Don't stress about the MCG people!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

Don't stress about the MCG people!!!!

Sydney on a small ground and we looked as shaky as any time this season.

I firmly believe we got in each others way on many occasions.

Roo - whilst heavily knocked early - has nearly always struggled on the fish-bowl SCG.

I really believe our structures will stand up to the MCG far better than a smaller ground.

Bring on September.

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
battye
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, they key reason for it being so close was that we couldn't find space. SCG is an awful ground, really... I guess the only reason the games aren't played at Homebush is to give Sydney that extra advantage.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Now the SCG's owned by the AFL (as such), we better get used to playing that dung heap a couple times a year.

F_Q_F
Club Player

degruch wrote:Now the SCG's owned by the AFL (as such), we better get used to playing that dung heap a couple times a year.
Yep after tonight I reckon that pencilled in game they had us playing Syndey at the SCG just got traced over with pen.

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Exactly...imagine AFL footy played on a little league sized ground or on a primary school oval...only a little smaller than the SCG...throw in a bunch or rabid football-throwing opposition supporters...and you get todays result...hard to get run and hard to find space.

The closed in spaces gives the scraggin swans a sniff...bring on the wide open spaces of the G... a big ground is a big ground... and we have won on big grounds before this year.

The saintas love playing on the G

SaintWal
Club Player

Thought the same.

Our winner this year is to stop other teams from running. Smaller grounds are a problem but larger grounds will suit the game plan. I did think Sydney was terrific at stopping out short sideways kicks in the backline early in the game however this may have been due to lack of space to run and spread.

battye
Saintsational Legend

SaintWal wrote:Thought the same.

Our winner this year is to stop other teams from running. Smaller grounds are a problem but larger grounds will suit the game plan. I did think Sydney was terrific at stopping out short sideways kicks in the backline early in the game however this may have been due to lack of space to run and spread.
There were a couple of times in the first quarter where their frontal pressure was textbook St Kilda.

ace
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Now the SCG's owned by the AFL (as such), we better get used to playing that dung heap a couple times a year.
Yeah but did you know that a guy called Mike Fitzpatrick recentky ended up owning 50% share of Homebush (ANZ) stadium.
That's the same Mike Fitzpatrick who played for Carlscum and is now chairman of the AFL commission.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,,25 ... 10,00.html
AFL chairman Mike Fitzpatrick heads consortium that bought control of ANZ Stadium

June 23, 2009 AFL chairman Mike Fitzpatrick will sit out of any discussions involving the league's plans to increase its use of Sydney's ANZ Stadium after heading the consortium which has bought control of the venue.

The Fitzpatrick-led consortium has bought a controlling 50 per cent stake in ANZ Infrastructure Services (ANZIS), which owns the stadium.

Fitzpatrick will become chairman of ANZIS as a result of the sale.

The deal comes at a pivotal time for the AFL's future in Sydney.

The Swans currently play four matches per season at the 81,000-capacity Homebush venue.

But the AFL is planning to use the stadium more often once the proposed new club in western Sydney enters the competition, due to occur in 2012.

Fitzpatrick said in a statement his investment in ANZIS was a family business decision and would have no impact on the user agreements with the AFL or other sports at ANZ Stadium.

He added he would take appropriate steps to avoid the potential for possible conflict at ANZIS and AFL Commission meetings.

"As Chairman of the AFL and as the proposed chairman of ANZIS and its investment committee, I will absent myself on any issues relating to ANZ Stadium, at either ANZIS or the AFL and will receive no papers on the ANZ Stadium," Fitzpatrick said.
Last edited by ace on Sat 01 Aug 2009 11:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
degruch
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Yeah but did you know that a guy called Mike Fitzpatrick recentky ended up owning 50% share of Homebush (ANZ) stadium.
That's the same Mike Fitzpatrick who played for Carlscum and is now chairman of the AFL commission.
Ah yes, that's true. Well, we'll probably have a couple away games there each year too, one against Western Sydney, one against Carlton.

battye
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
ace wrote:
Ah yes, that's true. Well, we'll probably have a couple away games there each year too, one against Western Sydney, one against Carlton.
Homebush is comparable to Telstra Dome in size though isn't it?

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Was thinking the same thing all night.

Sydney got more inside 50's because a scrubbed kick from the center line gets you within range.

We were a little stagnant at times bring it out of defence. Partly because of the lack of space to run in to and partly because we missed Gilberts run and penetrating kicks along with Dawson.

Not scared of the MCG at all.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: "As Chairman of the AFL and as the proposed chairman of ANZIS and its investment committee, I will absent myself on any issues relating to ANZ Stadium, at either ANZIS or the AFL and will receive no papers on the ANZ Stadium," Fitzpatrick said.
that's interesting - he's admitted that his investment has meant he is unable to fulfil certain obligations expected of his position as afl chairman?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

As I posted before, we hear all this blah, blah, blah about not playing on the MCG.
All those experts remind me of theat Midnight Oil song "Short Memory".
I seem to recall a team called Brisbane winning three premierships in a row at the MCG where they hardly played at all year long but beat teams who play there almost every second week.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.