Luke Ball is in!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Luke Ball is in!

...according to Mike Gleason of The Age.

ST KILDA midfielder Luke Ball's time in football purgatory appears likely to be at least temporarily over with the onballer almost certain to come into the Saints' team for Sunday's qualifying final.

Ball and ruckman Michael Gardiner are likely to come in to the line-up to play Collingwood, but full-back Max Hudghton's chance of a return appears slim.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/ba ... 54032.html

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SaintWodonga
Club Player

Good news for both of them.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I hope so, I miss him an awful lot....I am officially over no sentiment!

HarveysDeciple

I personally think that's good all round.

Ball and Gardiner in.

But Max probably hasn't forced Zac out yet.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:I hope so, I miss him an awful lot....I am officially over no sentiment!
same here

maybe just a LITTLE- sentiment around the fact and tact. 8-)

BUt You Know Best Ross and SOS and TONY and TUDES

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:I personally think that's good all round.

Ball and Gardiner in.

But Max probably hasn't forced Zac out yet.
you leading the program with this news tonight Dasher? or parko or what ever nickname they are trying this week :)

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I just cant help but feel Max's (if fit) speed - especially closing - is very important against mid size Collingwood fwds who arent bad overhead and who will isolate a Baker type.....gonna be interesting.

“Yeah….nah””
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:I just cant help but feel Max's (if fit) speed - especially closing - is very important against mid size Collingwood fwds who arent bad overhead and who will isolate a Baker type.....gonna be interesting.
yep - 2 out of 3 aint bad, but 3 out of 3 is better!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: Luke Ball is in!

desertsaint wrote:...according to Mike Gleason of The Age.

ST KILDA midfielder Luke Ball's time in football purgatory appears likely to be at least temporarily over with the onballer almost certain to come into the Saints' team for Sunday's qualifying final.

Ball and ruckman Michael Gardiner are likely to come in to the line-up to play Collingwood, but full-back Max Hudghton's chance of a return appears slim.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/ba ... 54032.html
Pure speculation on the part of the journo !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

claystreet
Club Player

All journo huff and puff

Still cant get over people waiting for Max to replace Zac. Whats Zac done so wrong to lose his place to an out of form Maxy?

elphie
Club Player

i agree. certainly seems like only these changes to our team given ROSS'S comments this week in the press. and remembering how he also said the absence of BALL'S grunt in the middle last year was crucial to our finals campaign.

reading also seems to indicate GARDINER is not fully fit and we won't risk him going down early and one short in a big final.

so;

IN: BALL
OUT: WHO? surely, EDDY?

seems MCQUALTER has rightly stitched up the defensive forward position as can kick goals and tackles well. DEMPSTER is the only other fringe player who is versatile and probably will get job on a small damaging Coll. small forward (and swing to fwd line as lead-up in absence of GWILT and EDDY).

do you agree?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

elphie wrote:reading also seems to indicate GARDINER is not fully fit and we won't risk him going down early and one short in a big final.
i'd suggest that, while he might not play, he'll definitely be named in the side. it's all about the ducks and drakes. mcevoy will be named emergency and if gardiner doesn't come up by sunday then he'll be in then - but not before.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Nice to see Mike Gleeson on our match committee.

What a load of claptrap.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
older saint
SS Life Member

Woods and Fraser are both fairly mobile so do not discount the option of Max coming in and Blake rucking.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Hope its true, but probably media speculation at this point

I love this club
Milton66
SS Life Member

Totally misleading thread title. ffs. :roll:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

claystreet wrote:All journo huff and puff

Still cant get over people waiting for Max to replace Zac. Whats Zac done so wrong to lose his place to an out of form Maxy?
Exactly.

Gleeson totally lost me when he even bothered to mention Rocca.

IF the Pies were stupid enough to even give a millsecond's thought to bringing in Rocca, they don't deserve to be in the finals!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
claystreet wrote:All journo huff and puff

Exactly.

Gleeson totally lost me when he even bothered to mention Rocca.

