Robert Eddy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Robert Eddy

Now I have always been a fan of Eddy, but he would have to the first to get dropped for this week.

His Champion Data ranking on the weekend was a score of just 9 points.

Clearly not in form and is losing confidence.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Robert Eddy

St Fidelius wrote:Now I have always been a fan of Eddy, but he would have to the first to get dropped for this week.

His Champion Data ranking on the weekend was a score of just 9 points.

Clearly not in form and is losing confidence.
Not sure many will get dropped this week as we have got slight injuries to CJ, Blake, Ray, Gram, Mini and maybe Milne.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

sad to say but he wont make it if we make the last day

hard worker and he'll deff get there in the future imo

nathan000
Club Player

He will go in time. Maybe not this week as Ross will most likely rest a few more players.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

nathan000 wrote:He will go in time. Maybe not this week as Ross will most likely rest a few more players.
I can't se us resting 7 or 8 this week.

My guess is that most rested last week will be back...

That means that say 4-6 will be out to make way.

Maybe 1 or 2 new rests...but that still leabes several players that will be genuine omissions.

On the other hand Armo and Steven went so well one could imagine that they would be given another game....and in particular Armo.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
StPeter
Club Player

I have yet to see Eddy play a good game. Invariably in our bottom three.

Undoubtedly our worst player in the finals last year. He has been very lucky

to have had as many games as he has.

He doesn't deserve any more chances this year. Sorry to be so harsh.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

StPeter wrote:I have yet to see Eddy play a good game. Invariably in our bottom three.

Agree totally... He is just extremely limited when it comes to football ability...

His endurance and work ethic is one thing, but his basic skill and ball winning ability is no where near where it needs to be...

He may get a gig this week if the resting rotations are kept up, but coming into the finals, he's the first one out imo....

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
StPeter wrote:I have yet to see Eddy play a good game. Invariably in our bottom three.

Agree totally... He is just extremely limited when it comes to football ability...

His endurance and work ethic is one thing, but his basic skill and ball winning ability is no where near where it needs to be...

He may get a gig this week if the resting rotations are kept up, but coming into the finals, he's the first one out imo....
He did tag Bateman who on the day was very ineffectual (at least that's what I thought he did, the beers may have given me some goggles), his stats are ordinary, but maybe his effectiveness was pretty good.

mick13
Club Player

Someone please tell me theres a reason for him getting a game ahead of Armo?

And don't say because he plays a different role? Surely you'd rather Armo in the team, doing what he did on Saturday, than Eddy?

I really like Eddy, I just like Armo more. :P

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

How about he can run for a full 4 quarters? I've never seen Armo do that. Even last week he ran out of steam after 3/4 time.

nathan000
Club Player

Armitage had a slight corky and spent some of the 4th on the bench. His 3 quarters were still far more effective and valuable then Eddy's four. Who care s if he can run out a game, it's of no use if he can't get the football.

mick13
Club Player

St DAC wrote:How about he can run for a full 4 quarters? I've never seen Armo do that. Even last week he ran out of steam after 3/4 time.
So you'd rather an athlete over a footballer?

And as mentioned, Armo copped a fair corkie and was on the bike for most of the last.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

mick13 wrote:
St DAC wrote:How about he can run for a full 4 quarters? I've never seen Armo do that. Even last week he ran out of steam after 3/4 time.

And as mentioned, Armo copped a fair corkie and was on the bike for most of the last.
Not convinced on either of them. One good game for Armo in 3 years isn't enough. Would love for both of them to come on. Hopefully Armo has seen what has happened to our best clearance player (Ball) and realises he needs to do more than just crack in. Great on the weekend he was - but he is old enough now that he should be ready to step up. He needs to work just as hard EVERY week.

I'm concerned that he was so far back in the pecking order. Something obviously didn't sit right with the match committee with him. Hopefully the penny has dropped now, and we now see the player that the saints envisaged he would be.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Poor skills, ordinary pace, no physical prescence...but he can run apparently. I would not even consider him before any of Armitage, Geary or Steven.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

mick13 wrote:

Armo was only on the bike for 5 minutes.
He spent 25 minutes on the ground in the last quarter.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

As I have said in other threads, we must not underestimate Lyon's interest in using Eddy to play a particular role which I think only he and Dempster (and, to some extent, Dal, whose endurance is underrated by many people) are fit enough to play.

Eddy's role appears to be to run around as much as possible to fill space which the opposition might otherwise use to hurt us: for example, by rapidly outflanking us after turnovers in the way that the Crows and Bulldogs have made their own.

I have come to the conclusion that the filling/opening up of space on a football field is an important part of Lyon's thinking. I reckon Raph Clarke plays an equivalent role as a space-finder and filler down back, and is also tasked with moving the ball rapidly into space to our advantage after a turnover (not always waiting to pinpoint a pass). McQualter is another one who you sense acts a bit in this way at times.

I know a guy who was part of the Socceroos setup when Terry Venables took over, and he says that El Tel was a revelation in terms of being able to teach the players how to position themselves around a soccer field to deny space to the opposition and create space for themselves.

Eddy, Dempster, Raph and McQualter: all guys who aren't exactly "stars" and who have played the majority of their senior football under Ross (or, in the case of Dempster, under a coaching setup featuring Ross). You get a bit of a sense that these guys help Ross by acting as his "eyes and ears" out on the park, focusing on the way the team is positioning itself to cover space, while other players focus more on their immediate contests.

I'm not saying that Eddy will play in the finals. But I am saying that some of the other fringe players (Ball) could press their claims better if they could demonstrate more of Eddy's positional play.

By the way, this is just a theory I have developed after closely watching the game on Saturday. I have no access to Lyon's actual thinking on these matters. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who does.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
Eddy's role appears to be to run around as much as possible to fill space which the opposition might otherwise use to hurt us: for example, by rapidly outflanking us after turnovers in the way that the Crows and Bulldogs have made their own.

I have come to the conclusion that the filling/opening up of space on a football field is an important part of Lyon's thinking. .
Welcome aboard.

However with a full list he may be squeezed out...and more so as all are now embracing the Lyon way.

An important part of the Saints gameplan is run and endurance...and our full court press relies upon it. Without endurance we could not sustain it for 4 quarters.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

To be fair Eddy played well last year and deserved is promotion off the rookie list.

He also played well in rounds 5 and 6 before coming back into the side @ round 15.

In round 5 (against Port) he had 20 disposals and 4 tackles and a goal

In round 6 (against Bulldogs) he had 19 disposals and 10 marks...

It's just that he as seemed to have dropped off somewhat and may need time in a lower comp to regain his confidence

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
mustangjack
Club Player

I RECKON BLAKE, CJ AND MINI MIGHT GET A WELL DESERVED REST THIS WEEK. :idea:

undecided
Club Player

BLoody umpire shouldoff looked where he was running and Rob Eddy would probably a fair bit up from where he is now