The lessons of the Yankees 1998

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Just saw a great documentary about the New York Yankees team that won the pennant in 1998. They won an incredible 125 games in the season, and have been cited as one of the greatest teams ever. The one constant theme was the FOCUS on winning (and winning for the TEAM) all the players interviewed said that they had an unshakeable belief in themselves and that they looked neither Back or forward, but simply took each game as a game to be won. They always took to the ballpark believing that they were going to win!
The Saints side should just concentrate on each game and believe in themselves in the same way!
GO SAINTS! (GO YANKEES!)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Beej
Saintsational Legend

They won 125 games in a season? How many total games do teams play in a season?

And then they have best of 5 and 7 in the play-offs.

Blimey. Those septics don't half love a long, drawn-out sporting season. :roll:

Sunday Red
Club Player

OLB wrote:They won 125 games in a season? How many total games do teams play in a season?

168 games a season I believe, plus four best of seven playoff series.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Sunday Red wrote:...168 games a season I believe, plus four best of seven playoff series.
Just as well it's the second most boring game in the world or else the anxiety levels would be stratospheric!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

The documentary made the point over and over again that the driving force behind the Yanks great season was BELIEF and TEAMWORK. I was struck by the quiet confidence that those players had in their ability to win each ballgame. The lessons for the Saints in 09? STAY FOCUSSED. MAINTAIN BELIEF IN EACH OTHER. TAKE IT ONE GAME AT A TIME.
This rubbish about "the inevitability of a loss" should be put where it belongs..in the bin! It may well be that we'll lose one before seasons end, but we should keep taking it one game at a time...and winning it!!! :lol:

degruch
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
Sunday Red wrote:...168 games a season I believe, plus four best of seven playoff series.
Just as well it's the second most boring game in the world or else the anxiety levels would be stratospheric!
Just imagine how many forum posts demanding Goose play there's be on this forum, plus calls to drop 60-70 games so we'd remain fresh for the finals. Additionally, players would not only rest, they'd retire during the season!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Love baseball and love the Yankees!!! If only my beloved saints could have been half as successful!!!

Could this year be the year the Yankees win the world series and saints win the flag?????!!!!![/quote]

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Sunday Red wrote:
OLB wrote:They won 125 games in a season? How many total games do teams play in a season?

162 games in the Major league Baseball "regular season".

"Every team's going to win 50 games, and lose 50 games, it's what you do with the other 50 games that matters"... when a Major league team doesn't lose 50 Games (as per the '98 Yankees) you know they've done something special, that's an incredible level of consistency.

NBA teams play an 82 game schedule. (4x best of 7 playoff)
NHL teams play an 82 game schedule. (4x best of 7 playoff)

Simply a different attitude to and expectation of sport in North America.

Show them some of the hits in AFL, and then tell them a game is 4x30 minute quarters, and you're going to get a similar level of shock from them as to our sporting philosophies.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Sunday Red
Club Player

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Sunday Red wrote:

"Every team's going to win 50 games, and lose 50 games, it's what you do with the other 50 games that matters"... when a Major league team doesn't lose 50 Games (as per the '98 Yankees) you know they've done something special, that's an incredible level of consistency.

Show them some of the hits in AFL, and then tell them a game is 4x30 minute quarters, and you're going to get a similar level of shock from them as to our sporting philosophies.
Very good post.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

won a comp in new york and had a choice of 2 tickets to a yankee game, or 2 tickets to knicks game, or money.

I asked 'how about rangers tickets?' and then took the money!

(before you go WHAT! - i spent it on a scalped ticket to the football world cup semifinal at giants stadium! (pity the belgians lost).

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Beej
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:(before you go WHAT! - i spent it on a scalped ticket to the football world cup semifinal at giants stadium! (pity the belgians lost).
I must be missing the joke because Belgium weren't involved in the semi's in 94...

Bulgaria v Italy and Sweden v Brasil wasn't it?

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

quite right, sorry typing in a hurry to get home - i bought a bulgarian cap before the game so if they looked up they'd at least see one supporter! a lot of 'italian' americans there for the game (and cheap tickets, all the germans had offloaded theirs to scalpers after losing the 1/4rs).

