Who Get's The Chop?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

vacuous space
SS Life Member

oneteam wrote:I guarantee you , nothing surer than Ross having depster in the team. he can play anywhere.
Just because Dempster hasn't been dropped doesn't mean he won't be. As long as his opponent is getting twice as many touches as he is, I don't think he's guaranteed a spot. We've functioned for most of the year with just the one tagger. I'm not sure we need two. Dempster did have a bigger job than CJ on the weekend, so maybe it's CJ's spot that isn't safe.

Either way, if we get everyone back, there are going to be some tough outs. Ball, CJ, Dempster and Dawson are all possibilities. I don't think Max is going to go out if he stays fit.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
starsign
Club Player

ace wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:Going to be some broken hearts come finals time, I don't really want to think about it yet. Couldn't imagine what that tap on the shoulder would feel like....
Negligent conduct (one point), low impact (one point) and high contact (two points).
This is a total of four activation points, resulting in a classification of a Level One offence, drawing 125 demerit points and a one-match sanction.
No existing good or bad record.
An early plea reduces the penalty by 25 per cent to a reprimand and 93.75 points towards future record.
:wink: :wink: :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
good one Ace!

boneless23
Club Player

I was not sold on Dempster until recently but since the Bulldogs game he has continued to impress me.

He is a genuine utility player and can fill any number of gaps that arise throughout a game which gives Ross a great deal of flexibility. I would see him as the match up for Didak and could play on Chapman or Stevie J.

One would assume he will only get better as he builds his match fitness heading into the finals.

He uses the ball really well and could be a real X factor for us in September.

I suppose the ony query that remains is Dempster's genuine leg speed. He gets beaten off the mark reguarly but seems to have great closing speed which enables him to be at the drop and put on a spoil.

theMIGHTY

Doesn't it depend on the match ups of who we play? :roll:

Madness? THIS IS ST KILDA!!!
Milton66
SS Life Member

vacuous space wrote:
meher baba wrote:McEvoy instead of King? Once again, go ask Ross.
Not a chance. As encouraging as Benny's game was on Saturday, he hardly did any rucking. He played mostly as a key forward. He's not going to be doing that come finals time. I don't think this is another Mark Blake situation. McEvoy is #3 where two are required. Only an injury to one of the top-2 will get Big Ben a run in finals.

I'm also pretty sure that we can play Blake, Dawson and Hudghton in the same time. Saturday was the fourth time we've done it. Blake seems to be rolling off mediums rather than playing KPP this year. Dawson and Hudghton are true key defenders. As tall as our backline is, it works. We have ground level players drift back there to help out.

My stab at a finals team (assuming all but X and Allen are available):

FB: Baker - Hudghton - Dawson
HB: Blake - S. Fisher - Gilbert
C: Gram - Hayes - Ray
HF: Goddard - Riewoldt - Montagna
FF: Schneider - Koschitzke - Milne
OB: Gardiner - Dal Santo - Jones

IC: Ball - R. Clarke - King - McQualter
All things being equal, I reckon you're very close. The only ? I'd have is Dempster. Raph would prabably the player on edge here, if his form slips.

Dempster, if fit, brings versatility to the team, in much the same way that Blake does.

CJ takes the midfield tag, and Mini is the pressure fwd. So we'll need a good shut down defender that can also clear the ball.

EDIT: The other point of ineterest AFAIAC will be to see how Ball and Armo go in the same team, assuming Armo holds his spot (which he should). If he plays like he did for the next 3 rounds, Ball is no cert.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I still am strongly of the view that you can't play Zac, Max and Blake in the same team in a finals game. Well, I should say, of course you can do this, but only at the cost of blunting your edge elsewhere on the park, eg:

One fewer running back (Raph?)

One fewer midfielder (Armo?)

One fewer space-filling, perpetual motion tagged (Dempster - about whom neither you or I don't care, but be sure Ross does)

No dedicated HFF (which was how we played it against the Cats, but can we get away with it again?)

Max and Blake and Zac are all playing well ATM. But we only need 2 of them. Max and Blake have huge experience of finals footy. Zac has none. In finals, experience counts more than youthful zest and flair: especially down the back! It might seem harsh, but there it is.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

P.S. A bitchy old troll moment.

A word I keep seeing used about Dempster is "versatile". By this, do people mean that he is consistently unable to get his hands on the ball wherever you put him on the park?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

I'll have 2 with sauce thanks

Another opportunity awaits!
vacuous space
SS Life Member

meher baba wrote:I still am strongly of the view that you can't play Zac, Max and Blake in the same team in a finals game. Well, I should say, of course you can do this, but only at the cost of blunting your edge elsewhere on the park...
I can understand the arguments about us being too tall. Clarke and Dempster aren't really ground level guys though. Raph's more of a receiver and Dempster's a stopper. I think no matter what the configuration of our backline, the only ground level guys we have in the back six are Gilbert and Fisher. We obviously need midfield guys to go back and help out. I don't think that's particularly odd. Geelong don't have anyone in their back six who's a noted ground level player.

I have named one too many defenders. I would expect Ross to mix things around with Blake, Clarke or even Gilbert or Dawson spending some time up forward if we named the team like that. In the end it could come down to a choice between Clarke and Dawson. I don't think any of Baker, Blake, Gilbert or Hudghton will miss unless forced out by injury.

In terms of midfield rotations, I think we're fine. Ball, BJ, CJ, Dal, Gram, Hayes, Joey, Ray are all onball types. Mini and Schneider can go in there if needed. That gives us ten for the rotations which I think is enough. Ross might opt for Dempster as an extra tagger. I wouldn't, but I can see the temptation. He might go in at the expense of one of the defenders.

Blake has hardly played KPD all year. He's mostly been rolling off Tom Harley style. Max, Zac and Fisher have been taking most of the key jobs. With someone like Collingwood you can play Max and Zac on Cloke and Anthony and Fisher on Medhurst. You can do a similar sort of thing with Geelong and even the Dogs. I think the defence is tougher as long as they're all in.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Thinline wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
Kosi rested Roo in big Mac to stay
Dont think Kosi needs a rest, he missed in Round 17. Plus I think he needs the game time to find his touch again.
Thought he played like he was resting last weekend to be honest!

Love him, but he hardly cracked a sweat.
Giving Kosi some time on the ball late on Saturday and maybe for a while this week may help him get back into it again, as it has in the past. Taking a few marks around the ground seems to remind him that he can do it and that maybe he'd like to do so inside F50.
If King's shoulder is troubling him I'd give him at least a week to rest it and keep Big Mac in there. He seems to be growing in confidence every week and I'd like to see that continue. Another big game in front of a packed house could also be great for his development.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

100 bucks right now that says blake will play (unless he is injuried) a GF if/when we make it

Superboot
SS Life Member

matrixcutter wrote:100 bucks right now that says blake will play (unless he is injuried) a GF if/when we make it
I agree. Blake would be just about a certainty.