McPhee and that "Angle" Shot

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

starsign
Club Player

McPhee and that "Angle" Shot

Heaps written about Roos miss, but I would love to discuss peeps thoughts about an issue from Sunday that bugs me ....

Firstly though, to be really honest, it peeves me more when the opposition get away with it ,and I suppose that's hypocritical, but nevertheless for discussion purposes , here goes....

There is much umpiring "toodoo" when a player is having a set angle shot from relatively close range in terms of running around, play-on etc, but when the angle shot is from 30-35+ out and particularly when the boundary line comes into the equation with the player going back on his mark, the umps promptly go to sleep

Case in point.... McPhee's critical goal in Q4
The ump lines him up and sets our man on the mark , then McPhee proceded to go back AND AROUND and actually ran in a good 2-4m wider opening up the angle considerably, (if my memory from watching the game on TV is correct and i'm not sure if he got back as far as the boundary, but he sure as hell improved his angle heaps)

Now with 3 of the officious little fellas out there you would think one could be spared to diligently watch the shooter and call play-on /whatever or perhaps even some alternative?

Also the Goalie is obviously in the know and must surely see the player transgressing as he makes his approach (even before) and maybe something could be done involving them (eg crossing the flags until he lines up properly !!,) but NOTHING IS EVER DONE ABOUT IT

I have no great solution , but just off the top of my head ...

Lets say one of our blokes had of gone and stood the boundary on the correct angle after the ump had set McPhee's line , then indicated he was going to move the required 5m wider and stand there legally
This could then act as a guide as to if and when the ump can call play on

OK problem ...we are one short for manning up ....

but what if one of the OTHER UMPS did that and could actually stand behind the goalshooter to signal playon? What are they out there for?

After a siren if you run around or "go off line" the score is null and void
(what if that was the case all the time , it might take something away from the game however, but it could be then balled-up at the mark after the shot was declared a "FAULT"? ) ok! just a sperm of the moment thought!!

so if Mcphees shot was critical like Roo's after the siren and in a GF even, it would be catastrophic if the shot wasn't diligently monitored by the little men in charge, I mean we could have had the whole team lined up 5 m away in a direct line on the correct angle 5m away as the shot was made if need be, to help them adjudicate no shot, dead ball whatever.. he went off-line hence playon etc ...

Now there's probably no need for more rules per se but at least this one can be policed better

My take is that in the current climate considering the possible consequences of freebie goals from interchange foot-faults in a GF, this greater indiscretion seems to go relatively unchecked repeatedly, and with 3 umps out there plus the goalie in fine position to adjudicate, are we being short-changed by officialdom on this one?

Even maybe a boundary umpire positioned behind the kicker who could raise his hand and whistle when needs be, (like at center sqaure ballups) and I'm sure there would be better suggestions than these off the cuff ones of mine out there

anyone got any ideas ??

matrix
Saintsational Legend

every shot at goal the opp kicks we should now have 8 blokes around him (within the 'legal/ruled' distance) trying to put him off.....and im not kidding

Sunday Red
Club Player

Build a bridge maybe?
matrixcutter wrote:every shot at goal the opp kicks we should now have 8 blokes around him (within the 'legal/ruled' distance) trying to put him off.....and im not kidding
Oh yeah. And leave unmarked opposition players inside 50 closer to goal.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

why whats gonna happen?
itll rebound off the post and they will call play on??

maybe 4 blokes...8 was a tad over the top

starsign
Club Player

Yep, certainly with a few of the opposition nearby, especially on the "advantage" side, could help to convince the shooter to keep on line maybe
Last edited by starsign on Wed 19 Aug 2009 3:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

jay young
Club Player

essendon thrashed us but only won by 2 pts they should of won by ten goals if not for thier injuries, the saints form has been poor for the last 4 weeks (very worrying signs for the finals ) the last 4 wks says we are an average side now , umpiring on the weekend was ok .

TimPekin'sDirtyGuernsey
Club Player

jay young wrote:essendon thrashed us but only won by 2 pts they should of won by ten goals if not for thier injuries, the saints form has been poor for the last 4 weeks (very worrying signs for the finals ) the last 4 wks says we are an average side now , umpiring on the weekend was ok .
mmm yep very average - a 51 point pumping of the Dogs, a 1 point win against Sydney who threw everything at us INTERSTATE, a win in Tassie against the reigning premier with 8 of our top 22 out and now a 2 point loss against the Dons when we were 41 points down and only lost with the last kick of the day.

