Confirmed Saints Have Sunday Final

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Confirmed Saints Have Sunday Final

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews ... 06495.html

Any thoughts?

ST KILDA'S guarantee of a Sunday final and a seven-day break before the finals has become one of the complications to the AFL's chances of shifting the Collingwood-Bulldogs game in round 22.

Post edited...remember..only the link and first paragraph.
Last edited by SaintWodonga on Wed 12 Aug 2009 5:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
HarveysDeciple

I think as long as we get 7 days it doesn't matter too much how the others get.

Had we had a 6 day break it would be a different story

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Are we holding our breath?

bozza1980
Club Player

If both sides hold their positions ie Pies 3rd, Dogs 4th or even swap positions their really isn't much for either to bitch about. They'll both be giving an advantage to a side that placed higher than them.

The problem comes if the bullies were to slip to 5th, then they would be giving up an advantage to a side that finished below them.

Surely they cannot move the game, it has to be harder to shift the day than the venue, and 5 weeks ago it was impossible to shift the venue of a game.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like the AFL is trying to find a way to screw us. I hope Michael Nettlefold is a bit more forceful with the AFL behind the scenes than his public statements would seem to indicate. Certain other clubs, not to mention eddybody, would say in our position, "We are not moving our round 22 game and we WILL be playing our first final on the following Sunday - if other clubs don't like it they can drop dead!"

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Sounds like the AFL is trying to find a way to screw us. I hope Michael Nettlefold is a bit more forceful with the AFL behind the scenes than his public statements would seem to indicate. Certain other clubs, not to mention eddybody, would say in our position, "We are not moving our round 22 game and we WILL be playing our first final on the following Sunday - if other clubs don't like it they can drop dead!"
Umm firstly the AFL have already locked in that our final is Sunday afternoon....and secondly moving our Round 22 game would only give us a even longer break.

Look, chip the AFL when its deserved please, but from what I read their whole aim in this saga is to give the maximum benefit to the minor premiers i.e US!! part of their reluctance to move the Pies Doggies game is because it could mean we get less rest than our opponents in the 1st week.

Far from screwing us, I actually think just this once they are trying to look after us

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

would it be a 2:30 game?

absolutely spewing if it is, as i won't be able to even watch it

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Confirmed Saints Have Sunday Final

SaintWodonga wrote:http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews ... 06495.html

Any thoughts?

ST KILDA'S guarantee of a Sunday final and a seven-day break before the finals has become one of the complications to the AFL's chances of shifting the Collingwood-Bulldogs game in round 22.

Post edited...remember..only the link and first paragraph.

yep.......there were a few ignorant posters on here that swore black and blue that there was no benefit in finishing on top ......apologies will be accepted but not expected....... :wink: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:would it be a 2:30 game?

absolutely spewing if it is, as i won't be able to even watch it
Well it won't be a night game on a Sunday, so try an anti emetic diet for a few days before.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:would it be a 2:30 game?
I hope so....

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Oh yay. Four straight Sunday games! How exciting...

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
perfectionist wrote:Sounds like the AFL is trying to find a way to screw us. I hope Michael Nettlefold is a bit more forceful with the AFL behind the scenes than his public statements would seem to indicate. Certain other clubs, not to mention eddybody, would say in our position, "We are not moving our round 22 game and we WILL be playing our first final on the following Sunday - if other clubs don't like it they can drop dead!"
Umm firstly the AFL have already locked in that our final is Sunday afternoon....and secondly moving our Round 22 game would only give us a even longer break.

Look, chip the AFL when its deserved please, but from what I read their whole aim in this saga is to give the maximum benefit to the minor premiers i.e US!! part of their reluctance to move the Pies Doggies game is because it could mean we get less rest than our opponents in the 1st week.

Far from screwing us, I actually think just this once they are trying to look after us
Um, to look after us they would move OUR game to Saturday and leave the Dogs/Pies game as is.

Then we would have the same break advantage or better, regardless who we play.

What if Brisbane finish 4th?

They play on Saturday, and would get a day's extra break on us if our game isn't moved.

The AFL have not made enough noise about moving our game, I think that is what irks a lot us.

All the AFL have said re us is what we deserve finishing 1st, nothing more, nothing less.

They aren't doing us any special favours!

