Are there any classics you like bringing out of the vault?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Are there any classics you like bringing out of the vault?

A lighter topic to tear us away from the forecasted doom and gloom from the media and footy community alike.

Are there any classic matches you love to watch when you one day just think "how 'bout that game?"

Personally, I love my Saints DVD library and some of my life's most treasured memories lie in that collection and I've sadly only been a Sainter for a small period of my life! :D

Personally favorites that I enjoy are -

* 2005 Qualifying Final - Saints defeat Crows.

* 2006 Round 11 - Saints defeat Swans.

* 2007 Round 12 - Saints defeat Eagles.

* 2007 Round 15 - Saints defeat Crows.

* 2008 Round 14 - Saints defeat Kangaroos.

* 2008 Semi Final - Saints defeat Pies.

And recent additions that will get plenty of love -

* 2009 Round 5 - Saints defeat Power.

* 2009 Round 14 - Saints defeat Cats.

All of these gems are but a small number of my collection but will all get a run at least once a year.

Anyone else have a collection and personal favs?

Bad management is bad management
BakesFan
SS Life Member

It's hard to top the '97 Preliminary Final, Saints vs Nth Melbourne.
...or Round 2, 1989.... Saints vs Carlton at Moorabbin.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:It's hard to top the '97 Preliminary Final, Saints vs Nth Melbourne.
...or Round 2, 1989.... Saints vs Carlton at Moorabbin.
That carlton game was one my best days at the footy, although i though it was later in the season, also the 132 point flogging of the crows at moorabbin. Locketts first game back from injury i think

I love this club
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

How about the Mothers Day clash in 1994, St Kilda v Sydney. We were 8 goals down, five minutes into the last quarter, and won by a point. Alas, the game was notable for one other reason. Tony Lockett kept Peter Caven to no kicks in the match, by running through him with an elbow and forearm. Tony kicked 11 goals 2 behinds in the game and got 8 weeks. He picked up two Brownlow votes for the game - those umps can be harsh at times!

Peter Caven's second game back was in Round 22, when we played the Swans again. We beat them easily that time, with Lockett kicking 9 goals 4 behinds and receiving the full three Brownlow votes. Caven got five kicks. It was to be Plugger's penultimate game for the Saints and he would be Caven's teammate in the next year. C'est la vie de merde!

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Two of my all time favourite games is the 101 victory against Syd in 98 and last years win at Carrara. As for a favourite "moment", love CJ mowing down Buddy last year, have replayed that a few times.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Wish I had a copy of the '97 Preliminary Final: Saints vs Nth Melbourne.

Only time I ever saw it was at the game!

Would love to see it again.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
matrix
Saintsational Legend

they showed some footage of it the other day
cant remember where, maybe in the pregame on fox before the nth game.

showed burke and heatley? (dunno) tackling mckerrnan over the line and popping that shoulder out
i hadnt seen any footage since the game either

spert
Saintsational Legend

I was at the Prelim in '97, and I remember the press all getting on North's bandwagon- even the footy record, so it was great to beat the Roos and shut a few critics up.

james rose
Club Player

The Brisbane game where TS40 kicked the winning goal from about 60 meters out.

older saint
SS Life Member

StKilda beating Collingwood at Vic park (last time we played there ) 1993 Winmar Jumper game, no plugger, Harvey off with hammy and McAdam killed them

Unfortunately Winmar walked ut on the club over a pay dispute 3 dyas later - killed team moral and the team spiralled after that.

Superboot
SS Life Member

james rose wrote:The Brisbane game where TS40 kicked the winning goal from about 60 meters out.
Beat me to it.

I'd like to see the 1971 Preliminary Final again, or the final against Essendon when George Young kicked 6!!

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

perfectionist wrote:How about the Mothers Day clash in 1994, St Kilda v Sydney. We were 8 goals down, five minutes into the last quarter, and won by a point. Alas, the game was notable for one other reason. Tony Lockett kept Peter Caven to no kicks in the match, by running through him with an elbow and forearm. Tony kicked 11 goals 2 behinds in the game and got 8 weeks. He picked up two Brownlow votes for the game - those umps can be harsh at times!
Now that's a game I would love in my collection!

Bad management is bad management
SaintWodonga
Club Player

Our Biggest win ever 130 + points over Lions, Milney kicks 11.

