Max must go...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

lennyhayes77

max #8 at least has put forward some sense in this ridiculous thread.
irrespective of his disposal, which is not as bad as steph seemingly suggests, max's ability to shut down key forwards has been demonstrated throughout his career.

if you don't want to wallow in nostalgia, his efforts on fevola and franklin, the two leading goalkickers both this year and last, should be all the evidence you need.

to even suggest that max isn't in our best 22 when he is fit is absolutely absurd, and to put it bluntly, stupid.

who lets these clowns on this site to post such ridiculous ideas? next call would be to drop riewoldt due to his goal kicking?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

lol. I am starting to feel a bit embarrassed for the ones who are keeping this thread alive, taking into account I am trying to save them any further embarrassment ..is it worth me trying :?

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

steph wrote:t I will argue that Dawson is just as good a stopper.
now you see, that's where your argument falls down!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

He came 6th in the B&F last year. As much as I love Zac, he has more experience. And anyone who says anything against him should have their mouths washed out with soap. :evil:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Never bag a champion. I too embarisingly have queried Max at times this year, but i'm a silly silly man. He is a proven champion. Over the years in various media outlets, I've herd that players such as Nathan Brown, Fevola, Buddy, Richo and Lloyd say Max is/was there toughest opponent. This man bleeds for the club.

In the next few weeks, Max will be in the side. He has been there for the journey, and has a cool head. Yeah his disposal can be suspect under pressure, but what Max brings to the team in invaluable. He doesn't loose it if he gets a goal kicked on him, doesn't panic, just stays in the games and with his opponent.

Carpe Diem
matrix
Saintsational Legend

steph wrote:
tezza1 wrote:by far the worst disposal ????????

I think you will find when it comes to brain fade clangers one Jason Blake takes some tossing . Certainly i wouldnt class max as worse than him.

And thats not taking anything away from Blake because he is an honest trier who gives his all .

Whilst i agree that Blake's disposal is questionable, i feel more comfortable with the ball in his hands than i do Max's hands. Max lacks composure and decisiveness when he has the ball, and as a result often dishes off to a player who is under intense pressure. Happened in the early stages of the first quarter on the weekend.
lmao

check stats and effective disposal %age before u make calls

saintDal
Club Player

xander wrote:This is not really related to max's form at the moment but did anyone hear how richo said max was his toughest opponent in a mike sheahan interview on fox sports. Good to see max is starting to get recognition for his years of good work.
Just about everytime I see Richo in the media he always mentions Max in high regard. Really rates and seems to go out of his way to talk him up. I've got a lot of respect for Richo.
Last edited by saintDal on Tue 11 Aug 2009 3:19am, edited 1 time in total.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Geez we're all experts here aren't we.

Another opportunity awaits!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

hmm..it wasn't worth it.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

play under pressure will always have a reduced disposal rate.

have a look at lenny's stats or monty's stats in extreme pressure tackling games, its around 65 to 75%

its not because lenny or monty or dal are bad its because the pressure opposition put them under, or the fact they have less than a second to select the best option.

even gary ablett sometimes manages less then 70% in close tight games and he's considered one of the premier playres in the competition.

you'll find generally when ANY player is under extreme pressure the ability to deliver the ball pinpoint on the chest of a team mate is difficult and even the best playres can't do it all the time.

max is a superb player, now you can have a look at other full backs and say 'well at this point they kicked onto the chest of such and such' but the reality is across the WHOLE game not the one or two incidents you chose to point to, under pressure their disposal is limited.

even the best players have decision making errors.

I've seen the great robert harvey, diesal greg williams and chris judd stuff up disposals under time/space pressure.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
asiu

Mrs. Hudghton
:lol:

steph
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:One of the most ridiculous threads I have ever seen on this forum and yet it continues ...the IQ is dropping around here.
Max is a no brainer part of our side.
please..people.

so it seems that Ross's IQ must be dropping as well??

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

steph wrote:
The Fireman wrote:One of the most ridiculous threads I have ever seen on this forum and yet it continues ...the IQ is dropping around here.
Max is a no brainer part of our side.
please..people.

so it seems that Ross's IQ must be dropping as well??
is the saintsational clock still on daylight saving?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I don't think this is an issue that warrants gloating....

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Max had a shocker no doubt. And I know Ross is sending a message (anyone can be dropped). However, Max does not deserve to be dropped for everything he has done for the club.

He has to come in for the finals. I would be guttered if he missed out on a grand final. Need to treat club champ a bit better than this I feel.

