Changes next week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
meher baba wrote: the suddenly much vaunted Armo.
He's played one senior game this year and it happened to a be a beauty.

Why the cynicism?
Sorry, I wasn't meaning to be cynical about him: I thought he played well too. I just meant to say he seemed to be the man of the moment. Pls note I included him in my top 25 for the finals.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

If you go mainly on the game this weekend (and I am sure that our coaching staff will think more broadly than that the ones IMO that put their hands up to play finals football from our "fringe" group of players were:

* Raph. Is a lock now. Has gotten better and better since he returned and now has momentum.

* Ball. Did any things right...but question marks will remain as Ball was several times in the clear under minimal pressure but mis-kicked badly. His in and under work was great, but arguably no better than Armitage who used the ball better.

* Armitage. I think in this game he really put his hand up and I would imagine that he will be given another game against the Dons to shine. A spot in our "finals' team could well be between him and Ball.

* Steven. Had an impressive debut and stamped himself as a future player. His game radiated class. If it was not for the strength of our list at present he would now be playing regular seniors football. However the finals are near and so one would expect Lyon to go with players who have more senior games under their belt.

* Geary. Played an ok first game back, but not at the standard of his games at the start of the year. Personally I would rate him in front of he disciplined Eddy.

* Eddy. Is not really do anything wrong. Is solid and reliable, but yes his skills are not as good as Geary or Armo. However Eddy has the best, or just about the best, endurance at the Club.....and while it does not show up on the stat sheet a player that can run and run to fill the holes ina zone is a valuable commodity and this aspect of his game is under-recognised by many. So if that is the quality that Lyon wants fora role it may see him gaina place in front of Armo. however Dempster is now also back and playing that role.

* Dempster. Is Mr Versatile at present. Tagged Hodge and limited him. Lyon seems to like players who can play several roles and Dempster can play tag, HB, BP (on small and mediums) as well as running link man on the wing. Was tried recently as a medium forward and did ok apart from his accuracy.

* Blake. Another Mr Versatile though this year that has mainly been in a number of defensive roles. The dilemma is at present with all of Max, Blake, Dempster, Raph, Dempster and Baker available and in good form that someone will be squeezed out. Baker is the sole small defender and in recent weeks has been back to his best and so with his hardness which is required in finals football he will be in the 22.

* Gwilt. Is not doing anything wrong. He just does not seem to be in the game enough though. So one question is whether you go for Gwilt as a HFF which is good for our structure or do we plum instead for an extra mid in say Ball or Armo?

* Big Ben. Did not so much play as a ruckman as a key forward on the weekend. He continued to impress though and is definately part of our future. This year Kosi and Roo will be preferred as KFs and Gardi and King as the ruckman as IMO Lyon will prefer their harder bodies and value their finals experience.

Now....not all of those about can be in our final 22....but such huge competition to be in our 22 is very healthy in terms of our finals prospects.

I think several of them will be given another game or too to shine and to press their cases fora finals berth. So I expect over the next game or too that several players will be rested if they have a niggle.

Sam Fisher has a foot injury....and has had a past finals campaign crueled by a foot injury and so it would not surprise to see him miss a second week.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
older saint
SS Life Member

as much as i hope it does not happen chances are injuries will make a couple of these decisions for selectors.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

someone must have info
this article suggest 'atleast' 4 of the 7 coming back
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html
St Kilda can expect at least four of its missing players to return for Sunday's game.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote: The biggest problem I see with Armo, both with St Kilda and Sandy, is his tank. He doesn't have one.
That may have been a major issue in years past, when those in the midfield were playing most of the game, but he'd only be likely to play about 75% in our current side, so it may not matter too much. I'd love to have him if it's wet in a final.

As far as the rest of these posts go, what is clearly evident (especially after Saturday) is that we have about 25 who could very easily be in our best side and perform well enough. What the weekend showed, though, is that it doesn't necessarily matter that much who's there (especially if it's between the guys fighting for the last few spots), because if we could win so easily with 7 of our top 10 out, we can go through undefeated with whichever combo they come up with, as long as they play with the sort of commitment and passion our side showed on Saturday. Given how hard they'll all be fighting for their spots, it's hard to see them not doing so.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

oneteam wrote:

I know it is a big call, but collingwood, and geelong and adelaide do not have a "fevola " type. I think you will find that for the balance of the side, and the need to have strong disposal, that when we play a team with a major full forward like carlton, max will be in and dawson out.
Collingwood will quite likely have Anthony Rocca back, Adelaide have Tippett and Ottens will possibly be at full forward for Geelong. Zac would be ideal for any of those blokes.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

My tip is that over the three remaining games we will see another debutante and Matt Maguire get his 100th game. As to who will come in this week, I would expect Roo and 2 or 3 others, but I would not hazard a guess as to which ones.

DWOODROW
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:Only criticism I see is that Armitage failed to run the game out.
Yeah a corky and blood coming from a cut on the top of your head are little singnificance to his performance. I mean really he can't help it if the coach doesn't put him back on the ground. He really should have just run on and run around alot more, try to injure himself a bit more, get more possessions than 22 cause that is what he had at the end of the 3rd qtr. Very ordinary and overrated IMO and Bernards for that matter. I guess if he Failed to run the game out he should just FAIL to come back to training. :roll:

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Only criticism I see is that Armitage failed to run the game out.
Yeah a corky and blood coming from a cut on the top of your head are little singnificance to his performance. I mean really he can't help it if the coach doesn't put him back on the ground. He really should have just run on and run around alot more, try to injure himself a bit more, get more possessions than 22 cause that is what he had at the end of the 3rd qtr. Very ordinary and overrated IMO and Bernards for that matter. I guess if he Failed to run the game out he should just FAIL to come back to training. :roll:
Have you watched the last Quarter NIMROD?

