Lyon's coaching and where it was falling down.

That was it simple. Clear as day.

Milton66 wrote: Much discussion and ridicule followed given that 3 months in was still part of the preseason.
Much of the discussion and ridicule came for 2 reasons - people don't bother to read what I write, and people simply like to argue with me.

Milton66 wrote: You could also enlighten us as to RL's poor decisions that also referred to a while back.
I didn't say Lyon made poor decisions. I said that until we have injuries and things don't go our way, we won't know what (if any) mistakes Lyon has made.

Simply put, with a full list of fit superstar footballer, you don't see any cracks.

Milton66 wrote: This would save us all the abuse and fighting that goes on.
It would probably be easier for people to read posts properly, and even butt out of threads where they have no intentin other than to abuse me and/or hijack a thread.
Forgive my ignorance but what are these "cracks" you refer to?

Recruiting? So far, apart from C Gardiner and Clrk the ruckman... nothing to see there

Tactics? I believe you're on record as stating that the role of th coach is over rated.

Gameplan? Given your initial concerns, surely a 20-2 result must dismiss these concerns.

Depth? So far so good. 8 players out and we still won.

Lack of development of youngsters? Eddy, Geary, Gwilt, Armo, Steven, MacEvoy all given game time.

Ability to bring out the best in players? Tell that to Gilbo, Joey, Dal and afew others.

Fitness? Nuff said.

Is the club going backwards? Given your view that we were lucky to make top 4 last year, then surely the club is going forward this year with a 20-2 result.

So what other cracks have I missed?

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

bigred wrote:Max is a freakin legend. Heart and soul of the club since 1997 imo.

As much as I would love to see him play in a Premiership side, I would love to just win the premiership more.

He is still in the mix. Three wins to go. Anything can happen.
my sentiments exactly..

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
bozza1980
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:It's a fascinating debate this one.

Only 3 years ago, the St Kilda faithful wanted to strung Grant Thomas up for suggesting that Robert Harvey needed to convince the club that he should play on.

Now, it seems the club 'culture' (as much as I loathe that word and the concept of it) has matured to a point where emotion and romance is taking second place behind sense and professional decision making.

Where this debate becomes interesting though, is that alot of people cannot fathom that Eddy, Gwilt, Dawson etc. could possibly get a game ahead of Max and Luke Ball. Based purely on ability and value ot the team, not emotion.

This is where it's interesting. Lyon clearly has his favourites, it's just that his favourites are different to the favourites of the Saints faithful.

This could well be one of those football decisions that either makes a coach a genius, or ruins their career.

And in alot of these situations, the result on the day overshadows the actual merit of the decision they make.

Meaning, if we lose there is no doubt that Lyon will be criticised for not playing Max and/or Ball - regardless of if in reality they would have made the difference.
I agree with a lot of what you are saying.

At the end of the day Lyon and the coaching staff are charged with the responsibility of bringing to the club our second premiership.

To complete this task they have to pick the team they think has the best chance of winning the 3 more games the club needs to win to claim the flag.

I, like most here, would love to see Maxy rewarded with a premiership if the club was to win it, however, you don't send out a team that you don't think is your best (if you can avoid it) when the premiership is on the line.

Premierships are hard to win, nobody knows that more than our club, surely if the choice is between giving yourself the best chancing of winning the cup or honouring a great servent of the club you choose the former.

Don't get me wrong I still hope that Maxy can still somehow get back on board the train, but he doesn't get there unless he is the best option.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Milton66 wrote: Perhaps you can avail us of the specific quote in order to put the matter to rest. I seem to recall something whereby you stated that you came to the conclusion that RL was not a good coach after 3 months into his tenure.
Well at least you have the decency to ask the question, as opposed to posting blatant lies about other posters.

What I said, was that I was a strong, even staunch supporter of Lyon when he was appointed.

During our first practice match, I was a bit concerned about the style of play that it seemed clear, he was going to implement onto our team.

I never aired these concerns. It wasn't a big deal.

3 months into the season, my concerns re the game plan and style were quite strong. It wasn't working, as I had had believed it wouldn't after that first praccy.

Again, I never aired these concerns, and on here publicly, supported Ross Lyon.

Last year, obviously I began to speak 'publicly' about my thoughts in relation to Lyon's coaching and where it was falling down.

That was it simple. Clear as day.

Milton66 wrote: Much discussion and ridicule followed given that 3 months in was still part of the preseason.
Much of the discussion and ridicule came for 2 reasons - people don't bother to read what I write, and people simply like to argue with me.

Milton66 wrote: You could also enlighten us as to RL's poor decisions that also referred to a while back.
I didn't say Lyon made poor decisions. I said that until we have injuries and things don't go our way, we won't know what (if any) mistakes Lyon has made.

Simply put, with a full list of fit superstar footballer, you don't see any cracks.

Milton66 wrote: This would save us all the abuse and fighting that goes on.
It would probably be easier for people to read posts properly, and even butt out of threads where they have no intentin other than to abuse me and/or hijack a thread.
Forgive my ignorance but what are these "cracks" you refer to?

Recruiting? So far, apart from C Gardiner and Clrk the ruckman... nothing to see there

Tactics? I believe you're on record as stating that the role of th coach is over rated.

Gameplan? Given your initial concerns, surely a 20-2 result must dismiss these concerns.

Depth? So far so good. 8 players out and we still won.

