Baldock the coach...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milton66
SS Life Member

Baldock the coach...

I recall the club trying for many years to get him to coach, and the fanfare when he finally accepted the gig.

In keeping with club tradition, he was hailed as our new Messiah.

Sadly, his career was cut short by his stroke.

But what was he like as a coach?

Can any of the older posters who were close to the club shed some light, please?

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
yipper
SS Life Member

Doc was an excellent coach, had a great football knowledge. His stroke cut short what was shaping as a very productive coaching career. He was no longer able to communicate with the players. But before the stroke, he turned Plugger into the dynamo he became and introduced a young rob Harvey to AFL footy. Gave us the first signs of professionalism at our club, which was taken to another level by Sheldon afterwards.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
St.Rob8
Club Player

Very stressed! I guess when you could play like a God and you are coaching the Saints of the 80's you are going to be pretty frustrated. Mind you he was coach in the early Lockett Winmar years. I remember him saying something like "The Tail doesn't normally wag the dog, but when the tail is Tony Lockett, you have to think again!".

Unfair to compare to todays coaches, but I think he was from the old school of fire and brimstone coaching a few gems of talent amongst a mediocre group, however those gems (Frawley, Lockett, Loewe, Winmar) went on to become the basis of our early 90's success. Still, it was great watching guys like the Cunninghams, Greg Burns, Rod Owen, Mad Dog Muir and Barks punch against their wheight at Moorabin. The Late 70s and 80s was tough as hell with us winning 6 woodies in 12 years, and not doing much better in the other years. Baldock's reign marked the begining of the end of that period.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I remember him as a great communicator before his stroke.
The club certainly got a lift when he arrived on the scene.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Wasn't he notorius for having a punt, and therefore not the greatest role model for Rod Owen?

I also recall a story about a team meeting beore they were to play Essendon. He was trying to convince the team that could win, but Burns kept saying they couldn't.

GrumpyOne

Milton66 wrote:Wasn't he notorius for having a punt, and therefore not the greatest role model for Rod Owen?
The Doc mainly punted on his own horses...... Rocket Rod would punt on two flies crawling up a wall.

claystreet
Club Player

ahh The Doc i remember the excitement around the club when he was appointed and how he took a loose cannon FF and turned him into something.

I had 2 jumpers as a kid and they had 2 different numbers these numbers were 4 and 10. When i was at school i always wanted to play CHF or ruck even though i was midfield size all because the Doc could play CHF and wasnt a big man. I wanted to play ruck so i could do a big Carl on all and sundry.

The Doc in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmKkdNWXUSs

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

He had a problem remembering the players names :wink:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
stinger
Saintsational Legend

he was captain coach of the tasmanian football team when he was 21..,,,then captain of our only premiership team..later ..minister for sport in tasmania...says it all really

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
spert
Saintsational Legend

I remember the club starting to getting much more competitive under Doc as coach, and no doubt would have had more success if he hadn't had health problems that cut his coaching career short.

Milton66
SS Life Member

His views on Lockett potentially being the greatest CHF ever, were well known. You can only wonder where we would have gone had his health been ok.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:He had a problem remembering the players names :wink:
Just ask Rodney.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I seem to remember Stewie Loewe saying that Doc used to pick him up every day, take him to an oval and teach him how to play CHF.
Was certainly big on picking kids. Harves and Burke debuted in his time (along with plenty of others). A few went from the under 19's to the seniors in the same season.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:I seem to remember Stewie Loewe saying that Doc used to pick him up every day, take him to an oval and teach him how to play CHF.
Was certainly big on picking kids. Harves and Burke debuted in his time (along with plenty of others). A few went from the under 19's to the seniors in the same season.

the doc's stroke and trevor's death f***ed us for years and years........ :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
remboy wrote:I seem to remember Stewie Loewe saying that Doc used to pick him up every day, take him to an oval and teach him how to play CHF.

the doc's stroke and trevor's death f***ed us for years and years........ :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Without wanting to disrespect those guys that is totally untrue what you just said.

mcadam05
Club Player

SENsaintsational wrote:
Saint Bev wrote:He had a problem remembering the players names :wink:
Just ask Rodney.
he wasn't the only one heres a pic of Robert Harvey's player badge from 1989

poatina
Club Player

r
He was hugely successful in Tassie , mainly as a captain - coach. Tough too. One story has it that an ex - VFL boom recruit was playing well below the Doc's expectations and the Doc made the point by hitting him flush on the chin , laying him out , in the three - quarter time address.
Makes Ken Sheldon giving Davenport a shake look pretty tame .