official team changes from facebook

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Welcome back to McQualter and Jones...as for Ball and Max, I feel terrible for them, but I cannot pretend to be surprised...someone was going to miss out. I guess we cannot rule them out of playing in finals, but it is perhaps less likely?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i thought ross telegraphed the changes a bit in an interview earlier in the week:
As we get closer, it really is going to be about team balance and trying to get it right for different teams.

"You come up against some teams with strong characteristics who might need more of one type and less of another – as we get closer we’ll start to do more of that".

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:Welcome back to McQualter and Jones...as for Ball and Max, I feel terrible for them, but I cannot pretend to be surprised...someone was going to miss out. I guess we cannot rule them out of playing in finals, but it is perhaps less likely?
Yeah, Max scored just 1 super coach point in last weeks match and was found wanting for pace and made too many errors in disposal. It maybe tough for him to get back in.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
SaintWodonga
Club Player

Max had a shocker, but should not be dropped on the back of that. It's not the time of the year to find yourself out of the team.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

geary must be close to a spot? comes down to him and armo for the last spot on the bench? (after mcqualter, dempster, r clarke.)

bob__71
Club Player

if ball is a bit out of form he is better off playing a full game in the twos. If he plays well I am sure he is a big chance for Septembr action. Same with Max he just needs to keep playing well and hope he gets his chance.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:i thought ross telegraphed the changes a bit in an interview earlier in the week:
As we get closer, it really is going to be about team balance and trying to get it right for different teams.

"You come up against some teams with strong characteristics who might need more of one type and less of another – as we get closer we’ll start to do more of that".
Glad to read that. As a result, Max may be back in when we play some of the sides with more of the mid-sized guys up forward, like Collingwood. He'd be the perfect match-up for Jack Anthony, especially. He probably would have been the ideal match up for Aaron Edwards this week, but maybe we didn't see him coming in.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
StPeter
Club Player

How does Eddy get back into the 25 so quickly?

Ball's worst game is still far ahead of Eddy's best.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

StPeter wrote:How does Eddy get back into the 25 so quickly?

Agree, Ross has his favs, Ball is not one!

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:geary must be close to a spot? comes down to him and armo for the last spot on the bench? (after mcqualter, dempster, r clarke.)
Armatage > Geary

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
suss
Club Player

Apparently Eddy does what's asked of him.

StPeter
Club Player

Out Bally and Max...two of the leadership team.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

StPeter wrote:Out Bally and Max...two of the leadership team.
makes little difference if they are not performing well.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

bob__71 wrote:if ball is a bit out of form he is better off playing a full game in the twos. If he plays well I am sure he is a big chance for Septembr action. Same with Max he just needs to keep playing well and hope he gets his chance.
The problem with Max's last month is that he has played two awesome matches and two well-below average matches. I'm confident he will be back for September, but we just can't play such a tall back line, look at last weeks loss or our game against Carlton.

As for Ball, I fear this is injury management, the dreaded OP might be returning, he has certainly looked restricted of late, but I'm not a Doctor.

Bad management is bad management
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

And player like Blake get a call up week after week......

Bally should be in, and played in the middle and Max is ten times the defender Blake is.

No matter how many game we win - I still don't agree with these selections.

Cue the 'we are 19-1 but I lack individual thought' brigade......

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BJ brownlow 09 wrote:RD21 TEAM: IN - C Jones, A McQualter, J Gwilt, J Geary, R.Eddy

OUT - L Ball (omitted), M Hudghton (omitted) - a final 22 to be named Friday.
Thats better. Makes more sense. Big changes. Looks like Gwilt, Eddy and geary will miss out.
Why is Armo automatically in?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Geary and Eddy play with the intensity that was missing last week.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
PJ
SS Life Member

Unfortunately the insipid effort last week has led to a few getting the proverbial foot up the date locker. Effort and intensity is again the flavour of the week.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Zippy
Club Player

It's good for the team that we can drop two people who've earnt as much credit as those two.

But heartbreaking to see two warriors like that get dropped. I hope they get back in soon.

Blindly delusional optimist. Fan of the Blake.

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said itâ€
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The team (the 25) is now set for the finals and will take us all the way. It was, in my view, always going to be the team from mid season, barring injury. Max only got back because of injury. Luke had to round 16 to prove he was up to what the game plan requires, and has fallen short as the season has taken its toll on him.

However, they both wait in the wings and can anybody ever remember a time when two such replacements were available if misfortune struck another? Well, actually I can, 43 years ago, and it bodes very well indeed.

The group have two weeks to regain that complete team game that we saw against the Crows and Bulldogs a few weeks ago. Games against North and Melbourne are the perfect opportunity to regain total confidence and playing the last game at the MCG could not really be better. Neither game will be a cinch and people should not expect massive wins. Look to a grinding, dour and determined effort.

I was confident that we would win the flag in '66, then again, I was only 14. I was not confident in any other year. This year I am. For those who have looked for the year so far to simply be a set up manoeuvre, they should be extremely satisfied with part 1.

The end game begins on Sunday.

Legendary
Club Player

I don't want to tempt fate at all ... a BIG *touchwood*

But we need reserve players, injuries are a possibility in every game, and to have blokes like Hudghton and Ball as the next guys in line for selection is surely a good thing for the club and team?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:

Agree, Ross has his favs, Ball is not one!
you would find that all ball needs to do is run the similar amount as eddy and he would be in the 22.... right now he doesn't have the ability to get to enough contests and put pressure on

looks like they will go with zac if the opposition has a tall forward line and max if it's a shorter one. Will make the cats and pies match ups interesting as both have two talls but rely on their small forwards

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
matrix
Saintsational Legend

max is being rested

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

When Milne & Dal Santo were dropped last season the improved effort from them & the whole team was immense. Let's hope the dropping of Ball & Hudghton has the same effect.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:max is being rested
No he hasnt. he is playing for Sandy at this stage.