Lack of development of youngsters? Eddy, Geary, Gwilt, Armo, Steven, MacEvoy all given game time.

Ability to bring out the best in players? Tell that to Gilbo, Joey, Dal and afew others.

Fitness? Nuff said.

Is the club going backwards? Given your view that we were lucky to make top 4 last year, then surely the club is going forward this year with a 20-2 result.

So what other cracks have I missed?
F*ck me.

How hard is this to understand??

Here it is again....

"I didn't say Lyon made poor decisions. I said that until we have injuries and things don't go our way, we won't know what (if any) mistakes Lyon has made.

Simply put, with a full list of fit superstar footballer, you don't see any cracks."

Milton66
SS Life Member

thx but no thx. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I don't recall the "(if any)" part in your original comments a while back.

What cracks and what potential mistakes?

I'm simply seeking clarification. No need to be so rude. I'd expect better from you.

Your comments are like saying "until you die, you won't know how long you lived for".

Stay on topic please.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

12345Image

did it get the desired affect? 5 pages - I'd say so... :roll:

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Seriously, who cares if others help Zac out, it's called playing for one another.

I don't care if Roo peels off, runs back, and helps Zac in a one on one....just get the job done already!

markp
Saintsational Legend

And here's what i said at the start of the year....

"We'll win our first 19, then drop a couple by less than a kick, then win our last easily but in a fairly lackluster performance... whenever we kick a higher score then [sic] our opponents, we should win"

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I was wondering how a simple topic went to 4 pages. Now i can understand. RF at his best or should that be worst.
This thread is no different to many, many others.

A topic worth debating/discussion, with varying views and some interesting points.

Then posters start with the insults and slanging, then other posters jump in and completely and utterly maul a decent thread.

Why is everyone so surprised. If you see Mr Magic's name in any thread, simply avoid it cause they all end up like this.
Liar!

There are many threads I participate in that do not turn into slanging matches.

I would hazzard a guess that the one poster who features more prominently than any other in these 'slanging threads' is rodgerfox, but then agian that's not surprizing becasue it's most probably what he sets out to create.

bozza1980
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: F*ck me.

How hard is this to understand??

Here it is again....

"I didn't say Lyon made poor decisions. I said that until we have injuries and things don't go our way, we won't know what (if any) mistakes Lyon has made.

Simply put, with a full list of fit superstar footballer, you don't see any cracks."
You've got to know by now, people only see what they want to see.

Unless you are genuflecting at his greatness, you are against him.

That said, if we win the flag I don't care what mistakes we don't know about.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

This is your stupidest post yet!!!

This could be said of any team in the AFL!!! Surely it has been proven year in year out that, from the top teams, the team that have the highest number of their best players on the field for the most games in a season usually will be the most successful!!! Geelong looked bullet proof for 2 years, but with a few of their stars missing this year they look vulnerable, does that mean Thompson can't coach????

Milton66
SS Life Member

A few tubes of No-More Gaps, some paint and a coat of wallpaper and no one will ever see any cracks. 8-)

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Robert Harvey, Nathan Burke, Stewart Loewe, Frankie Peckett, Danny Frawley, Nicky Winmar..about 500 of the blokes :(

too many.

I love max, but whatever the decision, I hope that the coach makes the one that will win us the flag.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
rexy
SS Life Member

Roger Fox

Do you watch the football?

The Hudgton Dawson debate is definately one for the ages and good arguments can be made for both. I have been on the fence for the last 16 weeks and dont envisage getting off it any time soon.

All that said, Zac Dawson kicks the football extremely well over 40 to 50 meters forwards to a target. His disposal is very good and the fact that you do not realise this astounds me. For many years on this forum I have respected you for your right to an opinion and your courage to stick to it. I now wonder whether perhaps you are watching a different game to the rest of us. Surely you can see with your eyes dawsons disposal and give him credit for it, regardless of whether he should be in the side or not?

Maybe this year?
Milton66
SS Life Member

rexy wrote:Roger Fox

Do you watch the football?

The Hudgton Dawson debate is definately one for the ages and good arguments can be made for both. I have been on the fence for the last 16 weeks and dont envisage getting off it any time soon.

All that said, Zac Dawson kicks the football extremely well over 40 to 50 meters forwards to a target. His disposal is very good and the fact that you do not realise this astounds me. For many years on this forum I have respected you for your right to an opinion and your courage to stick to it. I now wonder whether perhaps you are watching a different game to the rest of us. Surely you can see with your eyes dawsons disposal and give him credit for it, regardless of whether he should be in the side or not?
I'm sure he does watch the footy. I'm also pretty sure he reads this forum, and is very clever to pick topics that he knows will fuel debate and division. That's his greatest skill.

It's like throwing a chip out the car window, then laughing your tits off watching the seagulls all scramble and fight each other.

Or in his case, more like putting a chip on the dashboard then sit back and amuse yourself as seagull after seagull fly into the window. :lol:

devil saint
Club Player

Dawson has been a great pick up this year, no doubt. And, to add to the debate, he has great foot skills. What we need to realise, though, is that the Saints have had the least defensive 50 entries of any club and so the defence, whilst they have been solid, haven't had as much pressure on them in the opposition's arc. When we played the Kangas a couple of weeks ago Dawson was shocking, imo, and max would have done a much better job. If it is horses for courses this week Max must play against the small, agile filth forwards. It's imperative he plays for mine.

matrix
Saintsational Legend