form leading up to the big one-comparisons

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

form leading up to the big one-comparisons

I know that its not QUITE the same thing, but in the English FA cup competition its quite normal to see one or both teams that qualify for the final have a drastic drop in league form during the period between the Semi final and Wembley itself.
We "reached" the finals weeks ago and I reckon H&A form should not be taken TOO seriously before we start up our finals campaign

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
plumtire
Club Player

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure one or ten WILL!) but in 1997 did we not enter September on the back of a blistering finish in the home and away series. We then went on to SMASH North Melbourne (Carey and all) in the Prelim, only to lose badly to a team unrated at fifth position.
Jigger is close to the money here in saying FORM MEANS NOTHING!

Superboot
SS Life Member

As you say, it's not quite the same but the situation can be analogous to some extent in that teams that reach the cup final can be in mid-table with no real prospect of going up or down, and so in effect can have little else to play for. We have had the misfortune in a sense of being guaranteed top spot, win or lose. I wonder whether our form would have dropped in the previous two games had we been battling to hold on for a top two finish.

I don't need to remind you, Dave, that although we reached the final we fell in a horrible heap after the first 45 secs!!!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: form leading up to the big one-comparisons

thejiggingsaint wrote:I know that its not QUITE the same thing, but in the English FA cup competition its quite normal to see one or both teams that qualify for the final have a drastic drop in league form during the period between the Semi final and Wembley itself.
We "reached" the finals weeks ago and I reckon H&A form should not be taken TOO seriously before we start up our finals campaign
Tapering

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Hey Superboot no need to remind me about that! Remember '68? We played West Brom in the final. We'd thrashed them home and away (6-2 at their midden if I'm not mistaken) so had definite form going in to the game.......history shows how relevant THAT was!

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I believe our form slipped about 5 weeks ago. We just fell in against Sydney, then it took 7 changes to have a better win against Hawthorn. Then the two losses with the normal team back together (nearly).

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I believe our form slipped about 5 weeks ago. We just fell in against Sydney, then it took 7 changes to have a better win against Hawthorn. Then the two losses with the normal team back together (nearly).
When was it that we secured top spot?

Superboot
SS Life Member

thejiggingsaint wrote:Hey Superboot no need to remind me about that! Remember '68? We played West Brom in the final. We'd thrashed them home and away (6-2 at their midden if I'm not mistaken) so had definite form going in to the game.......history shows how relevant THAT was!
4-0 and 6-2 that season, and then 4-0 again next time around after the Final. Sheeeeesh!!

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Superboot wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:Hey Superboot no need to remind me about that! Remember '68? We played West Brom in the final. We'd thrashed them home and away (6-2 at their midden if I'm not mistaken) so had definite form going in to the game.......history shows how relevant THAT was!
4-0 and 6-2 that season, and then 4-0 again next time around after the Final. Sheeeeesh!!
Did Trebilcock play in any of those games? :shock:

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

No Mate, dear old Mike Trebilcock (affectionately known as Three D***s) had departed at the end of 67 I believe. Mike made himself a legend by those two goals in '66 I was there to witness the miracle recovery from two goals down.....it was then that I was convinced that one should NEVER make assumptions/presumtions about anything in sport...and NEVER give up while there is a chance!
Incidentally I remember Palace's brave efforts in the early 90's V Man Utd.
Should have won in the first game!