Loss to Essendon was our most embarrassing defeat - ever?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thecroc
Club Player

Loss to Essendon was our most embarrassing defeat - ever?

Eight quality players back and we get dumped on our backside. With all the hooplaa and media crap with the previous week - that I have never ever seen before in decades of watching the game - then combine it with the 'gods' coming back in the following week, crikey - on paper it was ours by flaming miles (Dons were paying $6!!!!!). If we had just lost the game without all the extra crap it would have been OK - but now being the biggest upset of the season it has magnified the defeat by 10 fold.

Those 15 to 20 goal defeats were much easier to cope in the old days than with this last one. So I'll say it again - our worst defeat in the history of the club. The GF's that went wrong were depressing but not embarrassing.

Copped heaps at work - they loved it :(

And yes - I'll build a bridge and get over so need to tell me.

Cheers folks - I feel better now - got it of my chest - and didn't have to pay $100 - $200 to a cheap shrink ;)

See you at the G in Sept. and CJ for the NM medal too!

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

lordy!

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

With respect thats ridiculous :roll: ...it was one very narrow loss in 20 to a team who was playing for finals ...what were we playing for...the freaking streak :x

Would have just been a distraction to the main goal this year...and we only lost it with a kick missing after the siren!!!

Mildly disappointing[or was it???] but get some perspective...will be forgotten come september like the Eagles beating the dogs 2 weeks ago or the saints beating the underfeated eventual premiers Carlton in 95 :shock:
Last edited by saint patrick on Wed 19 Aug 2009 11:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I think this thread is a croc.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Man - I thought Tim Watson had been banned from here?:shock:
How many times have a team wanting to make the finals beaten a future premier in the last round or so? 1976 anyone?
I think PLENTY!
Immerse your head in a Septic Tank for 15 mins - if you need a hand just ask!
8-) :P

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Did you miss the 80's??????

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

I only wake up when we make the finals - been pretty good since 1991!
What happened in the 80s - did I miss something?
I remember a Brownlow at some stage I think! :shock:

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Went to Vic park in about 81 with my filth barracking father in law and saw us score about 4 goals for a 120 plus loss!

Remember Grant Thomas running around in the backline that day :roll:

Had to go into the Filth social club afterwards with my St.Kilda scarf defiently on display...

Now that was embarrasing :oops:

Revenge is on the agenda bigtime :wink:

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Is that one posts that evrybody on this site referes as a troll,because you can not be serious :shock:

I love this club
matrix
Saintsational Legend

a troll is like....
like me going into the carlton forum and joining up just to say bollocks and take the piss.

by the way i dont do that Image

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:a troll is like....
like me going into the carlton forum and joining up just to say bollocks and take the piss.

by the way i dont do that Image
Not a bad idea though, might go trough the eddiewoood site and stir some shyte :)

I love this club
PJ
SS Life Member

Embarassing - hardly

Novel - a bit

Annoying - a little

Who cares? - no one except our opposition, but I think their initial excitment will soon turn to anxiety.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Loss to Essendon was our most embarrassing ever?

Are we talking about the same game? The one that I was embarrassed @ was in 2002 when Paul Salmon was playing in the ruck for the bombers and scored a couple in their 100 point win!
Now THAT was agony!!!!!!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Young Georgie
Club Player

saint patrick wrote:Went to Vic park in about 81 with my filth barracking father in law and saw us score about 4 goals for a 120 plus loss!

Had to go into the Filth social club afterwards with my St.Kilda scarf defiently on display...

Not one to get any pleasure in correcting the date as there were many dim dark days around that era but I suspect you're referring to a day etched in my memory Rnd 4 1979 at Victoria Park where we scored 3 goals and the filth over 30. Particularly embarrassing for me as my dad ensured we stayed until the final siren then proceeded to get into a punch up in the terraces. Revenge has been on my agenda for 30 years and counting :twisted:

Graceful, elusive, strong overhead and no Easybeat!
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Young Georgie wrote:
saint patrick wrote:Went to Vic park in about 81 with my filth barracking father in law and saw us score about 4 goals for a 120 plus loss!

