gilbert and Fisher

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Finna
Club Player

gilbert and Fisher

Just finished watching the Geelong game and I forgot how good Gilbert was in this game and also Sam Fisher (particularly in the 1st Quarter).

Are these guys the key?

They have been a bit off of late (injury and form) and it seems that when these guys (especially Gilbert) are out or not switched on we tend struggle a bit. Particularly with our run from half back. The Hawks game being the only exception.

Our backline - the defensive efforts and the run just looks so much more dangerous when these guys are firing.

Trusting that they are saving themselves for the next 5 weeks!

Thoughts....

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

agree. they arent the key but they are bloody important! both down a bit. they will certainly play a big role in how we go in finals.. if they struggle we struggle.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Geelong didn't man up on Sam Fisher in the first quarter and paid the price. Sam Gilbert was in stunning form until his back injury - backing his judgement, going for contested marks and taking on the tackler. He was the key to the back six. But a few weeks out, and perhaps lingering fitness concerns (at least in his mind) have sowed the seeds of doubt. We have seen similar doubt creep in with Zac. They all just have to remember what they did when they backed themselves and went for it. Whilst "it" can go, "it" can also return.

Mr X from the West
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:Geelong didn't man up on Sam Fisher in the first quarter and paid the price. Sam Gilbert was in stunning form until his back injury - backing his judgement, going for contested marks and taking on the tackler. He was the key to the back six. But a few weeks out, and perhaps lingering fitness concerns (at least in his mind) have sowed the seeds of doubt. We have seen similar doubt creep in with Zac. They all just have to remember what they did when they backed themselves and went for it. Whilst "it" can go, "it" can also return.
Spot on. I think Gilbert is THE KEY for us. Hope he can recover his mojo quickly.

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

fisher and gilbert are down on form.

but i've come 100% around from hating the coach to trusting his instincts.

while the howls were out for baker when he came back from injury, bakes has done his job.

raphael clarke looks settled and competent in the senior side.

blake is quality utility you can throw anywhere on the ground and his field kicking is probably just behind goddards in quality.

zac dawson has the hawthorn fans howling at their administration of donating him to st kilda.

if the coach belives fish and gilbert are the best options i'm happy to trust him.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Finna
Club Player

Agreed, they are down on form - or struggling with injury - and I think they are the best option in their positions...no doubt.

Just commenting on their importance and their impact on the overall teams performance. Especially Gilbert. It seems when he is on we are a vastly different proposition.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Those guys and Mcqualter and Bill Clinton Jones are the key imo.

Our good players, good midfielders, forwards are always going to be tagged.

Mcqualter and Jones are never going to be tagged and if they give us that 100% effort we will be ultimately successful this year.

Always your "bottom" few players are the key. If they drop off, the good players can't carry the weight and the team struggles.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Some players can impact our peformance, when in form and firing...but I am not sure that we can rely on only one or two being the key. Even if they blitz in the finals, we need the entire defence working cohesively.