Next two games. Anything to gain??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Next two games. Anything to gain??

I'm sure many are like me and wish the next two weeks would just go away. Apart from bouncing back from last week, I can't see that we'll get a hell of a lot out of the next 2 weeks. Poss a chance to play on the G for the first time - in my opinion no where near as big a factor as some are making out. A chance to rejig or settle the team before finals? Get a final look at certain players, ie will Armo get another go? Does Gwilt get tried as a third tall again?

On the down side, it's two more weeks where we could get injuries. Playing against lower teams, it will be harder for some players to keep their motivation levels up. Only natural that the team is looking at finals, and probably won't play to their optimum until the finals.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

pos:
i get to save some extra cash for the two weeks

neg:
its another two friggin weeks till finals
injuries
reports

imo

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Next two games. Anything to gain??

i think we need to use this week to make a statement that shows last week was an aberration.

markp
Saintsational Legend

I'd say motivation wont be a problem.... look at the names who are left out.

I think the next 2 weeks are a handy and vital chance for us to focus on our finals preparation.... while other teams still have to worry about where they will finish etc.

Milton66
SS Life Member

markp wrote:I'd say motivation wont be a problem.... look at the names who are left out.

I think the next 2 weeks are a handy and vital chance for us to focus on our finals preparation.... while other teams still have to worry about where they will finish etc.
Spot on. It will be all about fine tuning the system and seeing who the final squad will be.

Interesting that this week, apart from Dempster, we have gone back to our original 22 from the start of the year (Ball excluded).

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Need to win these two games, but the actual score means sweet F A.

We need to get back that intimidating full field pressure. At the same time we need to bring the intensity up another ten percent as we run into the finals.

Its all about game plan. Its all about the team, not individuals.

75+ tackles and miserly opposition F50 entries.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
nobhead
Club Player

only one change

Milton66 wrote:
markp wrote:I'd say motivation wont be a problem.... look at the names who are left out.

Spot on. It will be all about fine tuning the system and seeing who the final squad will be.

Interesting that this week, apart from Dempster, we have gone back to our original 22 from the start of the year (Ball excluded).
\
hopefully bally can fight his way back in. i reckon we need his toughness around the packs, feeding the ball out .especially come finals .that would be my only change to the side for what its worth.

aussiejones
Club Player

" bally can fight his way back in. i reckon we need his toughness around the packs, feeding the ball out .especially come finals ."

I wonder if Ross is trying to make Ball something he is no longer capable of ....His in and under work is great .so he has to get out to a kicker.....

Above all we must remember the coaches job is to get the best team on the park regardless of reputations or service to the club in past years.

The finals are very hard games and we will need our best playing as a team on the day.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I agree that some players will be playing at a million miles an hour these next two weeks. I could understand that if blokes like Rooey, Kosi, and Lenny have quieter weeks though. It's these 3 guys that I can see exploding in the finals and will be the most crucial as to whether we hold the cup up come Sept 26th.

nobhead
Club Player

re-luke ball

Moods wrote:I agree that some players will be playing at a million miles an hour these next two weeks. I could understand that if blokes like Rooey, Kosi, and Lenny have quieter weeks though. It's these 3 guys that I can see exploding in the finals and will be the most crucial as to whether we hold the cup up come Sept 26th.
just on bally he seems to me to be always the bloke feeding it out to the likes of lenny, dal and joey .always amazes when you see the stats at the end of a game and he's had 25 possies . i reckon he is a finals type player .unfornatuly we are not inside the club so it's hard to make an informed decsion on what is going on with him .

BaysideSaint
Club Player

i think round 22 is a chance to play goose.
if he doesn't get a game in round 22 his papers are stamped at St Kilda.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Of course we have something to gain! We'll gain as much as we put into them. Like every other week, this next two are chances for us to work on our deficiencies and improve our strengths, plus get the cohesiveness back, after several changes in the past few weeks.
As noted in the paper earlier in the week (and by Ross), we also need to get our contested ball numbers back up again. There is plenty to work on and plenty of ways we can improve. We also need to get some Collingwood like momentum happening before the finals.
We just need to keep our eye on the ball. Not look ahead to what may, or may not happen. That's a bad habit to get into. We can deal with then if and when it comes.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Yep, the fear factor!

I think teams were beginning to fear us, we had teams jumping at shadows and opponents being caught like a deer in the headlights, because of our pressure.....and more importantly our perceived pressure.

After last week, I get the feeling that there is perhaps a little hope out there?

I think the boys know what to do with that hope 8-)

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Spot on. We have much to gain!

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BaysideSaint wrote:i think round 22 is a chance to play goose.
nah, there's always next year.

he won't be delisted, and if he wanted to leave of his own accord, where's he gonna go?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:

he won't be delisted, and if he wanted to leave of his own accord, where's he gonna go?
agree. he shouldn't get a run unless we're plannning for him to play a role in the finals. the timing of his hamstring injury wasn't good for him.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote:
bergholt wrote:

agree. he shouldn't get a run unless we're plannning for him to play a role in the finals. the timing of his hamstring injury wasn't good for him.
I would be hugely surprised if Goose plays in rnd 22.

Ross has only one consideration at present & that is to get the 22-25 players who will be fighting it out in September ready to rock.

Our emotional attachment to Goose (especially considering him getting his 100 games up & the father/son ramifications of that) would be the furthest thing from Ross' mind.

I hope I'm wrong but I think Goose may be elsewhere next year despite Max's likely retirement possibly opening up a spot.

Gurgman
Club Player

aussiejones wrote:" bally can fight his way back in. i reckon we need his toughness around the packs, feeding the ball out .especially come finals ."

Above all we must remember the coaches job is to get the best team on the park regardless of reputations or service to the club in past years.

The finals are very hard games and we will need our best playing as a team on the day.
So so true , i think emotion gets in the way of a few on here , Goose , Max and Bally are no doubt all great blokes but IMO i dont see them in our best side , We were exposed with our lack of run and leg speed last week and we have been exposed like that a few times this year but because the pressure was up we could still cope and win .
When our mids arnt firing and the pressure is down a tad it exposes our lack of agility and speed , Players need to more versatile these days and thats why i think they have gone with Gwilt and Zac , both can play either end and pinch hit if needed .
While im having a rant i would also have Big Mac in the side instead of King , yeah you can go on about experiance but tell me how many games the Hawthorn ruckmen had played before the Granny last year ?
Big Mac just gives you more options and run, something you need to win a flag IMO
My side from now on would be as named this week with the Big Mac - King swap with a bench containing , Raph , Mini , Geary and Gwilt or Dempster depending on who we are playing .

BaysideSaint
Club Player

i would take pick three (WCE) for goose. would anyone else?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BaysideSaint wrote:i would take pick three (WCE) for goose. would anyone else?
lol Buckley's.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
BaysideSaint
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
lol Buckley's.
goose and a rookie?

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I have seen some brilliant things on this website over the years.

That one is just dripping with awesome...

I would most definately take Pick 3 for Goose.

In a heartbeat.

lol Buckleys.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
BaysideSaint
Club Player

i'm only saying because WCE are floating the idea of their pick being for sale...
.... goose and a rookie, or
goose and colm begley?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Firstly Goose has done his hammy and is out for the rest of the year so he has probably played his last game at the club which is pretty sad but that is what can happen with injuries and secondly we have plenty to achieve in the next 2 weeks. our main onballers havent influenced games for 3 weeks now due to a couple of factors and the backline has had the 2 highest scores kicked on them for the year twice in the last 3 weeks. We need to make a statement and i hope North hit us with everything this week so we get a physically hard match.

BaysideSaint
Club Player

no more goose. :shock: :oops:

is it possible that round 22 is just a training run?
is round 21 against NMFC just an excuse to get everyone fit?