Increased Training Load

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

d roit
Club Player

Increased Training Load

This is a post more out of curiosity than anything else. We've heard of talk of an increased training load in the lead-up to the finals, considering we had top 2 spot shored up several weeks ago. However, does anyone know if we actually are doing this? Has ross or anyone in the inner sanctum eluded that we are officially in an increased training regiment? Has anyone gone down to training and witnessed this?

Also, if someone could clarify, what does an increased training load actually mean? What are we doing during the week differently to what we would do during the earlier part of the season?

And just to clarify before anyone jumps on my back; i completely agree with an increased training load if that helps us reach peak fitness during the finals. i couldnt give a rats ass about these games, as long as we're at 100% come two weekends from now.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

d roit
Club Player

ausfatcat wrote:see the other threads on this mate

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=55419
I'm not looking for a discussion on the pro's/con's of increased training, and whether or not is it affecting us. What I want to know is if we are actually doing it, and what extra training actually means??

Are we doing twice the training? What extra training are we doing? Sprints? Long-runs???

Anyone?

Saintschampions08
Club Player

d roit wrote:

I'm not looking for a discussion on the pro's/con's of increased training, and whether or not is it affecting us. What I want to know is if we are actually doing it, and what extra training actually means??

Are we doing twice the training? What extra training are we doing? Sprints? Long-runs???

Anyone?
http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0903.htm
the 6-mile people [people who tapered] enjoyed four key advantages over the other competitors:

1. They had more glycogen in their leg muscles.
2. Their density of red blood cells was greater.
3. They actually had more blood plasma than the other two groups.
4. Enzyme activity in their leg muscles was greater.

d roit
Club Player

Saintschampions08 wrote:
d roit wrote:

Anyone?
http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0903.htm
the 6-mile people [people who tapered] enjoyed four key advantages over the other competitors:

So, we are doing that exactly?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Yes it's standard practise in just about all sports.

markp
Saintsational Legend

d roit wrote: So, we are doing that exactly?
Ring the club and ask them... maybe they'll tell you all about our game plan and what's going on with Max and Ball too.

We can only surmise, and evidence would seem to suggest we are.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

The fact that we look like we're running in about 3 feet of mud at present would indicate that the boys have heavy legs from some extra work.

If that is the case the tapering off should have started & training will be lighter with more emphasis on ball work (they need it after yesterday's butchery) and strategic play.

I think we're still on track according to Ross' plan, although the self preservation around the contest yesterday was a concern.

Hopefully that first final will see the hunger and physical commitment return that has been visibly absent over the last fortnight.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Animal Enclosure wrote:The fact that we look like we're running in about 3 feet of mud at present would indicate that the boys have heavy legs from some extra work.
Made almost that exact statement at the game yesterday, said it looked like our guys were running in treacle and they must be loading hevily in training and tapering for finals, they look to have almost hit wall in the past few weeks.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
benengel14
Club Player

complex technical medical report of why there's no need to worry about any current/future losses wrote:the 6-mile people [people who tapered] enjoyed four key advantages over the other competitors:

Over the past few years of following the saints i've noticed a distinct lack of Glycogen present; I'm glad this is being addressed.

I hope Red Blood Cells get a call up for next week - as our current pathology strategy is looking horrible; particularly in Qtrs 1 and 4.

Saints43
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote:I think we're still on track according to Ross' plan, although the self preservation around the contest yesterday was a concern.
It is a concern (can you turn aggression on/off?) but understandable really. They really have nothing to play for except their spot in the team and I'm sure that's not a real concern for most of them. The marked difference between the way Armo (looking for a spot) and Joey/Dal (own spots) hit contests was pretty telling.

We're really not going to know until the first final if it's tapering, complacency or a slump. We can just hope that the plan is tracking for the coaches & fitness staff.