Roo's Kicking

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Roo's Kicking

I think if anything is going to motivate Roo to fix his kicking this will.....a real disappointment now...but will be a blessing in disguise I think

Great effort from the boys in this hard training period...almost pinched it

battye
Saintsational Legend

Great effort from the boys in this hard training period...almost pinched it
Yep, there are a lot of positives we can still take out of today's game. As I said in the other thread, the streak ultimately means nothing. Only the finals matter, and the focus must be on firstly making the Grand Final, and then winning it!

Go Saints :)

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

If I hear ONE MORE PERSON sledge Roo's kicking, when half the forward line missed gettable set shots tonight, Ill scream. Ive already put one person in their place to their face tonight when I heard "we'd have won if Rielwoldt could bloody kick straight"

Kicked the clutch goal that put us within touch at 1/2 time and presented brilliantly all night..as he always does

Milney's two were far more gettable

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
ace
Saintsational Legend

He needs to stop throwing his upper body backwards as he drops the ball.
His technique is defective and about time the club made sure it was corrected.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:He needs to stop throwing his upper body backwards as he drops the ball.
What else does he do wrong Peter?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
ace wrote:He needs to stop throwing his upper body backwards as he drops the ball.
What else does he do wrong Peter?
Apparently he doesn't kick goals 100% of the time from every angle and every distance at any time of the day.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The only thing we should be concerned about is Roo not getting down on himself, and actually keeping the faith in his kicking. I am am worried the bloke will go back to not wanting to take his shots and that is definitely not good for this time of year.

Those asking for a technique change, yes definitely needs to happen, but s*** not at this stage of the year. A massive change will only make things worse before they get better, it isn't an overnight thing.

Keep the faith Riewoldt - I will still want the ball in your hands come finals time!

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Christ, have some of you spoons played football? :shock: His "throwback" of the body is just natural. You can tune your kicking style, but you cant change things like that.

Anyway, if your going to go him ,its his ball drop, its too high. But f*** me, whats the world coming to when we are going to pot our captain for missing a goal on his wrong side on a 45 degree angle in a meaningless r20 match? FFS.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Will be interesting to see how he goes about his next "big" kick.

Doesn't necessarily have to be a kick after a siren, just an important kick for goal.

Surely the thoughts of this miss will linger on in his mind. He's human after all.

If he kicked that goal, he could have put his yips to bed forever. Imagine the confidence you would gain from winning a game off your own boot after the siren.

This has been his most confident kicking year since 2004. He has come a long way, hopefully this doesn't set him back.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

People miss set shots. FFS. Prismall missed one thirty seconds earlier that was far easier than Roos and that would have iced the game.
My only observation about the shot that Roo missed was that he didn't seem to really take his time.
Last edited by st.byron on Mon 17 Aug 2009 12:05am, edited 1 time in total.

Gurgman
Club Player

Well maybe you should go down there and fix it since your the expert Ace !!!!!

SaintDebi
Club Player

Roo is one player out there from twenty two. There were any number of lost opportunities tonight. If the only difference in his game tonight was kicking that goal we'd be hailing him a hero.
For God's sake, lets not start singling out any of our boys. This season has been all about team effort. Team wins and a team loss.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

If you have to rely on a forward to kick a goal after the siren to win a game, your team is in a lot of trouble. There were 4 quarters of football and if we hadn't gone completely missing in 2 of those quarters, we would not have been in this position. Get off Roo's case FFS!!!!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Roo is a true professional and pretty much a champion.

No one questions his commitment, courage, overall skill, stamina etc.

But his kicking, although much improved, does not match his level in the other aspects of the game.

He would know that...

just as CJ, Mini, Blake and many others have improved deficiencies...Roo needs to do this to be more of a match-winner and to become a true champion...elite, without deficiencies

Gurgman
Club Player

Roo has almost held this team together over the last few years , you flogs that are giving him a hard time for missing that shot should take a good hard look at yourselves , there are several others that have done SFA all year yet you stick up for them ,

Lennon
Club Player

Gurgman wrote:Roo has almost held this team together over the last few years , you flogs that are giving him a hard time for missing that shot should take a good hard look at yourselves , there are several others that have done SFA all year yet you stick up for them ,
This.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:If you have to rely on a forward to kick a goal after the siren to win a game, your team is in a lot of trouble. There were 4 quarters of football and if we hadn't gone completely missing in 2 of those quarters, we would not have been in this position. Get off Roo's case FFS!!!!
spot on!

And not to mention 4 bombers player's with decent injuries that could barely play out the last term.

We were crap/had a bad night at the office/whatever.

Roo could've taken a bit longer with the final kick, but you know what, I don't think he really was too fussed if it went through or not.....it really didn't matter that much.

A win in those circumstances would've been theft.....if we were "up" for winning it, then we would've hit the front at the 20 minute mark of the final term, slowed down the game and held on for a narrow win.

Oh, and by the way, IMO Roo is about the best thing to happen to St Kilda EVER!

Beej
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Roo could've taken a bit longer with the final kick, but you know what, I don't think he really was too fussed if it went through or not.....it really didn't matter that much.

A win in those circumstances would've been theft.....if we were "up" for winning it, then we would've hit the front at the 20 minute mark of the final term, slowed down the game and held on for a narrow win.
You don't honestly believe that he wasnt fussed whether he missed or not, do you?

In front of 40,000 people and tens of thousands more watching on their television screens, to kick a goal after the siren like he, me, you, and everyone on this forum used to pretend to do when we were kids, you don't think he was bothered either way?

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

SaintDebi wrote:Roo is one player out there from twenty two. There were any number of lost opportunities tonight. If the only difference in his game tonight was kicking that goal we'd be hailing him a hero.
For God's sake, lets not start singling out any of our boys. This season has been all about team effort. Team wins and a team loss.
Sounds about right to me ;)

I really don't know why people are so "up in arms" about 1 loss. Whoop-tee-do! Move on :twisted:

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
JohnE
Club Player

Goal kicking is what lets Kosi and Roo down, they have missed some shockers. It's one aspect of the game they need to work on. My heart's always in my mouth when either one of these two are lining up anywhere past 20 metres...

Kourkoumelis & Beveridge & Traianidis Appreciation Society
stinger
Saintsational Legend

JohnE wrote:Goal kicking is what lets Kosi and Roo down, they have missed some shockers. It's one aspect of the game they need to work on. My heart's always in my mouth when either one of these two are lining up anywhere past 20 metres...
yet kossi is still one of the best kicks for goals in the business....from a distance....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.