Do the rules permit us to rookie Mark Coughlan in 2010??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Yes I agree lets get Coughlan and Robbo. While we are at it Lets get Bazza back, see if the Tigers still want Ben and if Wells Icke is still alive see if we can get him to. What do people smoke these days
I was simply stating that he was one of their better players last night. I see no reason why we cannot take advantage of the fact that alot of clubs in rebuilding phases may heavily prune some players, that could potentially be a good prospect for our club while we dwell around the top of the ladder for a couple of seasons....
If you keep getting older players and you dont win the flag you eventually fall apart. You have got to give the younger players a go. Our time is now not next year with slow under performing hacks.
Well, I fail to see where anyone said to load the list up with "hacks" unless I missed something. We have got the balance right this year between youth and trading, why not again next year?
We have traded for older ruckmen because we didnt have any but when have we traded for 27 year olds who play very slow football in the midfield. If we want to get a player who will have a real impact next season ans who is available then the first choice would have to be Hally. By far and away the best player without a club. My suggestion is we dont get anyone out of all the guys without club but we certainly dont get a slow midfielder who has struggled to get a game in the last 10 weeks.
We picked up Farren who doesn't fit either of your catergories, and a similar prospect may present itself again? I am sure that a 33+ forward would not be part of our plans, it also entirely contradicts what you said earlier...

bigred
Saintsational Legend

His knees are Rooohooohoooted.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
reincarnated

Farren was 22/23 if it didnt work out we had some laughs and killed some time

Coughlan might be a little different Reincarnated thinks

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

reincarnated wrote:Farren was 22/23 if it didnt work out we had some laughs and killed some time

Coughlan might be a little different Reincarnated thinks
I wish people would read the thread, as I believe only the OP suggested we should take Coughlan. I simply corrected the fact that someone suggested he wasn't in the best for the Tigers last night. I brought up Farren, as Plugger66 suggested we only drafted for senior ruckman this year.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

The thread is about Coughlan and he is not needed at St Kilda.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
ace
Saintsational Legend

A rookie must be under 23 at the start of the year.
Except for a mature age rookie who is over 23 and never been on an AFL list (senior or rookie).

No he can not be rookied.

He can still be traded.
Otherwise he has to go on a senior list by being selected in the national draft or pre season draft.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

Seaford_Saint wrote:Handbrake....

He was claerly in the top 2 Tigers on the ground tonight..

He won a B&F for Richmond at a very young age, and was clearly the next captain until his horrible run with Injury

What's my drinking got to do with the price of fish??
Fish! :shock: , who is trying to sell Fish, Fish is a required player and so is Chips.
And stay out away from my still.
That hooch is all mine.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
rexy
SS Life Member

ace wrote:
Seaford_Saint wrote:Handbrake....

He was claerly in the top 2 Tigers on the ground tonight..

He won a B&F for Richmond at a very young age, and was clearly the next captain until his horrible run with Injury

What's my drinking got to do with the price of fish??
Fish! :shock: , who is trying to sell Fish, Fish is a required player and so is Chips.
And stay out away from my still.
That hooch is all mine.
I have never been able to work out which one is fish and which one chips but it wont matter next year. Wouldnt have thought there will be two Fishers required for 2010.

Only possible reason to contemplate Coghlan could be if Ball asks for a trade? I dont think he will, but if he did then another in and under could be handy?

Maybe this year?
vacuous space
SS Life Member

I hope Brown and Coughlan find new homes, but I don't think they will. Maybe someone will take a punt on Brown finding consistent form on a better team. I don't think so though. I think the sort of teams that could use them will opt for much less talented players in their early twenties in the hope that those players will amount to something - just like the Tigers. The Saints clearly don't need them. We're struggling for list spots as it is.

I'd really hate to be a Richmond supporter right now. Hardwick is going to gut his team which, I guess, is understandable. All he's going to get for it though is a bunch of picks in an ordinary draft. That's just the way Wallace started out. He's got to be praying right now that Melbourne pass on Butcher (or win tomorrow).

Even if the get the spoon in 2010 that will only net them the #4 pick. They've got ordinary talls at both ends and a weak group in the middle. With the exception of Deledio their best players are all over-25. Cotchin and Vickery are their only real A-grade prospects. It's hard to see them making finals for another three years. It seems to be the way teams are going at the moment, but I reckon there's got to be a better way than nuking your team and starting again.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
bigred
Saintsational Legend

5 year plan indeed with that list.

Seriously, Melbourne may finish last this year, but their list has some upside to it already, before they score some decent picks this year.

Richmond's list is just freakin horribad.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
vacuous space
SS Life Member

bigred wrote:5 year plan indeed with that list.
Indeed. It's like Hardwick is walking in there waving the white flag before they've even played a game. I would have thought he would have tried to see if he could have got more out of some of the more talented players than Wallace did. Especially since they're not short on players to delist anyway. Bowden and Johnson are gone, Simmonds is all but gone. Surely Oakley-Nicholls and Schulz have had their chance. Hughes has faded into nothing after showing some promise. Connors hasn't done much. I don't know about Raines. McMahon is useless; Pettifer is a poor man's Nathan Brown.

I reckon with that group, I'd be keeping Brown and Couglan. I guess Hardwick is going to try the 09 Freo strategy of seeing how much sticks to the wall.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Coughlan is well well past his best...there is no way The Saints will draft him....

I'm more concerned about the rumour we'll draft McMahon..i hope that story has no substance......

Will we pick up a player in the SSP window :?:
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I would trade for Tambling or Riewoldt.

I honestly think that they should be quality players.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

bigred wrote:I would trade for Tambling or Riewoldt.
Jack's a decent key forward, but I see him as more of a filler until they find a better one. I don't think he's ever going to be a dominant player the way his cousin is. He's probably more of a Travis Cloke type - capable of a big game, but not really the type you build a forward line around.

I forgot about Tambling. He was probably the one pleasant surprise of Richmond's season.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Jack could really excel as a third forward imo. With a couple of decent guys around him, could be a really good hit up half forward.

The past coach was a muppet and kept dumping him back to the magoos for two weeks, then bring him up, then drop him again. Really, all he needed was to get some games into him. Wallace....strange coach imo.

Tambling was crucified at the start of the year. Kid was a superstar junior. A freak really. I would be happy if he found his way to the club.

Kinda wondering what the new coach will use as currency.