Yep ...... average hey.

Have a good look at yourself sonny.

:roll:

starsign
Club Player

jay young wrote:essendon thrashed us but only won by 2 pts they should of won by ten goals if not for thier injuries, the saints form has been poor for the last 4 weeks (very worrying signs for the finals ) the last 4 wks says we are an average side now , umpiring on the weekend was ok .
yeah and if your auntie had niagras she "Should have" been your uncle!!

and perhaps the umpire should have done something about McPhee (which happens to be back on topic) or even the touched Fletcher goal
Last edited by starsign on Wed 19 Aug 2009 3:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

True trolling knob jockey with all the intelligence and wit of Matthew Lloyd.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

How many times do you want to repeat yourself Jay? You've posted this whining dribble in about four different threads.

How average were we against the Dogs & Crows.

How average was half the side against Hawthorn.

You sound like a bitching Essendon troll.

Garibaldi
Club Player

He is going to run around anyway.
My personal opinion is that no matter the occasion, when you take the ball out of play, ie: over the boundary line whether free kick, mark, whatever there should not be the option to play on or run off your mark. same as kicking after the siren or kicking in after a behind basically.

boo effin hoo
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Here's my idea. The man on the mark can't move from that spot, and whenever the guy taking the shot deviates from walking straight to the man on the mark, it should be play on. I wouldn't even give them half a metre leeway.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:
How many times do you want to repeat yourself Jay? You've posted this whining dribble in about four different threads.

How average were we against the Dogs & Crows.

How average was half the side against Hawthorn.

You sound like a bitching Essendon troll.
Now watch him squeal like that Monfries squib...

Coward.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Add to that whenever a player feigns a handball or kick, automatic play on!
I hate seeing 50m penalties given away when trying to stop this.
eg: That'll pretty much negate Rioli's 50's.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Squizzy1970

It was hardly McPhee's fault. The umpire didn't even bother lining him up with the middle of the goals, so he started at least 5m round from where he should have been. The St Kilda player on the mark should have squealed like every other team does.

On another matter, Milne was run down at a stop play by a player who was within 5m for the third time this year (Selwood and Akermanis being the other two). I have finally accepted that he gives away 50m if he comes within 7m of a player but they are allowed within 3m of him.

The Kosi missed shot with 4-5 guys inside of 5m to his right was also poor umpiring along with the shot clock debacle.

But there were admittedly a couple of bad decisions that should have gone against us (both relating to Monty).

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

As a whole, the umpiring did favor the Bombers more so than us.

But, hard to argue that after twenty rounds, we have had a good run from the umpires so I'll let this game slide.

Bad management is bad management
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

McPhee marks

McPhee kicks

He should have been kicking from near where the boundary intersects the 50m line.

I've had so much fun I should do one with where Riewoldt's kick should have gone.

BTW this is not the 4th quarter as the OP states. They didn't kick a goal in the 4th quarter.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Brillianty effort Kosifantutti

Can you do one to illustrate how close the Bombers were to 23 when he took that shot?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: McPhee and that "Angle" Shot

starsign wrote: There is much umpiring "toodoo" when a player is having a set angle shot from relatively close range in terms of running around, play-on etc, but when the angle shot is from 30-35+ out and particularly when the boundary line comes into the equation with the player going back on his mark, the umps promptly go to sleep

Case in point.... McPhee's critical goal in Q4
The ump lines him up and sets our man on the mark , then McPhee proceded to go back AND AROUND and actually ran in a good 2-4m wider opening up the angle considerably,
gaurenteed they will NEVER allow Milney to run around - THEY are always aware of him trying to - the umpires that is and he can barely move after marking or he is taken back to his mark- repeatedly or pinged for holding the ball.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
starsign
Club Player

Good stuff Kosifantutti !
and thanks I stand corrected about the Q4!!

Young Georgie
Club Player

Good one Kosifan!

The umps do this alot and seem to lose their bearings when lining up from the middle of the goals - perhaps its all that lactic acid swimming around in their brains.

Maybe Herr Dellar might like to have a look at your graphics as a little reminder at info@aflua.com.au - and send him a copy of the last Reiwoldt kick for clarification on opposition numbers/distance to the kicker if you have it handy and the Prismall time clock and the.....etc!

Graceful, elusive, strong overhead and no Easybeat!