Luke Ball - How do we reckon he went?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gosaints
Club Player

He definately struggled to make an impact in the 1st half but to his credit I thought he was the best player on the ground in the 2nd half. Really stepped up toward the end of the 3rd when the Hawks were coming and ran the game out very well with his 10 last qtr touches.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Some ppl get hysterical and understandably defensive of Bally. Not sure anyone on here has said he played a shocker. Some have said he didn't have much impact - but most have said he needs to have more impact. I think the majority of us would have Ball in our best 22 - I know I do. His clearance work is first rate, and his hard body and courage is invaluable.

SR hit the nail on the had - the bar has been set higher though. Not just by saints players, but mainly by Ball himself. Ball has set a higher standard over the years. In 04-05 he was BOTH a superb clearance player AND a great user of the footy. Is it too much to expect that he uses the ball better? Forget what other, less experienced players are doing, we are talking about Luke Ball. It's almost an insult to Ball by saying that Eddy doesn't dispose of the ball well either. Who cares? As I've said, Ball is already in our best 22 (I don't reckon Eddy is)

To make the saints an even better team, we need Bally to make the play as well. Some have said we've already got players who do that, and that Ball plays a different role nowadays. I would accept that if I believed that Ball wasn't/isn't capable of playing that role. He can do both. The club and Ball have said he's over his injuries. He doesn't make excuses for himself, so he needs to prove that he can do it.

For the record though - Luke Ball was in our best 6 players on the weekend and is in our best team. Here's hoping he gets even better though - that's all :wink:

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:... - Luke Ball was in our best 6 players on the weekend and is in our best team. Here's hoping he gets even better...
Agree.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
Moods wrote:... - Luke Ball was in our best 6 players on the weekend and is in our best team. Here's hoping he gets even better...
Agree.
Yes..in the best 6...I certainly agree with that.

However with a bit better kicking and the goal he should have had he may well have been BOG.

With better kicking Ball will go from being good to really dominating the game.

I know I am being "picky"....but like probably meveryone on this forum I am looking for the best possible Saints team for Sept....all playing at their best.

I guess that the key point is that he was back in much better form that he was before he was dropped.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
derby Street
Club Player

Luke was good - got the ball (especially in the 2nd half) and contributed well to the team. Wished he had of kicked those 2 goals though. Love to see him stay in - should on Saturdays effort.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

gosaints wrote:He definately struggled to make an impact in the 1st half but to his credit I thought he was the best player on the ground in the 2nd half. Really stepped up toward the end of the 3rd when the Hawks were coming and ran the game out very well with his 10 last qtr touches.
That's about how I saw it too. His effort was fine; his ball use (particularly 1st half, and shots at goal) were average. Improved as the game progressed.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:
gosaints wrote:He definately struggled to make an impact in the 1st half but to his credit I thought he was the best player on the ground in the 2nd half. Really stepped up toward the end of the 3rd when the Hawks were coming and ran the game out very well with his 10 last qtr touches.
That's about how I saw it too. His effort was fine; his ball use (particularly 1st half, and shots at goal) were average. Improved as the game progressed.
improved/.

but he sometimes does butcher the ball if he was not an elite player iand was the same as Jones
we would be up in arms about him!