Loss to Essendon was our most embarrassing defeat - ever?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I'm embarrassed by this thread. A meaningless home and away game our most embarrassing loss ever. I remember the game in 1897 when we only got one behind against geelong, now that was embarrassing.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Watching RL in the coaching box, he looked pretty relaxed about the whole thing -obviously thinking big picture.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I'm embarrassed by this thread. A meaningless home and away game our most embarrassing loss ever. I remember the game in 1897 when we only got one behind against geelong, now that was embarrassing.
In the crowd that day were you mate? :lol:

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
markinUSA
SS Life Member

Throughout the early 80s, people at school constantly picked on me... and I wore my colours proudly regardless. But there were some worse defeats in that period, to put it midly.

I can remember one time telling the kids at school that the ladder must have been printed upside down, because the Saints are always the top team.

Well... we are the top team now, and many respected football commentators are saying we needed that loss before the finals. So... I am ok with it. (Not that I like losing). And it definitely wasn't the worst loss ever.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

the croc is really a fisherman...........got plenty of bites.

saint4life
older saint
SS Life Member

Most embarassing - Hawthorn Waverley 1999. We all know it well 63 points up in 2nd quarter and lost.

Walked out that day mixed emotions as got a $2500 quadie that day.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:Most embarassing - Hawthorn Waverley 1999. We all know it well 63 points up in 2nd quarter and lost.
That one takes my vote, of all the pointless H&A fixtures, that was a particularly disgraceful effort. How about blowing a 37 point 1/4 time lead against the Bulldogs last year to lose by 38 points? Against a team with no KP forward...now that was embarrassing.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Hurricane wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I'm embarrassed by this thread. A meaningless home and away game our most embarrassing loss ever. I remember the game in 1897 when we only got one behind against geelong, now that was embarrassing.

BANG BANG
Just a little kid back then but still remember it well. I went with my grand father and was speaking to him about it the other day. He is getting a bit old now so struggles to remember it.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Hurricane wrote:

BANG BANG
Just a little kid back then but still remember it well. I went with my grand father and was speaking to him about it the other day. He is getting a bit old now so struggles to remember it.
Did you avoid national service in the Boer War?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Hurricane wrote:

BANG BANG
Only 13 at the time so i missed. My wife was old enough for it so she spent a year on a boer and then married one.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Hurricane wrote:

BANG BANG
Only 13 at the time so i missed. My wife was old enough for it so she spent a year on a boer and then married one.
Ouch, then self-denegration...nice save.

cuz60
Club Player

Definately the Hawthorn debacle in 1999 under Tim Watson was the most embarrasing defeat in recent memory. Yes we have copped bigger defeat's but from the position we were in, from memory we were 63 points up against an average team 7 minutes into the second quarter. To then go on and lose the game was disgraceful.

I believe that was the beginning of when we slipped down the ladder, our confidence was shot, not only that teams realised they were never out of the game against us. I was so happy the day Essendon came back from 68 points down against the kangaroos taking that unwanted record off us.

Another embarrasing loss I recall was against Carlton at Optus oval in 2001. We only lost by 10 goals that day but being at the game I believe the player's threw in the towel that day and gave up. Aaron Hamill's first game as a saint against Carlton. A very dark day!

Go Kosi!!! 23
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I remember that well.

It was 2-0 to Geelong and the FF took a mark about 50 yards out on a 45 deg angle (couldn't tell how far because there was no arc in them thar days), the timekeeper rang the bell and the FF flinched (I captured it in a sepia photograph.)

It was up the Geelong supporters end at Corio Oval and the jeering was truly offputting. Suffice to say, our FF missed to the right and was rightly critisised on the party line morse code that night.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
degruch
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
I remember that well.

It was 2-0 to Geelong and the FF took a mark about 50 yards out on a 45 deg angle (couldn't tell how far because there was no arc in them thar days), the timekeeper rang the bell and the FF flinched (I captured it in a sepia photograph.)

It was up the Geelong supporters end at Corio Oval and the jeering was truly offputting. Suffice to say, our FF missed to the right and was rightly critisised on the party line morse code that night.
Did we drop said Captain for his crap kicking style? It was the knickerbockers, they're a bitch to kick a good punt in...not to mention how off-putting that stupid cap is!

thecroc
Club Player

Ooops - the NS medal for Norm Smith (not NM).
Sorry folks

but anyway - all those other games did not have us down rock solid to get the the points such as this latest one.

Apologies to anyone that didn't think that it was worth 'shooting the breeze' on this thread.

Cheers :)

degruch
Saintsational Legend

thecroc wrote:but anyway - all those other games did not have us down rock solid to get the the points such as this latest one...
...and the Bulldogs game. I travelled 9 hours to see that crap, AND had to sit next to a bunch of Bulldogs supporters screaming their team song in my ear.

starsign
Club Player

Well if your not a troll croc you just gave a good impression of one!

Thats the greatest "croc" of excretia I've read here in ages

can see where you get your nic

Anyway I gotta laugh from it considering the media fanfare that would have followed a straighter final kick in the game!!

thecroc
Club Player

I rest my case Starsign and Co.

Once again - it's like Minardi 'doing over' Ferrari

Out in straight sets :(

Not baiting - just venting OK

Fingers crossed for us in the second half - but shouldn't have toooooooooo!

starsign
Club Player

thecroc wrote:I rest my case Starsign and Co.

you are very premature and obviously a troll

and you haven't got 'a case" as such because if you have been following our club there is no way you would regard last weeks loss the most embarrassing

POQ!

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote:
thecroc wrote:I rest my case Starsign and Co.

you are very premature and obviously a troll

and you haven't got 'a case" as such because if you have been following our club there is no way you would regard last weeks loss the most embarrassing

POQ!
who cares about last weeks loss, if it is that bad go watch soccer, would have to be a troll, or a dimwit

I love this club
Winmarvellous
Club Player

not anymore :shock:

Schillaci
Club Player

A week is a long time in football. This loss against the Roos hurts more than the Bombers. Hope we beat the Dees. :)

battye
Saintsational Legend

Schillaci wrote:A week is a long time in football. This loss against the Roos hurts more than the Bombers. Hope we beat the Dees. :)
Hey, I'll settle for a 10 goal loss to Melbourne as long as we win the QF, PF and GF! :)

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
LaUrEnCe
Club Player

no. after this game :lol: