Raph Clarke?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Shaggy
Club Player

Love Raph ... he can seriously play.

Happy to argue against anyone who thinks otherwise.

LondonSaint
Club Player

It's a touchy topic indeed. Raph has been a whipping boy on this forum for a while (sometimes for good reason I might add).. At the moment the boy is playing ok, so, any negativity towards him is unwarranted.. especially when Gwilt and Maxy have not set the world on fire either.

To me, Raph is a frustrating talent.

Strength:
- can read the play quite well? that's why he's often the loose man down back.
- can provide run and carry
- reasonable skills when there is no pressure.
- finals experience (he plays better as a loose man.. )
- Good height.. however, he is in between sizes.. not tall enough to play a key position, not quick enough to play on a crumber, leading small forward)

Weakness
- Go to ground a fair bit, not strong enough?
- Not overly accountable (often see him trailing behind his man at marking contest)
- Contested ball? (our other backs all can win contested ball very well (Fisher, Glibert, Ray even Blake)
- decision making, skills can be very suspect when under pressure (this is highlighted even more in a backman.. Blake has improved in this area out of sight in my opinion)

I think a lot of Raph's weaknesses are masked when he's playing the loose man.. although when he does make mistakes, it's magnified because they often lead to goals unfortunately..

He can definitely improve as a player.. and if we have a solid rebounding small back in the mould of Wirrapunda, Hodge, Gilbee, Raph wouldn't be playing..

So, that's Raph in a nut shell.. I will be shouted down no doubt.. look at this as highlighting areas Raph can improve on.. Hopefully he can.. after 6 years and only 53 games to his name.. he needs to and do it quickly.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

we have a terrible team....worst st kilda team to EVERY go 19.2 into round 22...

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Shaggy
Club Player

Dan Warna wrote:we have a terrible team....worst st kilda team to EVERY go 19.2 into round 22...
Fairly average response to london and he doesn't deserve it.

On the topic Raph will be a premiership player this year lol and good stuff for him ... he has been great for us.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

<shrug> we are doing really well this year and all folks can do is find fault with everything.

I understand criticism when we are s***, god knows i've been there, but im really enjoing this year and the misery of our foes :)

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Anyone making that first post must be a troll, or has been watching rugby all year in Sydney.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
LondonSaint
Club Player

Dan,

I understand what you are saying. Negativity for negativity sake is not constructive.. especially when the team is playing unbelievable football (albeit the last two weeks). I am more than satisfied with the team's performance and really enjoying it.. (getting up 7/8 am on the weekend to watch the boys live has never felt so good, i'm in London btw).

Even if we don't win the premiership.. i'm happy.. (will be dissapointed obviously at first)... this is because winning a premiership requires a lot of things going for you.. a good team, luck (draw), injury among other things.. so, we can only do the best we can.. this team has came a long way.. and is playing team football for the first time in years.. having said that we need to grab the chance while we can.. just look at Hawthorn.

I was just trying to analyse why Raph has been such a maligned player among supporters... i think the fact that he is a top 10 pick, have been inconsistent (53 games in 6 years) and some decision making had a lot to do with it.. but no one's perfect.. so, Hopeflly i didn't come across as too negative and Raph can improve from here and star for us in the finals.

Go Saints.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
bobmurray wrote:sometimes it's quite obvious people are posting after a few frothies..

they are normally aggressive........ :lol:
Must admit George never got aggressive even when Eric nicked his wife. :P
He should have drank more then he would have cared

Will we pick up a player in the SSP window :?:
Milton66
SS Life Member

Shaggy wrote:Love Raph ... he can seriously play.

Happy to argue against anyone who thinks otherwise.
Agree. You won't get a peep out of me. :shock: 8-)

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Sainterman
Club Player

Raph has been getting better every week. Usually takes him a few games on end to get going. IMO he was our best player in last years finals series, and there are plenty of reasons to have him there. He certainly isn't slow, i think it is his running style that makes people think this.

Playing in defence highlights any errors so when he makes one it does stand out. He is still relatively young and I think he has his best footy in front of him. Happy with him in the side and think he adds run and carry, and breaks the lines from time time too.

Maybe this all makes me part of the pro Raph group, just can't see why he is constantly singled out.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
stinger wrote:
clarky449 wrote:You have no right to tell this poster to piss off and die, you are not more important and if they want to come on here well it is up to them.
you can join him..if you think it is okay for a f****** troll to come on here and bag raph....

ps...and you have no right to try and correct me.... and......where did i actually tell him to die...although i wish i had thought of that first.... :wink: :wink: :wink:
Directed to Joffa boy buddy, how do you know he is a troll, he asked why does Ross Lyon pick Raph over Gwilt etc, i dont think that is being a troll. Some of you need to get there head out of there ass and stop thinking you own this site.

including you it would seem......wtf did i say that i owned this site......i am sick to death of idiots coming on here with the sole intention of bagging raph

sorry about the mistake though...i don't normally read jb's posts so i missed that..........

oh.and..he's a troll alright.....but ..as you say it's a free forum ..so i don't have to answer to you or give you an explanation......
Last edited by stinger on Sat 29 Aug 2009 12:47am, edited 2 times in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:with the soul intention
http://www.soulintentionband.com/

8-)

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
stinger wrote:with the soul intention
http://www.soulintentionband.com/

8-)

:oops: :wink: ...i fixed it before you posted...left it for awhile to see if anyboby was on the ball though....

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

And I was... :wink:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:And I was... :wink:

as i have come to expect..... :wink: :lol:

asiu

Some of you need to get there head out of there ass and stop thinking you own this site.
some of us might wanna slow down , express clearly

then , pick the biggest target and go hard young man

the site needs more larger than life characters .... :)

i told the ex mother in law that , no , thats not quite true ...i actually told her to stick her head up her arse...talk about the death look from the him reamer ....fair dinkum , what a pillick....

oh yea , nice read londonsaint ...ta

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

I would prefer Raph over Gwilt any day.

I find Raph to be more penetrating or punishing in his disposal. AND FASTER.

Gwilt is a millisecond off the pace.

I predict Raph will have another excellent finals series.