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:...They aren't doing us any special favours!
Agree. That's obvious, except to the blind. The story today would have eventuated from the StKFC in response to pressure from the AFL to change the date. It's clear that the AFL gave an "indication" to whoever finished first that they would play on the Sunday. However, once Collingwood squealed, the AFL set about reneging on the deal. In terms of favours to us, what you say is absolutely correct. Unfortunately, there are very naive people in this world who think that "they", the people in charge, are always acting in the best interests of everyone.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
Agree. That's obvious, except to the blind. The story today would have eventuated from the StKFC in response to pressure from the AFL to change the date. It's clear that the AFL gave an "indication" to whoever finished first that they would play on the Sunday. However, once Collingwood squealed, the AFL set about reneging on the deal. In terms of favours to us, what you say is absolutely correct. Unfortunately, there are very naive people in this world who think that "they", the people in charge, are always acting in the best interests of everyone.
Why should our game be moved? We get a 7 day 30 minute break.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
perfectionist wrote:
Why should our game be moved? We get a 7 day 30 minute break.
Agree. No reason.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Have there ever been any actual studies in to the effects of shorter v longer breaks?

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

OK, so in everyone's honest opinion, will Collingwood win this one?

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

It's clear that the AFL gave an "indication" to whoever finished first that they would play on the Sunday. However, once Collingwood squealed, the AFL set about reneging on the deal.
Reneging? Whats been reneged? We are playing Sunday, thats set in stone now.

Unless you have a contact inside at the AFL, all your "its clear"s and "its obvious to anyone"'s are actually just supposition and guesswork based on some sort of obsession with the AFL doing over St Kilda every chance they get.

As I said, I'm more than happy to give the AFL a spray when deserved and yes they give Collingwood an armchair ride often..but..this time..your conspiracy theory might just be a bit wide of the mark.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I cannot beleive some people complaining that if we play Brisbane they get a bigger break. We get 7 days and if that isnt enough then so be it and they will also be travelling 2 weeks in a row. No excuses. The reason they were looking at the other game is both sides are in the finals and because they play on Sunday it stuffs their programming up. As it looks now we may not even play either of those 2 sides so why do we even care if it was moved.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ill start warming the car up then

ill be driving straight there, watching game, driving straight back.

coffee and cigs will be my friend that sunday....

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

dcstkfc wrote:Have there ever been any actual studies in to the effects of shorter v longer breaks?
Have been trying to find an AFL specific journal, and there doesn't seem to be one exsiting (In terms of 5 v 6 v 7+ day breaks). The main reason being, as while exercise physiologists/scientists are embraced in the AFL community, no coaching panel is willing to subject their playing group to a study mid season. As there would be a protocol to follow, and sooner or later (mostly within a week or 2 of the study) the protocol would be over ruled by the coach, as performance of the athletes is the coaches no.1 goal/desire and any sacrificing the validity of a study is no big deal to achieve this. It's just not practical.

From a physiological point of view, there is undoubtably a massive advantage of having a longer break especially with a few particular things.

Carpe Diem
matrix
Saintsational Legend

cool if i leave straight after the game i can be home by 2am for work the next day

SideshowMilne
Club Player

Downside is a 1st round loss, means a short break somewhere in the series.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about, we will have a 7 day break after a fairly soft last game of the season against Melbourne who will already be thinking about mad monday whilst the main contenders for fourth spot will have a pretty tough last game. Bulldogs and Collingwood will kick the snot out of eachother. Lions are in Sydney against one of the toughest man on man teams in the comp on a toy ground with no space, and Carlton take on Adelaide which could be a battle for 4th spot so that will be brutal.

If we can't win under these circumstances then we are not good enough, no more excuses!!!

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Unforgiven wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:Have there ever been any actual studies in to the effects of shorter v longer breaks?
Have been trying to find an AFL specific journal, and there doesn't seem to be one exsiting (In terms of 5 v 6 v 7+ day breaks). The main reason being, as while exercise physiologists/scientists are embraced in the AFL community, no coaching panel is willing to subject their playing group to a study mid season. As there would be a protocol to follow, and sooner or later (mostly within a week or 2 of the study) the protocol would be over ruled by the coach, as performance of the athletes is the coaches no.1 goal/desire and any sacrificing the validity of a study is no big deal to achieve this. It's just not practical.

From a physiological point of view, there is undoubtably a massive advantage of having a longer break especially with a few particular things.
More practical would just be to look back at the stats and see how teams coming off 6-day breaks go compared to those off 7 and 8.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs