Schneider the scapegoat

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Medici Bromberg

Schneider the scapegoat

Picked up this article on Adam Schneider...

http://wp.me/pv188-7H

Still miss the hot dogs at Moorabbin
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

The article isn't a swipe at Adam Schneider: it's a cleverly-worded swipe at the umps. The comments about "revenge" being a dish best eaten cold, etc. border on defamation IMO.

The suggestion that an umpire would let a player's previous behaviour influence his decision would be potential grounds for that umpire to be sacked permanently from the AFL list. If that is Happell's accusation (and, correct me if I'm wrong, the guy used to be the sports editor at The Age, so he's a pretty senior journo), then it is an incredibly serious one.

I personally still don't reckon that the hit on Schneider was head high. But, grudgingly, I would tend to agree that it was an extremely tough "holding the ball" decision.

If there is any evidence that the ump concerned was giving "payback" to Schneider, the guy should be sent back to umpiring the Daly Waters under-16s or whatever.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
goodie
Club Player

That article's pretty much on the money. The umpiring yesterday was, to sugarcoat it, shithouse. But Schneider's antics were stupid.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Schneider's earlier actions were brought about by umpire Keating's numerous poor decisions. I thought the other two umpires were pretty good but Keating looked out of his depth and continually made blatant incorrect decisions (generally in North's favour).

Schneider should be reminded by Ross that umpires are petulant and officious by nature & that giving them any ammunition will have pretty serious consequences (look how they made GT pay for an absolutely correct statement).

We can just hope that;

A) We don't cop Keating in a final
B) The umpiring fraternity doesn't decided to punish Schneider & St Kilda for the rest of the year.
C) Keating is granted a personality transplant (he's been on the waiting list for a number of years.

JABBER
Club Player

schneider the scapegoat

adam should play by the umpires decisions to give away a 50 meter penalty late in the game was a big mistake that cost us time

Adam should learn from Judd and Ablett and when he gets mis handled puts his arms up so the umpire should see it

trevor barker
matrix
Saintsational Legend

thought he was lucky to not get a free against him for the clapping thing....

Sainterman
Club Player

Schneids did the wrong thing clapping the umpire, but the umpires could sure be a little more professional than that. It is bloody average to see what occured yesterday at any level of the game, worse still at the elite level.

As I said before though, bigger things to worry about, such as the factors we can control.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:Schneider's earlier actions were brought about by umpire Keating's numerous poor decisions. I thought the other two umpires were pretty good but Keating looked out of his depth and continually made blatant incorrect decisions (generally in North's favour).

Schneider should be reminded by Ross that umpires are petulant and officious by nature & that giving them any ammunition will have pretty serious consequences (look how they made GT pay for an absolutely correct statement).

We can just hope that;

A) We don't cop Keating in a final
B) The umpiring fraternity doesn't decided to punish Schneider & St Kilda for the rest of the year.
C) Keating is granted a personality transplant (he's been on the waiting list for a number of years.
Agree. Todd Keating has umpired just 22 games, ten of them this year. He won't be getting any finals and will be dropped for his performance.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:umpires could sure be a little more professional than that. It is bloody average to see what occured yesterday at any level of the game, worse still at the elite level.
Understatement of the year IMO. If Keating really did give the free and fifty as a form of payback, it's the most unprofessional thing imaginable.

If he didn't like Schneider sarcastically applauding him, he should have given a warning the first time and a free to the Roos the second time.

Getting personal towards players is a complete no-no IMO. But then, as I have said ad nauseum, I blame Geishen and the AFL admin. If umps are encouraged to address players by their Christian names and/or their nicknames, and make comments like "he probably won't kick this" (as Goldspink used to do), then the umpiring is necessarily "personal".

Umps should be required to go back to addressing players by their numbers. Why else do they have numbers?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
older saint
SS Life Member

Umpires through the media have become personalities of the game. One thing GT was correct about was check the ego at the door, instead you get spanners like Ray Chamberlin, Darren Goldspink and a few others which want their 5 minutes of fame. They are run by the most useless coach ever and are untouchable. Whispers in the SKY was said.

Schnieder was pectulent.

If onoy about 5 years ago they made it like Rugby Union where there is no grey in regards to addressing officials it would have been better , but inturpreations happen each week.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Those pesky little maggots are corrupt......let's just think back to Whispers in The Sky!

Dimwit and he's cronies will never admit to what Pagan once stated (in the article).

Sure, you could argue it's human nature to look down on those that openly chastise you from earlier events, but IF the umpiring department was properly professional (which it isn't!), then this would not be a factor.

aussiejones
Club Player

Should be a lesson for all players ... Schnieders action of clapping twice was stupid , what did he think was going to happen ???

The pay back came later in the game .....was it worth it NO

The players have to put up with decisions they dont like and move on .

Hopefully its a timely reminder to the boys.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

its a bit tough to expect a player to give 110% of their effort and energy into the game and use their emotion and adrenalin the push them self on even further and then at the same time punish them for losing their cool when something that is a basic aspect of the game is missed .. yeah Shnieds is wrong but heck can you really blame the bloke ??..

thats the problem with umps ... they are a small part of the game who think they are a bigger part ..
why have their names published ?? why have numbers on their backs ?? why have umpire "footy" cards ??? i honestly couldnt give a rats arse who the umpire is .. what his lucky number is or what the hell he looks like .. all i want is for him to officiate the game fairly and not impact the game !!!

this umpire should never ump again and all umps should get a wake up call we dont care about you we dont want to hear you we dont want to know you just do your damn job properly and get the F**K off the ground !!!

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

His actions were very silly, but they leave you in no doubt whatsoever that he is now a very passionate Saints man....

reincarnated

The reaction shows that he really cares and has stepped up the mark after being labelled one-dimensional from all

Reincarnated believes he one of the most important players in the team now with his leading and marking around the ground for a small guy being top notch

HarveysDeciple

Might be human nature from the ump but it's not acceptable..

Pay the free kicks, or piss off, if this guy ignored a free kick and penalised a side that was 6 points down in the dying stages out of payback then he should never again umpire AFL football and should receive a fine for taking the game into disrepute.

reincarnated

HarveysDeciple wrote:Might be human nature from the ump but it's not acceptable..

Pay the free kicks, or piss off, if this guy ignored a free kick and penalised a side that was 6 points down in the dying stages out of payback then he should never again umpire AFL football and should receive a fine for taking the game into disrepute.
The AFL is superb at turning spin on situations in an attempt to fool all. Umpires are there to make calls and not get involved personally. If the 'demonstrative' conduct from a player to AFL official report him and let the higher powers deal with him

ace
Saintsational Legend

Are you sure that umpires name starts with a K.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
crackers35
Club Player

It was stupid of Adam Schneider.

He should have known not to stand up the umpire

You know they're right every single time.
They never get anything wrong.
They're perfect.

Schneider is a dog.
Disgraceful.

Sorry. I thought Schneider was the umpire's name. my mistake.

:P

Looking forward to 2010 - I'm gonna Lovett!