Write us off at your own peril!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Write us off at your own peril!

As tedious as the last two weeks have been for club and supporters alike, we have had our losses, the baggage of being the first truly undefeated team has been lifted and frankly I'm stoked! Who really wanted to run the risk going through the home and away series undefeated, only to lose an important final? Or worse, do the Geelong of last year?

I completely understand how frustrating last Sunday's loss was for supporters and I think more than a few needed a good vent, including myself. But if anything, what that loss taught us was that we are still mortal and if we are even but a few percent off in match, even the most unlikely of opposition will get us, no matter how good we are or think we are!

This Sunday is a fresh start. One more match before finals, first match at the G, we have had our losses, the season has been put in perspective and our boys are frothing to make a point, if not to the public, certainly to themselves!

The media will never change, first we need a loss or two, rest our star players, not take any unnecessary risks. Now it's that we have flirted with our form, lost our mojo, after two losses we are in trouble, can't teach club culture any new tricks. Take everything they say as hot air.

As far as the media and Pie supporters are concerned, it's a one horse race. Let 'em have the spot light, let 'em sell more papers. Our boys were good enough to win the first 19 matches of the season are they're good enough to not let two losses derail everything they have been fighting tooth and nail for. God forbid, if they did, we wouldn't deserve the big one. Granted, timing is not good, but every premiership campaign has it's hurdles and stumbles, that's why they call it a marathon and no one said it was ever going to be easy.

Write the Saints off, your funeral!

CARN YOU F**KING SAINTERS!!! :D :D :D

Bad management is bad management
Raven
Club Player

I hate to play devil's advocate but... what if we lose to Melbourne in a close one? First vs Last. I feel sick at the thought.

We won't lose, but I'd be pretty concerned if we did.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Raven wrote:I hate to play devil's advocate but... what if we lose to Melbourne in a close one? First vs Last. I feel sick at the thought.

We won't lose, but I'd be pretty concerned if we did.
What if we lose this week but win the granny? What if we smash the Dees but lose the first final? What if we beat the Dees and win our first final but lose the prelim?

Destiny is in our hands of our boy's, it's up to them to deal with it!

Bad management is bad management
Moods
Saintsational Legend

I actually wouldn't be surprised if we're flat again this week. Don't expect to lose, but expect to win by about 4-5 goals. It's human nature that some players are in self preservation mode for what could possibly be - history in the making.

As nerve racking and frustrating as it is for us supporters, we won't know truly how we're travelling until half time of the first final.

I have faith though - EVERY time a serious challenger has bobbed their heads up this year, we have played our very best footy. Doggies and crows 5-6 weeks ago a classic case in point. I also reckon that's why the only game we've seen any sort of intensity from the guys in the past month was against the hawks. The team knew they were up against it and a top shelf effort was required. Doesn't matter how much Ross drums it into them , the players know this week really doesn't mean a lot.

Superboot
SS Life Member

Moods wrote:I actually wouldn't be surprised if we're flat again this week. Don't expect to lose, but expect to win by about 4-5 goals. It's human nature that some players are in self preservation mode for what could possibly be - history in the making.

As nerve racking and frustrating as it is for us supporters, we won't know truly how we're travelling until half time of the first final.

I have faith though - EVERY time a serious challenger has bobbed their heads up this year, we have played our very best footy. Doggies and crows 5-6 weeks ago a classic case in point. I also reckon that's why the only game we've seen any sort of intensity from the guys in the past month was against the hawks. The team knew they were up against it and a top shelf effort was required. Doesn't matter how much Ross drums it into them , the players know this week really doesn't mean a lot.
+1

I don't expect to win by much either.

Another dead rubber, effectively a complete waste of time, with nothing to gain and everything to lose.

We have too many players trying to avoid injury or suspension.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:I actually wouldn't be surprised if we're flat again this week. Don't expect to lose, but expect to win by about 4-5 goals. It's human nature that some players are in self preservation mode for what could possibly be - history in the making.

Totally 100% Spot on!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Superboot wrote:

+1

Another dead rubber, effectively a complete waste of time, with nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Plenty to gain this week. After the mids poor performance 2 weeks in a row we need to get back to winning the contested ball by a big margin. Form isnt a tap. You cannot just turn it on when you want to. Another poor performance by our midfield this week does two thinks. Gives other clubs plenty of confidence they can match or beat us in that area and 2 we are a group start to doubt ourselves. We need a very big effort this week. It has been proven over the years that you cannot go into finals performing badly in the last 3 games in the year no matter what your form was like before that.

Superboot
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Superboot wrote:

+1

Plenty to gain this week. After the mids poor performance 2 weeks in a row we need to get back to winning the contested ball by a big margin. Form isnt a tap. You cannot just turn it on when you want to. Another poor performance by our midfield this week does two thinks. Gives other clubs plenty of confidence they can match or beat us in that area and 2 we are a group start to doubt ourselves. We need a very big effort this week. It has been proven over the years that you cannot go into finals performing badly in the last 3 games in the year no matter what your form was like before that.
But against Melbourne, form will be very hard to judge. We might smash them but in reality be little better than in the previous two weeks. We could win by 10 goals with the midfield dominating and still have no idea what sort of state we are in.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Superboot wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Superboot wrote:

+1

But against Melbourne, form will be very hard to judge. We might smash them but in reality be little better than in the previous two weeks. We could win by 10 goals with the midfield dominating and still have no idea what sort of state we are in.
So you think we should just play to win. We need our structures right as it is our only game at the G. better to smash them than just win. We are not going to lose even if we walk off as they will to but you can tell if players are going well even against poor sides. Hit em hard and get the contested ball. At least send a message no matter how small.

Superboot
SS Life Member

Superboot wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Superboot wrote:

+1

You're probably right, but I'm just aware of the fact that there have been teams (like Adelaide) who looked the real deal for weeks on end but it was only because they hadn't played us yet! There have been other teams who have looked brilliant on their day against the likes of Melbourne, but are really very ordinary.

I guess the difference is that we have looked to be in pretty poor form for two weeks, and we should be able to tell whether we really click again or not, even against Melbourne.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:So you think we should just play to win. We need our structures right as it is our only game at the G. better to smash them than just win. We are not going to lose even if we walk off as they will to but you can tell if players are going well even against poor sides. Hit em hard and get the contested ball. At least send a message no matter how small.
yep, we need some momentum.