I CAN NOT believe for a second the Dempster deserves his spot above Max.

Max should be spewing tonight. Dempster should be counting his stars that Ross is a fan!

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
reincarnated

SaintWodonga wrote:Max had a shocker no doubt. And I know Ross is sending a message (anyone can be dropped). However, Max does not deserve to be dropped for everything he has done for the club.

He has to come in for the finals. I would be guttered if he missed out on a grand final. Need to treat club champ a bit better than this I feel.

Max should be spewing tonight. Dempster should be counting his stars that Ross is a fan!
Different roles

Reincarnated knows this is going to sounds heartless however who cares if he is a club legend? We need to win this regardless of who is playing in the 22 if we should make it

However

Considering he is the best fullback in our squad and top 3 in the league the club needs to make sure he is fitter than previously. Reincarnated also believes that Zac Dawson will get murdered if we play with way we did against Essendon in the 2nd and 3rd terms whereas Max has the ability to beat a key forward thus keeping us in the match. Great spoiler and super in one on one contests and quite frankily s***s all over whatever Zac can produce

matrix
Saintsational Legend

hey im with ya there SW
love max, but
if it came to max v dempster and the opponent player was more steve johnson type from the cats who is the right choice??
dempster most likely
not that that is going to happen of course.
im trying to say that it MAY come down to match ups on the big day depending on who we are playing, who is injured for the opp side etc etc. (many possibilities)

saying that, i honestly think max will end up lining up at full back or somewhere down there... and there will be an opponent suited for him to, once again, give a bathing.
hopefully the guy goes out with a Hurricane (ie: Bang Bang) 8-)
wont be long and we'll all find out.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:I don't think this is an issue that warrants gloating....
definitely not.

max is one of the club's favourite sons and one of the best defenders in the competition over many seasons.

it's purely balance that sees him out of the team.

a decision on how to fit he, zac and blake into the same backline has been coming for a while and, unless we were going to find another role for one of them (which we didn't explore), something eventually was going to have to give.

but the season is not over and there is every chance that max (and luke ball for that matter) will still play their part.

steph
Club Player

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:I don't think this is an issue that warrants gloating....

its not gloating. i'm just pointing out that the constant abuse that many copped on here for merely suggesting that the structure could see max out was unwarranted. emotional rants get you nowhere.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Love Max!

We are here to win a flag.

Any decision that helps the team achieve this, must be taken.

The club is bigger than the individual.

Love Max!

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
66 Saints
Club Player

SaintWodonga wrote:Max had a shocker no doubt. And I know Ross is sending a message (anyone can be dropped). However, Max does not deserve to be dropped for everything he has done for the club.

Barry Breen should still be playing after everything he has done for the club as well? In 2009 I struggle to see Max fitting in to the side and I actually feel more comfortable without him in the team.

have a think about where max can play, then have a think about where dempster can play. your answer to who is selected is somewhere in there.

SaintHomer
Club Player

for me, max has to come back in and i'm hoping this is just resting him whilst we can't lose top spot. its also matchups i think.

there is a really good chance we will have the blues in the first final, and he has the score on the board against fevola.

zac has had a great year, but i'm still not 100% convinced. he's looked good in a winning side, but most players do. (yes, this makes me worried for ball)

Sobraz
SS Life Member

steph wrote:

its not gloating. i'm just pointing out that the constant abuse that many copped on here for merely suggesting that the structure could see max out was unwarranted. emotional rants get you nowhere.
Exactly... Theres no joy in dropping Max, but it just points out that emotion and sentiment play no part in on field success.... Ross obviously knows this...

Max has played poorly all year... Well below the level he has set in the past, and the fact is he may well be past it...

Picking him or defending his form for what he has done in seasons past has no bearing on this season and his current form...

I firmly believe the right move has been made by Ross...

I dont understand those who would be gutted to see Max miss out on playing/winning the GF... We support the team, not the player, and if it is more likely with Max on the sidelines, then good... But some seem to enjoy cutting off thier noses to spite thier face...

Sobraz
SS Life Member

SaintHomer wrote:for me, max has to come back in and i'm hoping this is just resting him whilst we can't lose top spot.
He'd be playing down at Sandy wouldnt he...??..

SaintHomer
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:
SaintHomer wrote:for me, max has to come back in and i'm hoping this is just resting him whilst we can't lose top spot.
He'd be playing down at Sandy wouldnt he...??..
is he playing for sandy this weekend? i haven't seen their ins & outs?