Armitage must play

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Armitage must play

With Ball out, I cannot understand Armitage still not getting a game.

It hurt us in the finals last year without Ball, leaving Lenny in and under without support and far too much to do on his own,

Armitage is a similar type to Ball, so if there is some message being sent to Ball, surely Armitage playing in his role would make that message even stronger,

IMHO Armitage should be playing now, particularly so as we would need to give him some experience and game time prior to the finals eg: McEvoy, just in case Ball is not playing,

so why on earth is Eddie getting a game when really what is needed with Ball out of the team, is another in and under midfielder to take some heat of Lenny and help win contested ball in the middle,

I rate Lyon as the best coach in the AFL and did so before the season had started so I am no bandwagon jumper on that score,

but I seriously cannot understand how Armitage is not the obvious inclusion while Ball is out of the team, and that there might also be a role for him even with Ball in the team,

but how would we know as he has not been given any game time this year,

and I do not undertstand how Eddy and Geary get games ahead of him.

With Ball out, to me it's a no brainer that Armitage should be IN!

I find this to be very puzzling indeed!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Raven
Club Player

It's hard to say, but I'm sure there must be a good reason. I'm sure Lyon knows what he's doing. Can't say I've gone to watch Armo play this year in the reserves but perhaps he's not in particularly good form?

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I saw him yesterday and put him ahead of the baying pack ie. Jack, Geary (although named best) etc. as the next in line.

Watched him closely and thought his inside work was as good as Bally. Also did a lot of gut running and was absolutely f'd when coming off in rotation.

But Armo didn't get named in the best, which is apparently given by the coaching staff?

doggerel
Club Player

I'm disappointed too - disappointed that Armitage has seemingly not shown the application or execution required to press for a spot in Luke's absence.

We know now that Luke only has bruising so the window of opportunity for Armo may be narrow. If he hasn't been played so far he is unlikely to get the gig I suppose.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: Armitage must play

barks4eva wrote:With Ball out, I cannot understand Armitage still not getting a game.

It hurt us in the finals last year without Ball, leaving Lenny in and under without support and far too much to do on his own,

Armitage is a similar type to Ball, so if there is some message being sent to Ball, surely Armitage playing in his role would make that message even stronger,

IMHO Armitage should be playing now, particularly so as we would need to give him some experience and game time prior to the finals eg: McEvoy, just in case Ball is not playing,

so why on earth is Eddie getting a game when really what is needed with Ball out of the team, is another in and under midfielder to take some heat of Lenny and help win contested ball in the middle,

I rate Lyon as the best coach in the AFL and did so before the season had started so I am no bandwagon jumper on that score,

but I seriously cannot understand how Armitage is not the obvious inclusion while Ball is out of the team, and that there might also be a role for him even with Ball in the team,

but how would we know as he has not been given any game time this year,

and I do not undertstand how Eddy and Geary get games ahead of him.

With Ball out, to me it's a no brainer that Armitage should be IN!

I find this to be very puzzling indeed!
maybe Ross thinks Armitage is just not up to scratch.....

maybe he's your new Rix...your new man crush......

Will we pick up a player in the SSP window :?:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:I saw him yesterday and put him ahead of the baying pack ie. Jack, Geary (although named best) etc. as the next in line.

Watched him closely and thought his inside work was as good as Bally. Also did a lot of gut running and was absolutely f'd when coming off in rotation.

But Armo didn't get named in the best, which is apparently given by the coaching staff?
I wouldnt be putting to much credence on the best in the papers. matter of fact I wouldnt even half rate it.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I wouldnt be putting to much credence on the best in the papers. matter of fact I wouldnt even half rate it.
the coaching panel put it up, don't they? why would they make it so misleading?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I wouldnt be putting to much credence on the best in the papers. matter of fact I wouldnt even half rate it.
the coaching panel put it up, don't they? why would they make it so misleading?
Last week the best player award went to Begley and he didnt make the best. the best player award is given by the coaching staff.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Surely someone must deliver "THE STATS" that support this arguement to the "COACHES BOX".

Would someone like to volunteer to give accurate directions to the "Operational Coaches Box" :?: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :wink: !!

AlpineStars
Club Player

Sometimes we forget but Geary was super early in the year, how many did he play 13 or 14? I would maybe have him ahead of Armo.

Wake me up when September ends.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

AlpineStars wrote:Sometimes we forget but Geary was super early in the year, how many did he play 13 or 14? I would maybe have him ahead of Armo.
Agreed. Also, Jack Steven has been mentioned a lot lately, including by Ross. Nick Heyne wouldn't have done his chances any harm by snagging 5 on the weekend either.

We can all speculate as much as we like but if the truth be known, NONE of us would know what the pecking order is !!

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:Watched him closely and thought his inside work was as good as Bally. Also did a lot of gut running and was absolutely f'd when coming off in rotation.
Also, there weren't too many rotations in the second half with Miles and Goose stuck on the bench, then Bally and Lynch also spending considerable time on the pine injured.

So his running was probably twice as hard.

Have no idea what the pecking order is, but I thought he would have done his chances no harm whatsoever yesterday.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

If we needed an in and under ball winner, we would have just selected Luke Ball. The point is, we have a strong group of mids who work hard both ways and aren't really in the need of a one-dimensional ball winner. Armo wouldn't get time in the centre ahead of BJ, CJ, Dal, Gram, Joey, Lenny and Ray. Unless Armo can force his way in ahead of Eddy or Gwilt, then he's probably going to play out the year at Sandy.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
ace
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon was at the game, he did not go to Adelaide to watch the Dawks lose their feathers.

That means players will be judged by St Kilda's senior coach and measured against what he wants for the St Kilda team.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
TimPekin'sDirtyGuernsey
Club Player

Eastern wrote:We can all speculate as much as we like but if the truth be known, NONE of us would know what the pecking order is !!
This is the most accurate statement I've read on this forum..... EVER!

hAyES
Club Player

Geary is well ahead of Armo right now, but with a few meaningless games coming up before finals we should definitely give him a go. I think we need another in and under midfielder because Lenny is getting up there in age and with no other obvious replacement, I think Armo should get a run. Honestly, his kicking couldn't be worse than Eddy's.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I well and truly see your point Barks, but I cant see it happening.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I know they all have different roles, and it's obviously quite subjective, but what I saw of Armo's workrate yesterday he was ahead of Gears etc.

Mind you, that could have been one out of the box because there were bugger all bench players, but all the same he worked hard and impressed me - and I haven't impressed easily with Armo.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

AlpineStars wrote:Sometimes we forget but Geary was super early in the year, how many did he play 13 or 14? I would maybe have him ahead of Armo.
yup played 14
kicked 7 goal 5
43 tackles
gave away an average of one free per game
averaged 17 disposals a game
looking forward to seeing another pre season under his belt and a few more kilos on the frame.

i honestly thought he was in the side to stay this year

Beekay
SS Life Member

Re: Armitage must play

barks4eva wrote:
I rate Lyon as the best coach in the AFL and did so before the season had started

:lol: :lol:

spert
Saintsational Legend

I reckon one reason why we are going so well is that RL's philosophy is that you give a player a job to do in the team and if the player doesn't do it or can't do it, then out they go -it keeps players on their toes, and names and reputations don't mean much in that scenario. Armo was an emergency last Sat., so he must be close to a game.

bozza1980
Club Player

At the risk of sounding complacent, the club is 18-0, we are hard to please if we still think there is glaring mistakes in the clubs selection policies.

DWOODROW
Club Player

Armo is obviously not doing something right. Not Being in a team that has won 18 straight. Being unable to crack a midfield with the likes of hayes,montagna, the rest. A team that has the fewest changes this year. A team that has showed enormous ability and endevour, courage and so far pretty injury free.

Dave has had an injury plagued year and by some reports some inconsistent performances in the VFL. He has just turned 21 and I think it still needs to click for Dave. Some take time to get going and I think he is in this boat. Given the oppurtunity I'm sure he will get there but this season I would say that Ross is concerntrating on a Grand Final and not individual players careers. Once the previously eluded Flag has been achieved( Being that we continue our amazing season thus far) I am sure there are going to be some players who will want a good rest.

Dave needs to keep his head down and bum up and continue to work harder than he is to reach the level many expect he should have already reached. I mean he can take some comfort in that Matt Maguire has also not gotten a game so sentiment isn't a factor. Hard work and doing the team requirements are. Look at Eddy. Hasn't been outstanding but still in the side.
Anyway would love to see Dave but who knows what will happen. Maybe when a new team from Alice Springs gets going he will have a chance. :lol: