Was not taking cousins the turning point?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Was not taking cousins the turning point?

Was just thinking of this after watching cuz play his 250th on the weekend. Was the actions after our boards decision not to pick him the turning point in the history of this side?

Ross was on record of saying to the boys, especially the senior players, that you cannot expect one guy coming in to be the catalyst to winning the flag. This seems to be the theme of the year, all for one, one for all. We value 1%'s, team mates running together and tackling, sheparding and attacking the ball together. it's not about goals, marks or kicks. It's about the team things and thats why we can miss 8 stars and still win.

thoughts?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think the turning point was the Hawks and Cats smacking us so hard in the finals.

IMo that drove home that one player would not be the difference...whether that be Harvey or Cousins.

However not getting Cousins may have reinforced it.....but IMO it was more the evident gap when we played the haks and Cats.

Getting tudor was good too...for no doubt he was able to relate his personal experience of the ctas work-rate vs our work rate.

I think that those two losses all drove Lyon and his coaches to tweak our game lan and re-ivent the full court press for AFL.

However there may have been a lot of chicken and egg with the full court press as only a superbly fit team can deliver it.

The right type of fitness had to be built up over time for it to be used.

You might remember early on when Lyon started having our team deploy our defensive game that many players could not run out games and often in the last quarter break the team was full of players get rub-downs.

Remember too that the list Lyon inherited has players who had been bulked up for power...ie BJ.

We also lacked enough players that could gut-run. our players are now fitter...and more can poush themselvers harder.

Now everyone needs to be an endurance athlete.....and blending into the team runners has helped this. many have bagged eddy, but his run enables the game plan to be deployed. (though yes eddy may now get squeezed out...but to me you can see why he gets games when not evceryone is available).

Back on fitness and the full court press

It is too late for other teams to "suddenly" adopt it for 4 quarters if they are not already trained for it..

In particular the Cats are strugling with fitness and so we should have an edge there.

However the Pies are fit enough.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 11 Aug 2009 2:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Re: Was not taking cousins the turning point?

Solar wrote:Was just thinking of this after watching cuz play his 250th on the weekend. Was the actions after our boards decision not to pick him the turning point in the history of this side?

Ross was on record of saying to the boys, especially the senior players, that you cannot expect one guy coming in to be the catalyst to winning the flag. This seems to be the theme of the year, all for one, one for all. We value 1%'s, team mates running together and tackling, sheparding and attacking the ball together. it's not about goals, marks or kicks. It's about the team things and thats why we can miss 8 stars and still win.

thoughts?
They may have been, but they need not be mutually exclusive. We could say the same thing this year and not use our first selection in the draft, but why not have everyone lift AND take that pick? He could have challenged everyone to lift AND we could have taken Cousins. I think he just said what he had to say, as a result of our board turning him down. He could have said a similar thing, with Cousins there and they could all have lifted and Cousins would be the cherry on top. We missed a golden, rare opportunity. And that doesn't include how many more members we may now have. Having said that, we may not be 18-0, but we may be and may be even more dominant and win an extra flag or two.
He looks to be doing brilliantly at Richmond and is seemingly virtually captaining their side. They're speaking extremely highly of him. Our guys playing as a team is definitely the key to our success this year, but we could still be doing so with him here and be even better. Lets not kid ourselves. Ben Cousins running around (probably without a tag), with his gut-running and pinpoint, lace-out disposal to Roo and Kosi?
Ross has shown with some of his selection decisions that he has "Denny Crane sized balls", so I expect he could have said to Cousins that we weren't going to take any crap from him and that he wasn't going to play seniors until he'd proven himself. Cousins has shown how fair-dinkum he was to get back, so I have little doubt he would have proven himself, just as Gardi has.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Tue 11 Aug 2009 3:03pm, edited 5 times in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
tomnz
Club Player

I think turning point was when RL dropped NDS and Milne, he sold his way to everyone on list then.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I think the turning point was the Hawks and Cats smacking us so hard in the finals.
cant argue with that :evil:

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Looks like there were quite a few turning points and will be plenty more. This journey ain't over.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

another one per Ross was the way the guys executed the new game plan in the practice match v bullies, they finally understood what was needed

Before Im 85
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saintsrus wrote:another one per Ross was the way the guys executed the new game plan in the practice match v bullies, they finally understood what was needed
Possibly the worst game of football i had seen to that point. Both the Saints and Dogs fans were laughing, but RL has confirmed that this game was when he felt the team were taking the game plan on board.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
saintsrus wrote:another one per Ross was the way the guys executed the new game plan in the practice match v bullies, they finally understood what was needed
Possibly the worst game of football i had seen to that point. Both the Saints and Dogs fans were laughing, but RL has confirmed that this game was when he felt the team were taking the game plan on board.
Certainly havent seen anything worse since ;-)

Yep..thats the game that i always think "Gee if someone had said to me after that abomination that we'd be 19-0...Id have had them put away"

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

wouldn't have made a bloody difference, except adding even more to our depth, and possibly denying geary or eddy a fair bit of game time!
if any of us think the mental strength of this team would've been weakened by BC arriving - they're doing both the players and the coaching staff a disservice.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
markp
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:wouldn't have made a bloody difference, except adding even more to our depth, and possibly denying geary or eddy a fair bit of game time!
if any of us think the mental strength of this team would've been weakened by BC arriving - they're doing both the players and the coaching staff a disservice.
Yup.