Dempster

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

aussiejones
Club Player

Dempster

Dempster did some good things .......needs to polish his goal kicking

Saints94
SS Life Member

His not a full-time forward though he was just standing in for Kozi.

nathan000
Club Player

He looks like he could be a pinch hitter like Goddard, and i think he needs to be capable of doing that as well as i'm not sure he's as valuable in the backline as Gram, Fisher, Raph, Goddard, Dawson, Blake and Max. He is not a big guy so it's not as if we would be too top heavy with him Roo and Kosi down there. His second and third shot at goals were beauties, not sure what happened with the first and fourth though :?

aussiejones
Club Player

My point was he is a decent stand in ........will get better too.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:His not a full-time forward though he was just standing in for Kozi.
We have a vacancy for the "third" marking forward.

This role is medium in size and our gameplan requires someone that can apply great forward pressure.

Gwilt has been tried in tis role....and is ok-ish.

Dempster is also now being played and trialled in this role IMO.

ie Dempster is being trialled asa HFF...and not as a KPF.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

he looked adequete as a half forward flank i thought, but kicks like a defender. that probably just needs a bit of polish.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I don't mind his style, but he looked a little bit short of match hardness in the body, though I think RL is keen on him as a player, so he will probably hold a position and go on from there.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Its time Tom Lynch was tried as the 3rd forward. Instead of playing around with defenders in Dempster and Gwilt.

Young Georgie
Club Player

What are Lynch's defensive skills like? I've not seen him play but he can certainly kick a goal. As can Roo, Kosi, Milney, Schneider and a host of midfielders and the odd defender (bobbing up when necessary). That 3rd forward in Gwilt or Dempster have proven they can kick a goal when needed but what's really important is how they fit into the structure applying enormous pressure as experienced defensive forwards. I see he's same height as Dempster and taller than Gwilt, can he effectively impose himself at this level at this stage of the season?

Graceful, elusive, strong overhead and no Easybeat!
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I hate to say it... but... Shane Allen anyone?

I just love the fact that Ross throws one at us out of left field at times... Dempster is 6'3, takes a good mark, great defensively & has a kick like a mule (and just as accurate).

If he can tighten up on the last point, he can definitely be another player we can add to the 'highly versatile' group that is growing by the week.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:I hate to say it... but... Shane Allen anyone?

I just love the fact that Ross throws one at us out of left field at times... Dempster is 6'3, takes a good mark, great defensively & has a kick like a mule (and just as accurate).

If he can tighten up on the last point, he can definitely be another player we can add to the 'highly versatile' group that is growing by the week.
Is he related to Shane Ellen? :oops: :evil:

For a bloke who has a kick like a mule, Dempster stabs at the ball when kicking..virtually no follow-through

Went back to defence in the 2nd half unless I'm mistaken

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Dempster had four shots on goal, two of which missed altogether. He showed a lot of potential up front aside from the expected pressure and tackling. I'd be surprised if we didn't persist with him as a forward in the future.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
avid
Club Player

I was certainly happy to see him kick a goal, But I didn't rate Dempster's game very highly at all. Four kicks in all if I remember.
I'm biased. I wanted Maguire in the team -- either marking Minson in defense, or as the big Kosi substitute up forward.
Surely he could have achieved everything that Dempster did, and much more.

PLEASE pick Goose SOMETIME soon!

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

The one thing I was a little surprised with is his over head marking.

He does take a decent mark and something you don't really see when he plays down back and spoils

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

dempster isn't my favourite player but Ross has worked the numbers well so <shrug>

you'd think baker was his least favourite player but he ploughed on with baker despite low 'numbers' and the fans on here baying for his blood.

he dropped ball a st champion and former captain, along with milne and dal santo at various stages.

I am still not impressed with dempster, but Ross is yet to be proven wrong so go with the flow IMO.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
thirty-seven!?
Club Player

I could see Dempster being used as a tagger on Goodes this week...