St Michele
Club Player

Re: The lessons of the Yankees 1998

thejiggingsaint wrote: The one constant theme was the FOCUS on winning (and winning for the TEAM) all the players interviewed said that they had an unshakeable belief in themselves and that they looked neither Back or forward, but simply took each game as a game to be won. They always took to the ballpark believing that they were going to win!
The Saints side should just concentrate on each game and believe in themselves in the same way!
GO SAINTS! (GO YANKEES!)
I actually think this is what the team themselves are doing taking it week by week and only concentrating on that week. Although I am sure there is someone at the club scouting around and looking a bit further ahead.

I have said from the beginning of the year 2009 now is the time and I truely beleive it is the time,
Go Saints!!!

Michele

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Sunday Red wrote:

NFL is the only American sport that can be compared to AFL and they only play 16 games plus playoffs.

Basketball, baseball and hockey are not full body contact sports like AFL and NFL.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:NFL is the only American sport that can be compared to AFL and they only play 16 games plus playoffs.

Basketball, baseball and hockey are not full body contact sports like AFL and NFL.
Buddy.....ever watched an NHL game? It's as rough as they come.....

And.....I've played football & basketball at a decent level, you cop the same in both.....if a 6'10", 140 kg bloke hits you.....you'll know about it.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

The Saintsational Man wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:NFL is the only American sport that can be compared to AFL and they only play 16 games plus playoffs.

And.....I've played football & basketball at a decent level, you cop the same in both.....if a 6'10", 140 kg bloke hits you.....you'll know about it.
You must be kidding.

I watch NHL all the time and it is nothing compared to football. The hits don't stick because you are on skates on ice, which absorbs most of the impact.

As for basketball, give me a break. How long is the court? 20 metres?

Absolutely no comparison.

Can you imagine how many players would be required on a roster to play 100 games a year of football?

We complain now about a six day turn around. How could they ever play four games a week for six months?

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:

You must be kidding.

I watch NHL all the time and it is nothing compared to football. The hits don't stick because you are on skates on ice, which absorbs most of the impact.

Can you imagine how many players would be required on a roster to play 100 games a year of football?

We complain now about a six day turn around. How could they ever play four games a week for six months?
Bloke.....you're comparing the physical aspect of Ice Hockey, followed by the endurance factor of Basketball.....

Make a choice, in the end they're all relative.....

Find the toughest footballer you can, I guarantee you I can find an Ice Hockey or Basketball player who is just as tough...

Same when it comes to endurance.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

bit amazed at the rugby players who backed up just 48 hours after State of Origin...and just realised this isn't the general forum.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:

You must be kidding.

Bloke.....you're comparing the physical aspect of Ice Hockey, followed by the endurance factor of Basketball.....

Make a choice, in the end they're all relative.....

Find the toughest footballer you can, I guarantee you I can find an Ice Hockey or Basketball player who is just as tough...

Same when it comes to endurance.
I understand you're a keen basketball fan (I like the game too) but it is essentially a non-contact sport. Sure it can get pretty fiery at times but basketballers get ejected for things that are common place in AFL.

It's a great game that requires a lot of skill, is played by world class athletes and, like any team sport, there are tough guys, but a hard man's game? No chance.
Last edited by Beej on Fri 24 Jul 2009 11:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:quite right, sorry typing in a hurry to get home - i bought a bulgarian cap before the game so if they looked up they'd at least see one supporter! a lot of 'italian' americans there for the game (and cheap tickets, all the germans had offloaded theirs to scalpers after losing the 1/4rs).
Thought you meant Bulgaria and a great story. Roberto Baggio at his very best, eh? ;)

1994 was my first world cup, and it was during that tournament where I fell in love with the game as a 15 year old. I doubt I'll enjoy another world cup as much as USA 94. Staying up to the wee hours of the morning every day for a month... ahh, happy days. :D

That's 15 years ago now. :shock: :shock:

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote: That's 15 years ago now. :shock: :shock:
that's exactly what i was thinking - years just flying by lately! must be time for a saints premiership pretty darn soon!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Games played on wood and ice aside let's get back to the OP.

Agree with you jiggler, it's all about the team and winning for the team.
Each game being a new endeavor and being played on its own merits.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Stuff comparisons with a baseball side 10 years ago every team that goes through a season and wins the big one has to have that desire and drive to succeed.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:Stuff comparisons with a baseball side 10 years ago every team that goes through a season and wins the big one has to have that desire and drive to succeed.
Truth.