Armo spent at least 25 minutes of the last quarter on the ground and didn't have one possession. He did have a couple of tackles, but was unable to get to the contest.

His tank has always been suspect and this just proved he doesn't have one.

The coach obviously left him out there to see what he could do.

The fact that even you didn't notice him says it all.

A great first 3 quarters from the kid, but the game goes for 4 quarters.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
ace
Saintsational Legend

OUT: Ross Lyon - can't coach, does not understand the modern game.
IN: Tim Watson - superstar player will make a great coach.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
DWOODROW
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
Have you watched the last Quarter NIMROD?

Armo spent at least 25 minutes of the last quarter on the ground and didn't have one possession. He did have a couple of tackles, but was unable to get to the contest.

His tank has always been suspect and this just proved he doesn't have one.

The coach obviously left him out there to see what he could do.

The fact that even you didn't notice him says it all.

A great first 3 quarters from the kid, but the game goes for 4 quarters.
Oh well sorry oh great one. He doesn't have a tank, I guess that is because he doesn't do much through out the game or get him self into positions that are taxing on the body. Well on that note. Amitage will be resigning from Afl as he can play 3 qtrs but can't get any possession in the last qtr. Although I don't feel all bad about being called a NIMROD. At least it is the first time I have seen you say something positive about him apart from not having a tank. Cheers for that. :)

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

I reckon...

IN: Riewoldt Hayes Montagna Fisher

OUT: King Eddy Gwilt Geary

The Saints are coming!
chook23
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:I reckon...

IN: Riewoldt Hayes Montagna Fisher

OUT: King Eddy Gwilt Geary
why no Dal back in?

saint4life
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Interesting question as to what changes you'd make. Who are we playing against? If Lloyd is still out, assuming Lucas comes back, the Dons are a bit short on big leading forwards...where do Max and Zac go? I'd be very surprised to see either dropped, especially with 3 weeks to go 'til the finals. IMO you'd want Gilbert back in this week, if available.

Roo might be a handy inclusion, Kosi could probably do with a rest. Also, there's probably no point playing 3 big men this time...would be a good game for big Mac, but you'd think unless King was sore, he'd probably go.

IN: Gilbert, Roo?
OUT: Kosi, McEvoy?

Anyone's guess really, but it'll relate more to who will match up best, rather than who has/hasn't had a rest.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Very hard to pick but lets see.

Ins
Hayes, Rooy, Joey, Gilbert, Fisher, Dal,

Outs
Ben, CJ, Blake, Ray, Geary, Gwilt

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

the question now is how much rest do they need.

more than a couple of weeks out and they arguably start to lose touch/confidence.

so it's treading a fine line between risking them with injury for games that don't count and risking them coming back in rusty.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

f****** hell
im starting to get nervous already

bloody finals :? 8-)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:the question now is how much rest do they need.

more than a couple of weeks out and they arguably start to lose touch/confidence.

so it's treading a fine line between risking them with injury for games that don't count and risking them coming back in rusty.
Well I reckon you would only rest for one week. If they have an injury it may be longer. Have a feeling Baker and BJ have slight injuries so may miss 2 weeks. They will not rest anyone after the Essendon game because i think they would want 2 games before the finals to get the team structure right.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Structure looked pretty good to me on Saturday.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Structure looked pretty good to me on Saturday.
It was fine but about 8 of those playing Saturday will not play in the finals. I dont think he will be resting guys in last week before finals and probably not the second last week either.

BelfastSaint
Club Player

Interesting post on bomberblitz purporting to have come from our own Tom Lynch .......... Will be interesting to see if this is close to the mark ....

"For what it's worth, the Saints are gonna be making 6-7 changes for our game, with Goddard the only player who 'may' be given some more time off with his back issues. Not that it's surprising news, but Dal Santo, Hayes, Montagna, Fisher, etc were simply rested, and other than the usual bumps and knocks, not actually injured at all. Source: Tom Lynch (their first round pick in the latest draft)."

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Well I reckon you would only rest for one week. If they have an injury it may be longer. Have a feeling Baker and BJ have slight injuries so may miss 2 weeks. They will not rest anyone after the Essendon game because i think they would want 2 games before the finals to get the team structure right.
so we should play our best FIT team this week?

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

I can see little niggles keeping

Kosi, Blake, Max, Milne, Schneider, Ray and Jones out for this weeks game.

Rest a different 7 each week I reckon

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

so we should play our best FIT team this week?
Yep but I'd be pretty sure CJ, Blake, Ray and maybe Gram have slight injuries this week.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

u reckon they will rest Max again?

maybe round 21?
dunno....wonder if they will take a conservative approach with him (he has missed a few) or just play him and let the cards fall on the table as we seem to have good defensive rotations avl
interesting

ultimate pressure on the guys that do the team selections from now on
what a job huh :!: :?