DEAR ROSSIE: DO WE HAVE A PLAN B??????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

elphie
Club Player

DEAR ROSSIE: DO WE HAVE A PLAN B??????

come finals, a plan B is necessary and may make the difference between going all the way.
i hate to say it but we may need to reshuffle the team due to early injury, poor form.....

1. IS KOSI READY TO GO IN THE RUCK?
2. CAN GILBO/DEMPSTER PROVIDE A LEADING FORWARD TARGET?
3. SHALL DAL(& MONTY FOR THAT MATTER) BE PROTECTED/PRODUCTIVE WHEN TAGGED (I.E HIT) HARD?
4. WILL SMALLS HAVE ENOUGH RUN IN LAST QTR AT MCG IN FINALS?

i hope we are ready?!
i trust the coach, who wouldn't, but just would like to see 1-4 above tried now at the latest with a few weeks to go! :roll:

Your thoughts?

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Re: DEAR ROSSIE: DO WE HAVE A PLAN B??????

elphie wrote:come finals, a plan B is necessary and may make the difference between going all the way.
i hate to say it but we may need to reshuffle the team due to early injury, poor form.....

3. SHALL DAL(& MONTY FOR THAT MATTER) BE PROTECTED/PRODUCTIVE WHEN TAGGED (I.E HIT) HARD?

i hope we are ready?!
i trust the coach, who wouldn't, but just would like to see 1-4 above tried now at the latest with a few weeks to go! :roll:

Your thoughts?
1. Kosi rucked for a lil while on Sat

2. Both Dempster and Gilbo have played fwd

3. Joey and Dal have beaten tags numerous times

4. Aurora / Subi are all MCG size

i trust the coach, ...me too :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
spert
Saintsational Legend

RL has a structure and a plan, and it seems that if one player goes down, someone else steps in and carries on the work regardless of names and reputations. I would think that's the plan to win a flag.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Err... we had 8 of our best out last week.

Pretty sure he's on it.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The headline on the 5th quarter was "Saints beat Hawks with their B team"

I guess the nerves are hitting alot of supporters now, as September draws nearer...

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:RL has a structure and a plan, and it seems that if one player goes down, someone else steps in and carries on the work regardless of names and reputations. I would think that's the plan to win a flag.
Yep, agree. That's our plan B, C, D, E, F,.............

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

1. We all know that Kosi can ruck ok (but not outstandingly). Blake can also provide a contest. And we have Big Mac in the wings. We really couldn't be much better served in this respect.

2. Lots of players can provide leads inside the forward 50: the much-maligned Eddy is excellent at it, for example. The problem is whether or not they can subsequently do something with the ball (eg, kick or set up a goal). Eddy and Dempster aren't much chop at it. Gilbert might be ok, but we need him down back. Gwilt is ok but doesn't seem to attract the eye of the midfielders to get enough opportunities. This is definitely a bit of a weak point for our team, but probably the only significant one (which puts us way ahead of the Cats and Pies and other clubs).

3. Against the Cats at their best, Dal and Joey can be found out. The Cats do have a stronger midfield than us. If that happens, we have a great plan B: using Gilbo and BJ and Raph and Chips and Gram to bypass the midfield and get the ball inside the forward 50 early. Also, if we really defend well inside our forward 50, then the Geelong midfield is forced back and becomes less dangerous.

4. This is an area in which Geelong (or the Pies at their very best) might test us. Joey, Dal, Lenny, CJ, Ray, Gram and BJ are, if uninjured, fit enough to go all day. But that leaves us the need to find at least two more smallish guys to run around in the middle. All have some drawbacks.

Eddy - superfit, but limited skills and wastes the ball
Dempster - superfit, skills ok, but can't seem to find the ball
Ball - questionable fitness for a full game at full tilt, but great determination
Armo - seems to have everything, except a big enough motor
McQualter - might be the answer at a pinch, with perhaps Ball or Armo playing further forward in his place

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
matrix
Saintsational Legend

id be pretty sure they know what theyre doing

8-)

i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

Rossy has been ahead of the other teams tactics for most of the year. He has surprised many with his upmost faith in the boys and he is getting rewarded.

I'm sure he has one eye on finals and the other on h&a season!

Go saints in '09!
Saintersss
Club Player

Who needs a Plan B, when Plan A never fails. :lol:

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Saintersss wrote:Who needs a Plan B, when Plan A never fails. :lol:
You always need a plan B

Look at Geelong in last years Grandfinal

Superboot
SS Life Member

I know that the problem in the past was that we didn't have a Plan B, but with respect I think the question has now become almost redundant.

The way we play is in a constant state of flux. The ever-present elements are the tackling and backing each other up, but beyond that we change from all-out attack, to counter-attack, to bottle the game up, to wind down the clock, and back again almost on a moment-to-moment basis. Milne can go to midfield; Kos can go in the ruck; BJ, Gilbert, and Zac can have a run in the forward line.

