Round 17 INS and OUTS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milton66
SS Life Member

Once again, too many supporters putting individuals ahead of the club. :roll:

If Goose was good enough, he'd be selected.

Get a grip people. :evil:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Saintersss
Club Player

Like said earlier Gwilt to play a defensive role on Lake.
I'd love to have seen Goose or Lynch, but it was always obvious Gwilt would get the gig and good luck to him.

OneGram
Club Player

why wouldn't jimmy be the decoy up forward again?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I don't think this is his "last chance" like so many have predicted, there is still 6 rounds, finals series, and season 2010.

James Hird on the commentary last weekend, said that Goose is upbeat and perfectly aware that it takes time. He is steadily getting games and fitness under his belt, and getting better movement as time goes on.

iremember66
Club Player

Who said the Goose is going??

As I said - don't write him off too sharpish.

Matt is a Saint. If he can't get a game because others are being selected ahead of him then he might - and I am guessing only might - consider trying elsewhere.

If that was to happen we should reluctantly let him go - however - assisting him to the best possible outcome for HIM.

See how we got King, Ray, Dawson, Schneider - all firing for us - and missed by their clubs.

We would be cheap and shoddy to deny Matt the opportunity elsewhere IF - and only if - we can't find a place for him in our top selected side, and IF - and only if, he decided he had to go elsewhere.

My guess he would be torn to depart the Saints, but let's face it he has an absolute right (and probably an absolute responsibility to his nearest and dearest) to seek his fortunes (financially and for glory) whilst he is still physically and mentally able...

My guess is however that he would prefer to stay and attain glory as a member of this great team - AND he will continue to work his guts out to get there!

This is a great side showing a lot of respect for each other - whether playing together or training together - as it should be.

Well done the team and well done the coaching staff and board - I don't believe success comes by accident - a lot of good people are putting a lot of hard work to get us to this flag we will win - and we as supporters must do just that - SUPPORT - to help us all share the benefits.

Go Saints, one and all - we know who we are...

claystreet
Club Player

I think Jim will play forward as a 3rd tall

OneGram
Club Player

claystreet wrote:I think Jim will play forward as a 3rd tall
more likely that he will be supporting that crab in your avatar clay than not IMO.
jimmy the decoy a chance to kick one or maybe even a couple.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

OneGram wrote:he hasn't been named as an emergency this season has he?
maguire was also emergency in round 11 along with miles and armo.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

i would love nothing more (well one thing more) than to see goose playing in the first team again, but those saying he needs to earn a spot on merit rather than sentiment are obviously right...hope he can take that extra step!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:On another note the comments on the facebook update are funny, every comment is about goose, "wheres matt" "whats he done" . Nothing mentioning Ball and Gards. :roll:
Yes..reading the comments on Facebook remind me that we have just as many clueless, disloyal and halfwit supporters as any othe Club.

Anyone who think some people on here dont have a clue should go read the St Kilda fb page...even allowing for the youthful demographic its scary

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
HarveysDeciple

Yep, a lot of people with the "oh they won't pick my favourite player" mentality over on facebook.

Guess what Lyon has a clue.....guess what Goose lacks pace and we playing a side that dominates through attacking on the rebound, would slaughter Maguire when it hit the deck.

Guess what, Gwilt played probably his second best game for the year last time we played the Dogs, guess what we are 16-0, and guess what, we will win again.

Harden the f@rk up!!!!

mick13
Club Player

Har, I actually feel embarrassed reading some of the s*** they're posting.

Added my 2 cents.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:Yep, a lot of people with the "oh they won't pick my favourite player" mentality over on facebook.

Guess what Lyon has a clue.....guess what Goose lacks pace and we playing a side that dominates through attacking on the rebound, would slaughter Maguire when it hit the deck.

Guess what, Gwilt played probably his second best game for the year last time we played the Dogs, guess what we are 16-0, and guess what, we will win again.

Harden the f@rk up!!!!
:lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Very happy with the team selection.When will everyone trust that this mob know what they are doing FFS :x

15 straight doesn't quite do it for you hey :roll:

They see the players first hand and know their relative strengths and weaknesses :shock:

...Think that Gwilt and Max are the logical choices given the nature of the matchups this week..

