playing finals at the mcg and a third tall forward

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

playing finals at the mcg and a third tall forward

Collingwood play the g well , they kick many goals from around 45-50 and they get the ball well to guys like Anthony.

This seems to be the secret to the g. and previous finals. Biggish forwards who can dominate the area from 40-60m out from goal.

That is why we need to get someone in to that area to assist 12 and 23 quick smart.

I believe the two best options are Fisher and Gwilt. We need someone who just keeps presenting and importantly a damaging boot. I like Gwilt because he can kick beautifully over 55m and I like Sammy because he can read the play.

The G needs lots of players who can break the lines with their kicks and hit one on one contests. All our forwards are almost unbeatable one on one, especially Schneider and Milne.

Therefore I am not sure that Luke Ball (god love him) gets a game, Geary is a nice long kick, has kicked quite a few goals from far out.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

I'd prefer Gwilt over Fisher up forward. Fisher has made his name as a smart defender who sets us up from defence very well with his ball use. Also, Gwilt is a great kick.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:I'd prefer Gwilt over Fisher up forward. Fisher has made his name as a smart defender who sets us up from defence very well with his ball use. Also, Gwilt is a great kick.
Not too sure... Gwilt has had plenty of chances, very little return.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

As much as I like us experimenting with Chips up forward, come finals time, I would rather have him in defence.

Bad management is bad management
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

We will not play another leading forward unless we get injuries. As it is one of Max, Zac, dempster or Ball have to miss out in our best side and that doesnt include gwilt. Chips will not play forward in a GF.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

I Think Goddard fills the role perfectly, he is good overhead has a big tank would be able to spot up targets inside 50 and can kick goals from long range. You could basically give him a roving commission off the half forward line similar to the role that of Ryan O'Keefe.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:I Think Goddard fills the role perfectly, he is good overhead has a big tank would be able to spot up targets inside 50 and can kick goals from long range. You could basically give him a roving commission off the half forward line similar to the role that of Ryan O'Keefe.
agree, but only if our midfield is on top and we can spare him to play that role.

JABBER
Club Player

playing at the mcg the third foward

in perfect conditions I would like to see kosi at CHF Roo at Full Foward
and Mc Evoy in the pocket with the smalls being Milne Schneider and Mini.
Gardiner and King can take the ruck duties

In wet conditions Drop Mc Evoy and play someone like Geary down there or even a Gwilt

trevor barker
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Re: playing at the mcg the third foward

JABBER wrote:in perfect conditions I would like to see kosi at CHF Roo at Full Foward
and Mc Evoy in the pocket with the smalls being Milne Schneider and Mini.

WHy would you want to move the best CHF in the competition away from CHF?

I reckon every Club in the finals would be thrilled to see Roo taken away from CHF and put to FF.

As for Milne and Schneider (and any other small forward we have) - I would think that they love the thought of Kosi 'crashing the pack' and either marking or causing teh ball to spill to the ground.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:I Think Goddard fills the role perfectly, he is good overhead has a big tank would be able to spot up targets inside 50 and can kick goals from long range. You could basically give him a roving commission off the half forward line similar to the role that of Ryan O'Keefe.
agree, but only if our midfield is on top and we can spare him to play that role.
if he plays like he did on Sunday we can spare him from the midfield...up forward might just be his spot in the finals...our wildcard......

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D