My Grand Final side if we make it!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rexy
SS Life Member

My Grand Final side if we make it!

FB Baker Dawson Fisher
HB Clarke Blake Gilbert
C Dal Santo Jones Goddard
HF McQualter Reiwoldt Dempster
FF Schneider Koschitzke Milne
R Gardiner Montagna Hayes
IC Ball Gram King Ray

E Gwilt Hudgton McEvoy Armitage

Getting harder and harder. Never thought I would pick a side with out Hudgton in it but I cant see who to drop for him so? May be different if I was picking against a side and had a particular match up for him. Whoever missed out would be stiff though.

Luke Ball an interesting one, needs to be in the side IMO but was not a stand out on Saturday, will hold his spot I hope. Armitage on the other side was great in his only game but is it to late to force his way in permenantly?

Eddy Gwilt and Geary could all lay claims to a half forward spot ahead of Dempster but I think the more experienced and versatile players are very important in finals.

Big Mac could easily be number 2 ruckman by seasons end but can not play in the same side with King and Gardiner. Like the cats of 07 I feel we will go with size and experience when it really counts.
Last edited by rexy on Mon 10 Aug 2009 12:22am, edited 1 time in total.

Maybe this year?
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

ONE WEEK AT A TIME :idea:

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

G'day Rexy,

Long time no see mate.

But hey, lets just pick the side to play Essendon first haha

They walk amongst us...

noob
Club Player

It's funny how yesterdays captain isn't in the actual 22. Max will be vital for finals

rexy
SS Life Member

barks4eva wrote:ONE WEEK AT A TIME :idea:
:oops: Your right, best 22 just seemed like such a cliche. At the end of the day we are all hoping that the best 22 debate has a really meaningful purpose. Picking your grand final side if you are in it gives meaning to your best 22. We saw the cats have to make tough decisions in 07 and be justified in their selection. Same could be said for the Hawks of 08, interestingly enough they both had a ral arm wrestle over their second ruck spot. We if injury free will have 3 or 4 really hard selections to make.

Whether Ball, Eddy, Gwilt, Hudgton, Geary, Armitage, McEvoy etc are picked on a weekly basis is irrelevant in comparison to that one week of selection.

Like you Barks it feels wrong to start talking about GF's and premierships but at the end of the day that is now our sole aim surely? We are the best team of the 09 H&A season. That is sown up.

Maybe this year?
rexy
SS Life Member

noob wrote:It's funny how yesterdays captain isn't in the actual 22. Max will be vital for finals
Far from funny Noob, I would be heart broken for him. Would make me feel physically ill if I had to tell him, but I cant see another way?? Can you?

Maybe this year?
saintsareprettygoodhey
Club Player

would put hudghton in for dawson

hudghton experience comes out tops in big pressure situations + better with the one on one

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Goose?

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:Goose?
8-) :wink:

rexy
SS Life Member

8 weeks ago I would have said Dawson out for Max and was still hoping to see Goose. Now it seems that Dawson provides something more than Max and we will not see Goose this year, to late IMo to bring him in for his first run now.

Maybe this year?
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Lets worry about making the Grand Final before having to worry about picking the side.....

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

Holy Crap!
can you please change the subject to something along the lines "Our Best Side for the finals" anything but Grand final side.

Seriously we have to get through a prelim final first. We can't get too cocky yet!

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
xander
Club Player

well firstly i think this is a bit premature...
and secondly i think max would have to be ahead of both blake and dawson as a key defensive player. The jobs he has done on players this year has been great despite missing so much of the year. his goal saving tackle on buddy in the 2nd was an example of his desperation

rexy
SS Life Member

Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:Holy Crap!
can you please change the subject to something along the lines "Our Best Side for the finals" anything but Grand final side.

Seriously we have to get through a prelim final first. We can't get too cocky yet!
Doesnt matter what we do chick? We only watch!

Maybe this year?
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps, my best 22 IF we make the Grand Final might be more appropriate,

but seriously,

we play Essendon on sunday,

that should be our focus, even as supporters,

just take it,

ONE WEEK AT A TIME,

WE ARE ONE

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:
Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:Holy Crap!

Doesnt matter what we do chick? We only watch!
I agree rexy. As supporters we control nothing. If we can't get a little carried away on a saints supporters only forum, then when can we? 8-)

BTW RExy, been looking at your team for 5 minutes and I think I agree 100%. Only contentious issue would be Max for Zac which I'm still not 100% on either yet.

Newman
Club Player

* Gee guys it's only a 'hypothetical' ... and with 8 players to fit back it's an interesting talking point

You know Rexy I'm with you. I'm now convinced that Raph should be considered. And I reckon I might go for Dawson now just ahead of Max - but if there's one guy you would want to have in the side for sentimental reasons - it's Max. Are we convinced on Dempster? Hmmm. But one thing we must do - pick 22 'fit' players

rexy
SS Life Member

Really good point re 22 fit players, cant afford to take under done or poorly prepared players in to any form of elimination final.

Agree on Max, sentimentally I hope that it is made easy for us. Guys like Dempster Goddard Raph are very flexible so Max could easily end up with a spot. A clear injury list is the pretence I was working with and that made it hard.

Maybe this year?
LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Great effort Rexy. I've been trying to come up with my best saints 22 for some time and it's quite a task.

All the Raph haters will say it's easy drop Raph, all the Blake haters will find it easy and say drop Blake, there will be those who subscribe to the theory of Dempster isn't in the best 22 i don't subscribe to that theory at all.

I agree 100 percent with every single player u have in that 22, my problem is i would have to select a fit Maxy in my 22 so who goes out? Raph Dempster Blake, no not for mine.

I really don't no who goes out, my problem is our best 22 has 23, armo gwilt eddy all been ok but i can happily leave them out.

hmm decisions decisons maybe baker? no Bake's must play geez i dunno talk about doing ya head in.

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
matrix
Saintsational Legend

yup good effort
but one of the top 5 defenders in the last decade, rated by forwards, has been missed out.

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

matrixcutter wrote:yup good effort
but one of the top 5 defenders in the last decade, rated by forwards, has been missed out.

So who misses out?

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

FB Baker Max Fisher
HB Gram Dawson Gilbert
C Dal Santo Hayes Goddard
HF McQualter Reiwoldt Ball
FF Schneider Koschitzke Milne
R Gardiner Montagna Jones
IC R.Clarke Blake King Ray

E McEvoy Armitage Gwilt

This is the team people top 22 easily. Look at every line. the bench my god . Would possibly put any of the emergencies for Clarke. Depends on match ups!

ace
Saintsational Legend

Newman wrote:* Gee guys it's only a 'hypothetical' ... and with 8 players to fit back it's an interesting talking point

You know Rexy I'm with you. I'm now convinced that Raph should be considered. And I reckon I might go for Dawson now just ahead of Max - but if there's one guy you would want to have in the side for sentimental reasons - it's Max. Are we convinced on Dempster? Hmmm. But one thing we must do - pick 22 'fit' players
AND there lies the problem with "Best 22".
They are never all in the "Best and Fit 22".
Some players are always injured.

It is often the players that are not in the "Best 22" but in the "Best and Fit 22" that make the difference.
These players either lose the game by allowing oppostion coaches to play through their superior opponents or these players step up to the plate and make a serious contribution to a win.

St Kilda has a very few players that may not be in the "Best 22" but could be good inclusions in the "Best and Fit 22"

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
super dooper
Club Player

Spinner wrote:Lets worry about making the Grand Final before having to worry about picking the side.....
exactly, we dont want to start sounding like Geelong supporters now.

Went to their game on friday night and on the radio after it was all, "we should have scarlett fit for GF day, Stevie J, otto" etc...

WE NEED TO GET THERE FIRST!!!!!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:
matrixcutter wrote:yup good effort

So who misses out?
if it came down to dawson and max only....
then i go with experience and reputation as well as ability
max is ahead
and would be picked

saying that
i think there is room for both of them 8-)

hey granted....how hard is it to pick the team!!

ive done it 20 odd times and i have 3 possies left to fill
a half forward flank and 3 spots on the bench

i have:
raph
gwilt
zac
geary
armo
eddy
dempster
to fit in 4 spots
:?