Right body size, and going back to a role he used to play... I reckon he may become a bit like Blake - Mr. Versatility! I wonder what his rucking skills are like... 8-)

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

St Fidelius wrote:The one thing I was a little surprised with is his over head marking.

He does take a decent mark and something you don't really see when he plays down back and spoils
He took a couple of great grabs running at full pace and also crashed a couple of packs to cause spillages.

And a lovely little touch to Milne or Schneider to set up a goal. When it comes to finals time he could be our Shane Ellen.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Beej
Saintsational Legend

His arms really are something to behold.

His arms, and I say this with a completely unblemished record of heterosexuality, are fabulous!!

Fabulous.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

thirty-seven!? wrote:I could see Dempster being used as a tagger on Goodes this week...

Right body size, and going back to a role he used to play... I reckon he may become a bit like Blake - Mr. Versatility! I wonder what his rucking skills are like... 8-)
I actually pointed it out to saints66au in the Bulldogs match that Dempster is 1cm taller than Blake.

He could turn out to be a handy and versatile player

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
thirty-seven!?
Club Player

St Fidelius wrote:
thirty-seven!? wrote:I could see Dempster being used as a tagger on Goodes this week...

I actually pointed it out to saints66au in the Bulldogs match that Dempster is 1cm taller than Blake.

He could turn out to be a handy and versatile player
Goddard the same size too! Building up a bit of a list of those athletic 190cm, versatile players! Definately far from a bad thing!

carnasaints55
Club Player

OLB wrote:His arms, and I say this with a completely unblemished record of heterosexuality, are fabulous!!

Fabulous.
OLB, are you the new George Costanza? (at least i think it was george...)

roo=god
Beej
Saintsational Legend

carnasaints55 wrote:
OLB wrote:His arms, and I say this with a completely unblemished record of heterosexuality, are fabulous!!

Fabulous.
OLB, are you the new George Costanza? (at least i think it was george...)
It was George. :lol: :wink:

Country Kid
Club Player

saint66au wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:I hate to say it... but... Shane Allen anyone?

Is he related to Shane Ellen? :oops: :evil:

For a bloke who has a kick like a mule, Dempster stabs at the ball when kicking..virtually no follow-through

Went back to defence in the 2nd half unless I'm mistaken
I think he went into defence in the last 5-10 minutes of the game when they gave a couple of the backmen a spell. He is able to give the side a little more flexibility with match-ups. As for his first kick at goal I thought to myself at the time he hadn't gone back far enough from the mark. However his goal in the 2nd qtr shows what he is capable of. If he is to play HFF a lead up role would be ideal as he has the 'engine' to push up to the HBF and run forward.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

And so the forum continues with its collective tendency to overrate Dempster (on performances to date at least).

Dempster did a couple of good things in the game on Saturday night - particularly the goal he set up for Ball by knocking the ball away from an opponent - but he remains a very low output player. If Raph or Gwilt had missed those shots on goal, we would never have heard the end of it.

Lyon clearly has great faith in Dempster being ultimately able to deliver more on a football field than has ever been seen from him in his career to date.

This view is not shared by any football commentators other than (the possibly biased) Robert Walls, nor by the Sydney Swans (who effectively let us have him for nothing, even though he had played in two Grand Final lineups).

As someone has already posted, Lyon has been proven right in many of his calls on players when many on this forum - including me - have dismissed them as a waste of space: Gardi, Raph, McQualter, Geary, CJ, maybe Gwilt, maybe Eddy, etc. So obviously we have to go with him for a while on Dempster.

And his arms are certainly impressive: presumably because he got to spend a lot of time on the weights when his leg was buggered.

But are impressive arms and the adulation of the coach enough to get a spot for Sean in our 22 in the finals? Stay tuned for the next thrilling installment!!

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
DWOODROW
Club Player

I tend to agree that he didn't have a massive impact and on telly he doesn't look that big. I would hate see some of the other players face to face if he looks small and is 6'3. He is in the team however but there are other options waiting to come back in.