Final comment on Roos - but did anyone notice ....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Newman
Club Player

Final comment on Roos - but did anyone notice ....

For the past 3 games we've given the Kangaroos a 5 goal start!!! I'm sure we did it in our previous game this year and then at Carrara last year. In fact we didn't score our first goal at Carrara until the 2nd quarter and by then I was convinced we had lost and our season was over. Actually when we came back and beat them I believe that was a major turning point and from then on we played mostly good footy and actually ended 4th. But I still would like to ask the question ... why do the Saints like to give the Roos these 5 goal head starts??

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Final comment on Roos - but did anyone notice ....

Newman wrote:why do the Saints like to give the Roos these 5 goal head starts??
i don't know, but we can't afford to do this against anyone else from here on in. must start better.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

I think you panic to much Newman, I remember in 96 you were convinced we would loose the night grand final. 8-)

Qld Saints Supporter Group
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Final comment on Roos - but did anyone notice ....

Newman wrote:For the past 3 games we've given the Kangaroos a 5 goal start!!! I'm sure we did it in our previous game this year and then at Carrara last year. In fact we didn't score our first goal at Carrara until the 2nd quarter and by then I was convinced we had lost and our season was over. Actually when we came back and beat them I believe that was a major turning point and from then on we played mostly good footy and actually ended 4th. But I still would like to ask the question ... why do the Saints like to give the Roos these 5 goal head starts??
Was wondering that myself?

In Carrara, they were full of beans after beating the Hawks and we were considered an easy kill. After being five goals down and our season knocking on deaths door, we clicked.

Earlier this year, we wear apparently due for a loss and their season was knocking on deaths door. Desperation, mind games and some thuggery got them out to a five goal lead, but then they ran out firepower!

Last Sunday, we're guaranteed top spot and haven't got much to play for, except a rebound, whereas they had their careers on the line and a new coach watching them like a hawk. Just one of those games where everything just went they're way, you get those games. Yet we only lost by the five points, could have been our third come from behind.

Been a funny rivalry the last two years! :)

Bad management is bad management
Newman
Club Player

True St Bev ... I do panic.

But let's be honest - when you and I bumped into one another pre-season 2008 we were both pretty optimistic about our chances that year. Ok we scraped into the Top 4 but ... Did you feel the same way in 2009? Can't say I did. But I'm so glad that I was wrong. Maybe I panicked too soon!

aussiejones
Club Player

Giving a 5 goal start is not on .

It was one of those days where everything seemed to go their way (mostly) , and it didnt really matter for us.

Our loss was due to lack of concentration (ie Zac watching his man instead of the ball )
Lack of clearances ( missing Hayes & Ball)
Inaccuracy in front of goal.

This week we need to be switched on from the start