IF the Pies were stupid enough to even give a millsecond's thought to bringing in Rocca, they don't deserve to be in the finals!
Oh, but it would be a MM masterstroke :wink:

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

elphie wrote: stitched up the defensive forward position as can kick goals and tackles well. DEMPSTER is the only other fringe player who is versatile and probably will get job on a small damaging Coll. small forward (and swing to fwd line as lead-up in absence of GWILT and EDDY).

do you agree?
Why do you think that Dempster is a fringe player? This I do not understand and have seen a few posters associated this tag with him. He has played all 8 games since comming back from his knee reconstruction and is obviously valued highly by Ross. Is the new Jason Blake in the sense that he is versatile, and for that reason, like Blake was (now strictly a defender) he is safe in our 22.

Plays up forward against the dogs and played his role, tagged Hodge against the Hawks and did a very good job, and will probably be used in a similar roll this weekend.

If we were to loose a backman, or someone like Clint, or Gwilt during a game, he would be the person most likely to patch up that position. (or maybe Bj).

Carpe Diem
SaintHomer
Club Player

I thought lyon had said gardiner will miss again.

i'll believe any of this only when either run out on the ground

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Unforgiven wrote:
elphie wrote: stitched up the defensive forward position as can kick goals and tackles well. DEMPSTER is the only other fringe player who is versatile and probably will get job on a small damaging Coll. small forward (and swing to fwd line as lead-up in absence of GWILT and EDDY).

do you agree?
Why do you think that Dempster is a fringe player? This I do not understand and have seen a few posters associated this tag with him. He has played all 8 games since comming back from his knee reconstruction and is obviously valued highly by Ross. Is the new Jason Blake in the sense that he is versatile, and for that reason, like Blake was (now strictly a defender) he is safe in our 22.

Plays up forward against the dogs and played his role, tagged Hodge against the Hawks and did a very good job, and will probably be used in a similar roll this weekend.

If we were to loose a backman, or someone like Clint, or Gwilt during a game, he would be the person most likely to patch up that position. (or maybe Bj).
Ppl think he's a fringe player b/c he's had no impact since coming into the team. He looks unsure of himself when he's got the ball, and makes critical errors. Very similar to Eddy.

Having said all that - Ross obviously does value him, and that hard running negating role is obviously under rated by supporters, but crucial to Ross's game plan. I would play Dempster b4 Eddy, but don't reckon we can afford to have too many of these types in the team unless they find the pill occasionally as well.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Moods wrote:
Unforgiven wrote:

do you agree?

Ppl think he's a fringe player b/c he's had no impact since coming into the team. He looks unsure of himself when he's got the ball, and makes critical errors. Very similar to Eddy.

Having said all that - Ross obviously does value him, and that hard running negating role is obviously under rated by supporters, but crucial to Ross's game plan. I would play Dempster b4 Eddy, but don't reckon we can afford to have too many of these types in the team unless they find the pill occasionally as well.
It's the old 'he doesn't have an impact' chestnut that makes me laugh.

Dempster is not a fringe player for the following reasons;

1. He can play a variety of ROLES
2. He's 190cm, has a good tank & is physical
3. He can play shut down roles on a variety of types
4. He knows the game plan & sticks to it.
5. He's a very good kick
6. He doesn't need 25 possessions to impact a game

While the large majority of us would love to see Bally & Max back, you cannot replace a player like Dempster with either of them primarily because Sean plays a number of roles that Ross deems critical to the game plan.

I may be proven wrong at selection tonight but I'd be amazed and disappointed if I am, especially considering Collingwood's strength is it's depth of mid size onballers and forwards (precisely the type that Dempster will play on).

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I just wish ONE of the roles he played was actually getting the pill occasionally and doing something constructive with it. He did this as well as the other roles you listed last year Animal Enclosure.

I don't necessarily disagree with you though. If he keeps one of their dangerous fwds quiet, lays 1/2 doz tackles and doesn't do much else, I will be satisfied.

S.A Saint
Club Player

Moods wrote:I just wish ONE of the roles he played was actually getting the pill occasionally and doing something constructive with it. He did this as well as the other roles you listed last year Animal Enclosure.

I don't necessarily disagree with you though. If he keeps one of their dangerous fwds quiet, lays 1/2 doz tackles and doesn't do much else, I will be satisfied.
well that's what he has been doing so far this year on halfbacks and other and in other positions :roll:

spert
Saintsational Legend

Dempster is doing Ok for the team and finals experience is gold, and he can be used either end of the ground -another plus in finals and something I think RL is pretty keen on..adaptability.