Have every confidence this team will keep the juggernaut on track :twisted:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:Very happy with the team selection.When will everyone trust that this mob know what they are doing FFS :x

15 straight doesn't quite do it for you hey :roll:
No but 16 straight does :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
Griggsy wrote:On another note the comments on the facebook update are funny, every comment is about goose, "wheres matt" "whats he done" . Nothing mentioning Ball and Gards. :roll:
Yes..reading the comments on Facebook remind me that we have just as many clueless, disloyal and halfwit supporters as any othe Club.

Anyone who think some people on here dont have a clue should go read the St Kilda fb page...even allowing for the youthful demographic its scary
I have no idea what this facebook is...

is there a link, or is it not worth looking at it?

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews ... 07560.html
Saints can't find room for Maguire
Rohan Connolly | July 24, 2009

ST KILDA defender Matt Maguire has again been overlooked for a spot in the Saints' senior line-up, despite the absence of two key-position players for tomorrow night's clash with the Western Bulldogs.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
St Kilda football manager Greg Hutchison said Maguire remained close to a senior recall.

"He's been playing good, solid footy in the VFL, and he knows he's just got to continue playing pretty well at VFL level," he said.

Hudghton hasn't played since the Saints' round-13 win over Richmond, which was only his third game of the season.

Hutchison said the Saints were prepared either for a shootout or a tighter, more defensive game against a team which has improved its defensive capabilities the longer the season has gone.

"They can play flat out, or they can play a bit of tempo footy without problems," he said. "You would expect they'd be going flat out at some stage, because that's the way they like to play footy."

Despite having two fewer days to prepare for the game than their opponent, Hutchison said the Saints had not varied their preparation for tomorrow night's game.

"We prepare each week exactly the same. From what I've seen, our preparation has been no different to last week, or the week before that. There's been nothing done any differently this week to any other week."

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
I have no idea what this facebook is...

is there a link, or is it not worth looking at it?
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/stkfc?ref=nf

you need to log on to view- St kilda like many others are using it for quick news-- even game updates

BUt you then choose who you be'friend' or allow access to your comments.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
degruch
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews ... 07560.html
Saints can't find room for Maguire
Rohan Connolly | July 24, 2009

ST KILDA defender Matt Maguire has again been overlooked for a spot in the Saints' senior line-up, despite the absence of two key-position players for tomorrow night's clash with the Western Bulldogs.
Geez...I can't believe this got press! Goose was a very good player, he probably still is, but I had no idea he was the greatest VFL player ever to miss out on a few games. Is it because he has a lippy uncle, or because the Blues registered mild interest, what is the over-the-top fascination with him at the moment???

I really hope he's back in one day soon, but as long as we keep on winning, I'm not fussed who's in the team. The Swans game would seem tailor made for the return of the Goose, but with Max short on games, you'd expect him to hold down his spot in the team for that match too. Might just have to wait until next year folks.

spert
Saintsational Legend

No doubt Goose is keen to play, but I suspect RL probably doesn't think his overall form is good enough -or he can do a particular job for the team, and it's obvious now that RL will only play guys who are totally fit and can do a very particular job in his team. The days are gone at St. Kilda where you get a walk-up game on your name and past form. If Max doesn't come up 100% fit for tomorrow, then Goose may still get a chance though.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

I know we should not go from the selected team but chips at CHF with roo deeper would be a VERY interesting experiement to try. Chips was a CHF before coming to the club, reads the ball very well and slots goals when he has a chance to shot at them.

All this talk about goose, get your hand off it. Out of all of them armo is stiff because he was showing very good form. Goose has shown it in patches. Suprised lynch didn't get a run but really we are talking about 20-22 position players.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
aussiejones
Club Player

I am a bit over all this Goose talk (much as I think he was a great player)

Cant we just move on and have a bit of faith in our selection panel.

No way was goose suitable against the Dogs.

WB are a real threat .To me they loom as a real threat .

Seeing him in the VFL I wasnt impressed particularly ......