Plan A, as you might call it, has so many disparate elements and can morph so seemlessly from one strategy to another that we almost don't need a Plan B.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Plan A - we have it
Plan B - they have it
Plan C - in dispute

All 3 plans are looking pretty good to me.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: DEAR ROSSIE: DO WE HAVE A PLAN B??????

elphie wrote:come finals, a plan B is necessary and may make the difference between going all the way.

i hope we are ready?!

Your thoughts?
My thoughts is that you already know the amswers.

Lyon clearly likes versatility in hs players and while some are settled into particular niches, that virtually all have been used ina number of positions.
Lyon has built in 22 great versatility where players can be switched around.

ie

1/Dempster who has just returned wasa run with tagger against the Hawks after playing asa third forward in other games this year. Dempster can clearly play as a defender as well.

2/ BJ has played back, forward and midfield.

3/ Zac has mainly been FB, but has switched forward at times.

4/ Both Milne and Schneider roam widely including at times the backline.

5/ Big Ben played as key forward against the Hawks.

One can go on...and on.... our team is very versatile. King and Gardi to share the ruck....and Max will only be in defence...but everyone else can ve switched around.....though Roo ad kosi will both likely remain as Key Forwards..but if injuries ina game occur then yes Kois may do some ruckworj.

Plan B. We already play various styles. In a game at times we will lock down...then switch to more attacking play. we have also gone one on one at times.

And as to enough run....from what I has seen so far we are probably the fittest team in the AFL.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:
Saintersss wrote:Who needs a Plan B, when Plan A never fails. :lol:
You always need a plan B

Look at Geelong in last years Grandfinal
That is very true, you always need a plan B.
But that comment about not needing a plan B because plan A always works.. Cracked me up.

As for some concerns about a plan B
In Ross We Trust! I am all good with it

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:Plan A - we have it
Work hard to move the ball quickly to an uncontested player then on to our hard running, marking forwards. If they can't mark it then see plan C
InkerSaint wrote:Plan B - they have it
Work hard to pressure, harrass, chase, tackle, corral until we force an error. Once that occurs, see plan C
InkerSaint wrote:Plan C - in dispute
Work hard and win the contested footy. See plan A.

starsign
Club Player

said it very early in the year and still believe it.....

our secret weapon, plan B whatever for September......

(and we saw it briefly un-hostered mid-season , to be quickly disguised again )

GODDARD!!

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I see the only real danger being if we have a really poor day in front of goal. Then Plan B is required!

Taking chances in big finals is imperitive.

Put scoreboard pressure on the opposition & they will feel the physical pressure even more.

Waste chances & teams will get a sniff.

Geelong lost a Grand Final purely on missed chances... they would have beaten the Hawks by 4-5 goals if they'd kicked straight.

Funcoola

i think Ross is the smartest coach in the AFL. We will be 100% primed and ready to go, come finals. Not saying we will win the flag but it will be our best chance in 50 years to win it.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

phase/plan 2/B...

Beej
Saintsational Legend

I would imagine that it would be impossible to win 19 games in a row without a plan B.

bozza1980
Club Player

OLB wrote:I would imagine that it would be impossible to win 19 games in a row without a plan B.
I kind of feel the same way.

I think a hot air has been blown about the cats losing last years flag due to not having a plan b. I'd suggest a plan b, c, d or e still would have fallen down due to their inept shooting for goal.

They didn't lose because of not being tested or trying different things during the season they lost because they choked on the biggest day of the year.

If we choke like they did, plans b-z won't save us.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:I see the only real danger being if we have a really poor day in front of goal. Then Plan B is required!

Taking chances in big finals is imperitive.

Put scoreboard pressure on the opposition & they will feel the physical pressure even more.

Waste chances & teams will get a sniff.

Geelong lost a Grand Final purely on missed chances... they would have beaten the Hawks by 4-5 goals if they'd kicked straight.
Absolutely correct and anyone who doubts it should take another look at ouf final v Collingwood last year. They gave us a hell of a sniff with their wasteful kicking for goal

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I think this becomes the most relevant thread of the month now.

Our game plan isn't 'genius'. Other clubs are onto it, and working out ways around it.

Funnily enough, it's like any game plan - it requires 110% effort fom the players or it's shiit.

So, what do we need to do differently to counter this? What can we do?

Do we simply rely on having all our guns on the park and in form and cross our fingers?

Does Lyon have a clue? Or has it all been riding on having everyone fit and switched on? And now that they might not be 100% switched on, are we dusted?

Can we flick the switch and improve by about 90 points in a fortnight?

Can you take you foot off the pedal whilst other top 4 teams are gathering momentum and expect to simply catch them when you decide to get fair dinkum again?

Why are guys like Dempster getting games, when other players with 93 times more ability aren't? Lyon plays favourites - but are these guys his favourites??

Why did we only score 59 points against North?

Lots of questions, but unfortunately there will be no answers until late September.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Is RF just a troll?

Where was he for all those months when we were flying?

Can he get his cheapies any other way than baiting on this forum?

Did his favorite inflatable get some good luvin' last night cos he thinks the fishing will be good this week?

Lots of questions. Who gives a flying shyte about the answers.