Holding the ball?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Holding the ball?

We seemed to have had a hard time receiving holding the ball decisions today..we had many good tackles on Essendon players at crucial times that were not paid..no excuses though.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Sometimes I think we are looking for the perfect disposal, however in pressure type games like today, there is no time to think....

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

In the dying few minutes there were a number of questionable (in)decisions.

At the ground it is sometimes hard to see close up and with the benefit of replays so some of these may be non-issues.

1. No free kick from the center after a St Kilda player was put down well after Adam Schneider kicked his goal as a result of advantage from a holding the ball decision.

2. No free on half forward flank, coach's box side to Sean Dempster after he was hit in the head by Brent Prismall in an attempt to shepard.

3. No free to Montagna for the trip out of the middle, or was I and all the others around me imagining things?

4. What happened with the Farren Ray mark over on the reserved seating wing? Did he move off his mark, otherwise why wasn't it 50m?

These are just from the final few minutes. The umpiring was terrible all day but no sour grapes from me - Essendon played very well - however it is disgraceful that these little men are being paid to put forward this rubbish.

goodie
Club Player

I thought we had an atrocious run in that respect today. At least twice the Saints player no longer even had the ball and yet it was paid. The one against Hudghton particularly was a howler.

super dooper
Club Player

SaintBot wrote:In the dying few minutes there were a number of questionable (in)decisions.

At the ground it is sometimes hard to see close up and with the benefit of replays so some of these may be non-issues.

1. No free kick from the center after a St Kilda player was put down well after Adam Schneider kicked his goal as a result of advantage from a holding the ball decision.

2. No free on half forward flank, coach's box side to Sean Dempster after he was hit in the head by Brent Prismall in an attempt to shepard.

3. No free to Montagna for the trip out of the middle, or was I and all the others around me imagining things?

4. What happened with the Farren Ray mark over on the reserved seating wing? Did he move off his mark, otherwise why wasn't it 50m?

These are just from the final few minutes. The umpiring was terrible all day but no sour grapes from me - Essendon played very well - however it is disgraceful that these little men are being paid to put forward this rubbish.
i'm not one to blame umpires but that "trip" was defiently there. I'm not saying that we would have scored from it but essendon certainly wouldn't have been able to enter their F50 so quickly...

oh well, the sky isnt falling just yet

We should a lot of RESOLVE and HEART tonight, when a stk side of yesteryear would have thrown in the towel and lost that by 60-80 pts because it was all too hard...

now there never is a good time to lose a game, but i fell we would have got soo much out of that game its not funny, look forward to us rebounding against the kangas next sunday

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Personally thought the umpiring was shocking today, very inconsistant.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
stinger
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:after he was hit in the head by Brent Prismall in an attempt to shepard.

no.....i saw that one....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Have just been having a look on the Bombers forum and guess what ...

they're whinging about the umpiring too.
You make your own luck and control your own destiny. I also thought there were holding the ball decisions not paid, especially a couple of times when they took on a tackler and got caught.
Blaming the umps is a waste of time. We're masters of our own destiny.

GRAMophone
Club Player

Well sorry - I just have to get this off my chest too. From the angle that I was on I'm damn well sure that really long goal to them in the ? 2nd quarter was touched [by them] Remember thinking if we lose by less than a goal i'll be furious!!

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Umm...one of Kosi's marks was lucky to be paid as Milne had clearly impeded an Essendon player from getting to the contest.

An Essendon kick for goal in the 2nd qtr appeared to be over the line when BJ punched it..but was given a rushed behind (I was right next to it and two of us thought it was over the line and a goal)

Numerous players from both sides got into opponents backs without penalty

The first free to Milne was tiggy-touchwood at best

Swings and roundabouts..they got some dodgy ones.....but so did we.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

gramophone***111 wrote:Well sorry - I just have to get this off my chest too. From the angle that I was on I'm damn well sure that really long goal to them in the ? 2nd quarter was touched [by them] Remember thinking if we lose by less than a goal i'll be furious!!
You are dead right a Bombers player (Monfries I think) clearly touched the ball before it bounced through.

It was Fletchers goal in the first quater by the way *if we are thinking of the same incident)

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
bozza1980
Club Player

The fact that we were horrible played a bigger part in our loss than the umpires who were also terrible.

Holding the ball was definitely a lucky dip and they went through stages of letting everything go then became very technical.

What was the reason for the free kick that resulted in our second goal??

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:The fact that we were horrible played a bigger part in our loss than the umpires who were also terrible.

Holding the ball was definitely a lucky dip and they went through stages of letting everything go then became very technical.

What was the reason for the free kick that resulted in our second goal??
Having looked a recorded replay, yes, there were some stinking decisions both ways. The one thing that stands out, though, is the inconsistency around holding the ball. Several times tackled Bomber players threw the ball away without penalty. I lost count after seven and that was up to half time. Riewoldt, too, was repeatedly impeded (slapping at arms, defender no eyes for ball) but the frees were not paid. Now the latter is kind of the norm...most key, front playing forwards get a dud go, but the former - the dropping the ball one - was pretty bad...

Again, no sour grapes, a lack of effort in the first half combined with a relentless and brave opposition sealed the loss, but geez, a couple of those calls going our way and all of a sudden things are a little different.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
BakesFan
SS Life Member

This loss had nothing to do with the umpiring.
Quite simply, you don't win games of footy if you only play at your best for 40mins out of 120mins..... Too much time spent in 2nd gear by too many players.

This loss will be good for the playing group.. it highlights the fact that Four-quarter efforts are what's required.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
aussiejones
Club Player

Umpiring being inconsistent is a fact of life ..like it or not.

Decisions right or wrong need to be accepted ( mostly they are )

But what we would all like is consistency all through a game.

You would just hate it if umpiring decided a game as often it seems to but thats our game .

As some one said our destiny is in our own hands ... finding a way to win despite umpiring .

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

for mine there are two issues

the treatment of the key forwards, nick continually had his arms smashed with no free

the other and always has been the holding the ball and incorrect disposal

I think it should be simplified that if the player takes the tackler on and is caught regardless of whether it is knocked out (a dubious one anyway) or he just drops it, it should always be "ball" because the prior opportunity is "taking the opponent on"

matrix
Saintsational Legend

we received the pressure that we usually apply last night

it will be a learning experience

the boys will not like it
they will be so f***ed off it wouldnt be funny
imagine what the leadership group must be feeling
roo?
lenny would be dark as....

they wil ltrain the frigggin house down and realise that no one is safe.
its a team game and the best team will be chosen.
no excuses
getting frees (even the ones that are there and not payed) from the umps shouldnt be a catalyst for winning

granted there was some shockers..but we werent good enough and they were playing for so much more yesterday.
they woulda been pumped when they saw the blues port score....

BS was right i reckon (this or another thread) if fletcher and ryder hadnt of gone down then the margin would have been much larger

take it
accept it
learn form it boys and fire up against north next week

go saints :)

bozza1980
Club Player

BakesFan wrote:This loss had nothing to do with the umpiring..
Very true, I just pointed out that the umpiring was woeful not that it had a bearing on the result.
BakesFan wrote:Quite simply, you don't win games of footy if you only play at your best for 40mins out of 120mins..... Too much time spent in 2nd gear by too many players.

This loss will be good for the playing group.. it highlights the fact that Four-quarter efforts are what's required.
It was a good old fashion smashing, you can't do much if you can't get your hands on the ball. The bombers (nd it hurts me to say this) were sensational. I'm not sure we learnt much that we didn't already know though apart from the fact that we are capable of "not turning up to play".