Not one to get any pleasure in correcting the date as there were many dim dark days around that era but I suspect you're referring to a day etched in my memory Rnd 4 1979 at Victoria Park where we scored 3 goals and the filth over 30. Particularly embarrassing for me as my dad ensured we stayed until the final siren then proceeded to get into a punch up in the terraces. Revenge has been on my agenda for 30 years and counting :twisted:
I was there that bad day, that was embarrassing :oops: , biggest defeat in vfl till that time, 189 points. First loss for the season by 2 points is no big deal

I love this club
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Young Georgie wrote:

That was the day Georgie :x

You can see my mind is trying to forget how bad it was...knew it was something totally horrendous but didn't realise it was on that scale :shock:

Still remember their patronising ,smug faces in the Social club...

Scarred a 20 year supporter thats for sure...

But even old scars have a way of resolving if finals go the way they should...

KEEP THE FAITH :wink:

St.Carl
Club Player

You must be kidding - no shame no embarassment

Yeah sure a bit of ribbing. Tends to go quite when you ask back what the result has done to our position on the ladder and how low can we finish at round 22.

I also fire back that we were just joining the tanking game. tried it against the Hawks but failed. Had to experiment with some new strategies (eg Dempster down forward, Ball as a forward, why tag Watson? etc) - almost blew it with Roo's last kick of the game (imagine if he missed the behind and scored a goal - we would be stuck with another win).

That said, I hope that we have not slipped into a slide (as Geelong and Footscray have recently)

GO SAINTS

St Carl
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

While we are all sore about the loss, I refuse to hand it down as our worst loss in our entire club history.

In a club with 26 wooden spoons to it's name (the most in the league), to be down by 43 points (against a team screaming to qualify for finals) late in the third quarter and to only lose by 2, surely not our worst. Of course, the bombers had a limited bench but to have that 43 point margin and then relying on our caption misfire after the final siren, any side should be able to defend that, it's not as if they had 17 men on the park. We played three quarters of rubbish and still almost had one of the best steals in history. In that context, it could arguably be one of the our best honorable losses in history.

Look at the positives and what we learn:

* I don't think we can manage Blake, Zac, Max and Gilbo in the same back line.

* CJ is pivotal for our shut down jobs.

* Mini is pivotal for our forward pressure.

* If Ball has a place in the side, I feel it's for his in-and-under work in the middle, not as a forward.

* Roo still has an awkward technique, specially under pressure, which he still needs to work on before finals.

* Schneider is a pivotal player for us, both midfield and forward.

* Milne can finally lift when we need him to. He is not just a one-trick pony.

* WE ARE NEVER OUT OF A CONTEST. Even at the start of the fourth quarter, I still sensed we were a chance!

A reminder of bad losses, what about round 12, 2004 against the Dogs, or round 17 last year against the Eagles.

I kept thinking this year, if we were to drop a game, it would be to opposition we didn't expect. That game against the Swans at the SCG made me realize that we can't go through undefeated. It's happened, lets learn from it and move on.

CARN THE SAINTERS!!! :D

Bad management is bad management
thecroc
Club Player

I was at that game as well - when the reserves got done by around 10 goals I was pretty sure we couldn't down any worse - WRONG. You sure it was 79? That game is the benchmark to justify my rant tonite. It was a huge defeat (GOB SMACKING) but it did not have the same game build up - i.e. that we 'had the game in the bag" etc. - that's my point.

Anyway - see you at the G

Cheers

ps no troll - just venting
and Saint Patrick - thanks for your patience (seriously)

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Re: Loss to Essendon was our most embarrassing defeat - ever

thecroc wrote: See you at the G in Sept. and CJ for the NM medal too!
The North Melbourne (?) medal???? :roll: :? :?

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Iceman234 wrote:
I assume that NM is Norm Smith medal - unless I miss the joke, as always :D

Bad management is bad management
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
I assume that NM is Norm Smith medal - unless I miss the joke, as always :D
Aahh the Normsmith Medal medal, of course.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Young Georgie wrote:

gold young georgie. post of the year. cracked me up. that really is a bad day at the footy. vic park. 30 goal drubbing. to add injury to insult your old man punches on with some dirty pies fan. thats traumatic for a young kid. im surprised you ever went to another game after that. i just cant stop chuckling. thats a long time u have been waiting for revenge! i can see a film in this story. :lol: :lol:

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

I'll take the 'embarrassing' loss. What a shank!

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Ive copped a decent serve at work myself and my reply varies depending on the servers team or the situation.

If people can bag a side that has won 19 out of 20 games this year they need to get a freaking life.

The loss can only be a good thing IMHO. Many things came out of it that we can work on and just like the Bombers on 2000 this might be the loss that wins us a flag.

But embarrassing? I dont think so

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum