Teams: round 18 (Gilbert Out!!)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
S.A Saint wrote:relax people we all know that's Lyons way of resting players ;).....
Who has been rested. Kosi was suspended and also hurt his hand and MG has been out 3 weeks so that is hardly rested. I cannot think of a player yet that has been rested.
I think what S.A Saint is saying is that in previous years players with little niggles would have played, but the Club can afford them to fully recover this year

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Seems to me that a lot of it boils down to whether the player has a big engine. Eddy and Dempster both do, and that's why they're in.

I don't see anything in Eddy's game to get excited about, but obviously Ross Lyon does and at 17 - 0, who can argue with him? Eddy is a midfielder who moves like a ruckman, but he has more endurance than any player on the list.

Maguire does not have a naturally big engine, and having spent most of the past three years on the sidelines, it takes quite a while to build up the aerobic fitness to the level required these days. I'll also trust Dave Misson on this one. As Ross said, we are preparing Maguire to succeed - not preparing him to fail. I just hope Maguire believes it, too.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

From my multiple viewings of last week's game, I seem to recall that Sam Gilbert did get a knock to the back or was it the week before? That's the problem with so many wins - they just seem to merge into one mighty game. Does anyone else have the same recollection?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

remember re:eddy he does some grat work when the ball is in the oppositions hands. This we as a club value like gold. If ball can show this type of work off the ball then it most likely will be change like for like.

Glad they don't risk anyone with niggles

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Mr X from the West
Club Player

Gilbert is a huge loss this week. He is by far and away our most important defender.

Hope he is back next week.

I've watched our game last week twice now and didn't see a huge contribution from Eddy - I prefer Geary. But just my opinion.

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
ace
Saintsational Legend

ANOTHER GAME LOST AT THE SELECTION TABLE.

The Sydney selection table that is.
Don't have a good enough team to beat the Saints.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
S.A Saint
Club Player

St Fidelius wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
S.A Saint wrote:relax people we all know that's Lyons way of resting players ;).....
Who has been rested. Kosi was suspended and also hurt his hand and MG has been out 3 weeks so that is hardly rested. I cannot think of a player yet that has been rested.
I think what S.A Saint is saying is that in previous years players with little niggles would have played, but the Club can afford them to fully recover this year
Yep spot on St Fid...i also believe that if this was a finals game that both gardi and gilbo would have played.....

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:i agree with st fid...eddy is a tough in and under player......he is one of the first to fly the flag for a team mate being monstered...an area we were lacking in in the past....he also knows where the goals are...ross said he was on track to play a significant role this year when that blind umpire ran into him at carrara pre-season......
You're kidding right, his kicking for goal is abysmal, his skills are awful and he is so not ready it's unbelievable that he's getting a game.

He doesn't even get close to kicking a goal unless he is about 15 metres out!

Armitage is a better player than Eddy in every way shape or form,

perhaps there are questions on his fitness, because I cannot fathom how Eddy keeps getting a game ahead of him.

Eddy is a serious weak link and the sooner we get Ball back, even if it's in the forward line in Eddy's place the better.

How you can say he knows where the goals are is quite unbelievable, not having a go at you personally, but FAIR DINKUM, I could not disagree with you more!

:wink:

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
stinger wrote:i agree with st fid...eddy is a tough in and under player......he is one of the first to fly the flag for a team mate being monstered...an area we were lacking in in the past....he also knows where the goals are...ross said he was on track to play a significant role this year when that blind umpire ran into him at carrara pre-season......
You're kidding right, his kicking for goal is abysmal, his skills are awful and he is so not ready it's unbelievable that he's getting a game.

perhaps there are questions on his fitness, because I cannot fathom how Eddy keeps getting a game ahead of him.

Eddy is a serious weak link and the sooner we get Ball back, even if it's in the forward line in Eddy's place the better.

How you can say he knows where the goals are is quite unbelievable, not having a go at you personally, but FAIR DINKUM, I could not disagree with you more!

:wink:
b4e have you seen Armitage play this year to make such a comment?

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

pfft. Eddy kicked 2 or 3 goals a few weeks ago. Whatever B4E :roll:

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Emergencies
Geary, Armitage, Macguire

Source- Club e-mail

Given that Sandy don't play till Sunday It may be that these three will travel with the team.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:pfft. Eddy kicked 2 or 3 goals a few weeks ago. Whatever B4E :roll:
Have you ever seen him kick a goal from outside 15 metres?

Against Adelaide ran into an open goal and from 40 metres without any opponent close by kicks it off the side of his boot and it doesn't make the distance!

Set shot against Bulldogs from 35 metres, miskicks and just makes the distance for a point!

Against WB runs into an open goal from 40 metres, no confidence to kick the goal so short passes but due to his poor foot skills gives the defender the opportunity to spoil and no score is registered after a promising move from one end of the ground to the other, and the ball is rebounded!

Please if anyone has seen him kick a goal from outside 20 metres post a link!

AND he's playing in our forwardline!

Maybe he might develop into a good player in a couple of years time but currently his foot skills are atrocious!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Eddy, Gwilt doing very well to keep out

Geary, Ball, Armitage - I would think two of those should be in the seniors.....

Gardiner is a worry......lack of coninuity is a worry for Michael......he was reallty getting into the swing of things...and to miss three weeks with a leg injury will put his fitness and conditioning backwards

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
b4e have you seen Armitage play this year to make such a comment?
I have not seen Armitage this year!

Have noted that he has been in the best players on a number of occasions and when he did play last year, I liked what I saw!

As for in and under etc...etc... I reckon he's got that area covered big time.

I can only summise that he currently does not have the fitness required by the coaching staff to be given more serious consideration.

Having said that, IMHO he would have to have enough fitness levels to play the role that Eddy is currently, but then again that's only my opinion and I'm not privy to more info either way.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:

he's kicked 4.2 in 5 games, that's a pretty solid return, as well as 5 goal assists. sixth in the team for average goals contributed behind the five permanent forwards.

i haven't been as impressed with him this year as last, but he's playing a different role as a defensive forward. i'd like to see him get a few more tackles a game (averaging 3 at the moment). he's definitely in our bottom three at the moment, but still doing ok.

yep, we would definitely be a better team with ball in eddy's place. not sure about armo, having not seen him for 12 months, but i don't reckon he's the finished article yet either.

but it's nice to be winning while getting games into some kids. geary had a go earlier in the year. mcevoy, obviously. eddy now getting a run in the top of the ladder side. gwilt, raph, zac i'd almost include as well - even jones and mcqualter are still improving just by being in the side.

yeah, it'd be nice to see armo's name on the list as well, and maybe lynch or steven or even allen (fingers crossed for next year), but there's only so many spots for inexperienced players.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

barks guess what

ross, the coaching team and selection comittee value what you do off the ball as well as with the ball. Currently eddy is dong his job in a team undefeated.

read the article about injuries and you will seewhy armo and ball are not in the side right now.....

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Zippy
Club Player

I want my bally back :(

Blindly delusional optimist. Fan of the Blake.

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said itâ€
ace
Saintsational Legend

Zippy wrote:I want my bally back :(
Go fetch it. :lol:

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:barks guess what

ross, the coaching team and selection comittee value what you do off the ball as well as with the ball.
From reading this thread it appears that Barks' concerns with Eddy isn't what he is doing off the ball - it's what he's doing with the ball. Both equally important I reckon. Eddy has to get better with the latter.

At least the club has the luxury of playing Ball in the seconds so he can work on certain things, and Eddy gets a chance to show what he can do at this level. I agree with Barks though - Eddy would want to work on his composure a little, as his decision making and skills are still lacking for the required standard.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Solar wrote:barks guess what

ross, the coaching team and selection comittee value what you do off the ball as well as with the ball.
And we on SS value B4E's input of the Prozac as well as with the Prozac. :lol: :wink:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Zippy wrote:I want my bally back :(
When he starts playing the way he is expected to, you will see him back. Hope he is really pee'd off at the moment as that will mean we will see the Luke ball of old during the finals.

In regards to Eddy, back off! Done his job on and off the ball, hence his selection in the team. If you do what you are asked, you will CONSISTENTLY get a game in the Saints senior side.

Gardiner they will be taking a cautious approach to. He is much needed in the finals and they are erring on the side of caution IMHO. If it was a final on Saturday, he would be playing.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I just caught the end of the footy show, I am sure I heard that Gilbert had been listed as an ankle injury?

HarveysDeciple

Interesting that Crouch is back...will get a job on a dal or a joey.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:I just caught the end of the footy show, I am sure I heard that Gilbert had been listed as an ankle injury?
Don't take anything those c0ckheads say as gospel...

Fat boy Billy Brownless said earlier about the Fridays nights match that the Kangaroos pioneered Friday night football 15 years ago...

Try about 24 years ago at least ...

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:I just caught the end of the footy show, I am sure I heard that Gilbert had been listed as an ankle injury?
Don't take anything those c0ckheads say as gospel...

Fat boy Billy Brownless said earlier about the Fridays nights match that the Kangaroos pioneered Friday night football 15 years ago...

Try about 24 years ago at least ...
Good point, it just made we wonder if his previous injury may have been giving him some grief....