Most overrated player in the AFL?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Most overrated player in the AFL?

May seem a bit mean and nasty and arrogant etc in light of result, but surely Sam Mitchell has to be up there. Disposal ordinary, caught with the ball more than any player I reckon I've ever seen, about as quick as, well, me (ie not very), and as damaging as a feather on a concrete slab.

Why all the hooplah?

I reckon he only gets the accolades because other teams don't really care if he runs loose or not therefore gets his hands on the pill. Never really does a lot with it though.

Cannot believe he was adjudged their best. That said, I would have struggled to nominate someone for the honour.

Am I out of line?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Re: Most overrated player in the AFL?

Thinline wrote:May seem a bit mean and nasty and arrogant etc in light of result, but surely Sam Mitchell has to be up there. Disposal ordinary, caught with the ball more than any player I reckon I've ever seen, about as quick as, well, me (ie not very), and as damaging as a feather on a concrete slab.

Why all the hooplah?

I reckon he only gets the accolades because other teams don't really care if he runs loose or not therefore gets his hands on the pill. Never really does a lot with it though.

Cannot believe he was adjudged their best. That said, I would have struggled to nominate someone for the honour.

Am I out of line?
you certainly are out of line.. reputations are earnt over a career not a horrible crappy day in tassie. he wins a lot of hard ball, and has a lot of good leadership qualities.

we can slag the hawks off all we want but they have the one thing that we want, and are still a fair way from..a flag

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
mick13
Club Player

Daisy takes that award I reckon...

He still had 31 touches and was in and around.

McGlynn was their best I reckon though. Dont watch too many Hawks games, but have heard his name a lot. Was impressed with him.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Dale Thomas, hands down. Downhill Skier

Carpe Diem
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

you certainly are out of line.. reputations are earnt over a career not a horrible crappy day in tassie. he wins a lot of hard ball, and has a lot of good leadership qualities.
a) winning the ball is one thing, using it once won is another. I reckon he's way off the pace in the latter stakes b) what leadership qualities are you referring to? Spent most of last year trying to elbow people in the head, did nothing in the GF last year (surely you'd expect a contribution from a leader in the big one), and has done nothing this year at all of note.

I'm not trying to hang the bloke out to dry. But I do think his reputation transcends what he delivers.

But as they say, opionions are like a-holes. We all have em.

we can slag the hawks off all we want but they have the one thing that we want, and are still a fair way from..a flag
I'm not slagging the Hawks at all, nor do I begrudge them their 08 success.
I'm talking about him specifically.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Whilst a very good player, Luke Hodge is overrated, as he is constantly rated as being in the best 3-4 players in the comp...

Always plays loose in defence, and when playing midfield, he cannot shake a tag at all...

He isnt anywhere near the top 5 players in the league, yet ask the any common person on the street, and media clown, and most would rate him higher than Roo...

This is not to say he isnt a very good player, but the question was about ratings...

With regard to the OP, Sam Mitchell is a very good player, but has major limitations and will never be elite...

Rioli was their best imo...

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

[quote="Thinline"]

a) winning the ball is one thing, using it once won is another. I reckon he's way off the pace in the latter stakes[quote]

see Luke Ball, what's your opinion of him?

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Biggest coaching failure this year. Sam Mitchell had some injury problems earlier in the year and I noticed that Alastair Clarkson played him off the back of the square. I thought that once his fitness returned he would be back in the centre and around packs. But no, Sam Mitchell has stayed there and Luke Hodge has gone wandering. Sam Mitchell is a great kick, either foot, over 40 metres. And he is good with his hands, but he is not a runner and cannot break lines with 65 metre kicks like Luke Hodge. I realise Hawthorn has other backline players out from last year but surely Sam Mitchell needs to be at the clearances all of the time. Last year he showed he was good enough to beat most tags.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Lance

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Dale Thomas

followed by

Dale Thomas

and don't forget

Dale Thomas

midas_touch
Club Player

Adjective

overrated (comparative more overrated, superlative most overrated)

Positive
overrated

Comparative
more overrated

Superlative
most overrated

1. Given an undue amount of credit for quality or merit in a field; not necessarily related to popularity.

She is an overrated singer.

2. Dale Thomas.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
fingers
Saintsational Legend

midas_touch wrote:Adjective

overrated (comparative more overrated, superlative most overrated)

Positive
overrated

Comparative
more overrated

Superlative
most overrated

1. Given an undue amount of credit for quality or merit in a field; not necessarily related to popularity.

She is an overrated singer.

2. Dale Thomas.
**applause**

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:
Thinline wrote:
a) winning the ball is one thing, using it once won is another. I reckon he's way off the pace in the latter stakes

see Luke Ball, what's your opinion of him?
Someone not rated as highly as Mitchell ATM

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I agree about Fotherington Thomas (a joke only people who have read the Nigel Molesworth books will get: if you haven't, track them down, they're hilarious). Although he shouldn't be underestimated too much, he can play a bit.

Anthony Rocca could sometimes be good, and worked hard, but his size and appearance (and the team he plays for) exaggerate his star quality. I'm not surprised that the Pies aren't missing him at all ATM.

I've always found Mickey O to be a bit of a rubbish player: moves well, but pretty average ball skills. And he was damn lucky to come away unscathed from a major off-field controversy a few years ago.

Ryan Griffen is another one I wouldn't particularly want at my club.

Mitchell? I reckon he's terrific. And the idea that Hodge isn't one of the best half dozen going around is ludicrous. He's got more skills in his little finger than most players have in their whole body and he is tough as teak: as they seem to make em in Colac. Next time you feel like being condscending to the man in the street, mate, take a pause and consider that he might know more than you do!!

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

I beleive it to be Lids from tigers-Biggest down hill skier around-so much talent, just never became consistent.

Snakeman66
Club Player

No bigger downhill skier than Danyle Pearce.

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
zebraman
Club Player

Anthony Rocca...by a rural kilometre

saints11
Club Player

fingers wrote:Dale Thomas

followed by

Dale Thomas

and don't forget

Dale Thomas

:lol: :lol: :lol:

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

sam mitchell's a little champ!

dale thomas is where leon davis used to be -occasionally brilliant, but rarely sighted and scared of the hard ball.
but i doubt he'll improve like davis has.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

RYAN GRIFFIN!!!

My god, the way the Bulldog fans talk about him, and don't even get me started on the media... He does nothing!!!

They walk amongst us...

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

How many Hawthorn games were viewed to make this analysis? Or like many on here do you only watch opposition teams when they are playing the saints?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Cyril Rioli - Mr Delicious.......only superstar to avg 15ppg and 1gpg.....

Schnieder - 17ppg and 1.5gpg, Milne 14ppg and 2.2gpg.....are not mentioned in the same breath as Junior boy.....

thats right, his defensive pressure is awesome.....only average 2 less tackles a game than Schnieds

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Saint Corin wrote:Dale Thomas, hands down. Downhill Skier
r

daisy thoms. agree . as my old mans says "he plays so wide he gets most of his kicks in the members bar"

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Cyril Rioli - Mr Delicious.......only superstar to avg 15ppg and 1gpg.....

Schnieder - 17ppg and 1.5gpg, Milne 14ppg and 2.2gpg.....are not mentioned in the same breath as Junior boy.....

thats right, his defensive pressure is awesome.....only average 2 less tackles a game than Schnieds
What about date of birth stats?

Cyril 20, Adam 25, Stephen 29.......Maybe thats why.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dale Thomas, does plenty in junk time....and funnily enough is probably the most popular player as far as Collingwood fans go