Harvey's 350th against WCE as well.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Arthur Mullard
Club Player

are there any classics

haow abaht "till def us do part" :lol:

Yus my dear!!!!!
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

matrixcutter wrote:showed burke and heatley? (dunno) tackling mckerrnan over the line and popping that shoulder out
Brett Cook was the 2nd player in that ferocious gang tackle mate 8-)

Some of my faves:

* 2003 R11 Victory over the Lions (Power marks within shooting range after the siren sounds)

* 2004 R6 Victory over Lions (TS40...Aussie Jones point/OOF debacle)

* 2005 QF over Adelaide (Harves dominant, Chips & Dal also play super games)

* 1997 PF over Nth Melb - Probably my favourite ever moment as a Saints supporter... what a cracking game we were switched on from the outset)

The Saints are coming!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Loved that game, but the glory was somewhat ruined by the badly called point...But that roar when Schwarze kicked truly... Still get all tingly at the thought...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Marcus1232
Club Player

2008 SF vs. Collingwood only one thing better than beating the maggies normally is knocking them out of the finals

And the hawthorn game at the dome last yr when we were 5 goals down and came back to roll them

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:
matrixcutter wrote:showed burke and heatley? (dunno) tackling mckerrnan over the line and popping that shoulder out
Brett Cook was the 2nd player in that ferocious gang tackle mate 8-)

Some of my faves:

* 2003 R11 Victory over the Lions (Power marks within shooting range after the siren sounds)

* 2005 QF over Adelaide (Harves dominant, Chips & Dal also play super games)

* 1997 PF over Nth Melb - Probably my favourite ever moment as a Saints supporter... what a cracking game we were switched on from the outset)

Do you remember that great pic of Barry Hall standing over Carey wwith his fist clenched, Carey looked like he was goning to pee hmself

I love this club
crackers35
Club Player

I taped the last 5 wins he had last year (Port, Freo, Crows, Bombers and Pies in the semi).

After the season was over i watched a different one each week (in order) and usually on the weekend to pass the time the off season takes.

Good times.

If we win the flag this year i'll try to get all of our wins on dvd so i never forget the year.

Looking forward to 2010 - I'm gonna Lovett!
doristhesaint
Club Player

About '93 when we beat the pies filth by 1 point (i think) when sheldon came out of the the box and had a go at davenport on the boundry

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

doristhesaint wrote:About '93 when we beat the pies filth by 1 point (i think) when sheldon came out of the the box and had a go at davenport on the boundry
yes and devenport snapped the winner over his shoulder

I love this club
linz
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:How about the Mothers Day clash in 1994, St Kilda v Sydney. We were 8 goals down, five minutes into the last quarter, and won by a point. Alas, the game was notable for one other reason. Tony Lockett kept Peter Caven to no kicks in the match, by running through him with an elbow and forearm. Tony kicked 11 goals 2 behinds in the game and got 8 weeks. He picked up two Brownlow votes for the game - those umps can be harsh at times!

Peter Caven's second game back was in Round 22, when we played the Swans again. We beat them easily that time, with Lockett kicking 9 goals 4 behinds and receiving the full three Brownlow votes. Caven got five kicks. It was to be Plugger's penultimate game for the Saints and he would be Caven's teammate in the next year. C'est la vie de merde!
That was my favourite too. I remember the commentators saying we were gone, then how gallant we were trying to come back even though we were still gone, then how we were a rough chance etc etc. Plugger was brilliant and was probably the reason why Sydney then went after him with everything they had.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
Winmarvellous
Club Player

Although we lost our qualifying final against Geelong with Winmar and McAdam firing is one of my faves. Constantly played on the night before the GF.

bozza1980
Club Player

Re: Are there any classics you like bringing out of the vaul

SydneySainter wrote:A lighter topic to tear us away from the forecasted doom and gloom from the media and footy community alike.

Are there any classic matches you love to watch when you one day just think "how 'bout that game?"

Personally, I love my Saints DVD library and some of my life's most treasured memories lie in that collection and I've sadly only been a Sainter for a small period of my life! :D

Personally favorites that I enjoy are -

* 2005 Qualifying Final - Saints defeat Crows.

* 2006 Round 11 - Saints defeat Swans.

* 2007 Round 12 - Saints defeat Eagles.

* 2007 Round 15 - Saints defeat Crows.

* 2008 Round 14 - Saints defeat Kangaroos.

* 2008 Semi Final - Saints defeat Pies.

And recent additions that will get plenty of love -

* 2009 Round 5 - Saints defeat Power.

* 2009 Round 14 - Saints defeat Cats.

All of these gems are but a small number of my collection but will all get a run at least once a year.

Anyone else have a collection and personal favs?
The 2 Telstra Dome classics against the Lions in 2003 & 2004.

The hair on the back of my neck still stands up when I see Schwarze let rip for the winner in 2004.

bozza1980
Club Player

linz wrote:

That was my favourite too. I remember the commentators saying we were gone, then how gallant we were trying to come back even though we were still gone, then how we were a rough chance etc etc. Plugger was brilliant and was probably the reason why Sydney then went after him with everything they had.
Definitely one of my favourites.

Talking about the commentary, there is a goal, from Greig I think, that puts us about 4 goals down and the comentator exhalts that we had scored another consolation goal.

Talking about Plugger, I remember Barassi comenting in Inside Football a couple of weeks after the game that the Lockett-Caven incident was one of the reasons why he would never go for a player like Lockett.

The wheel turns pretty quickly!!