Shane Crawford on the importance of resting players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markp
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Back on track...Crawf reckons physically resting key players over the next few weeks will have some benefit. Does anyone have proof this idea has any merrit?
Has Crawford ever run a marathon?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
degruch wrote:Back on track...Crawf reckons physically resting key players over the next few weeks will have some benefit. Does anyone have proof this idea has any merrit?
Has Crawford ever run a marathon?
Nup. Messes up the hair.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Dare we ever forget.....

I rest my case... (no pun intended).

Beej
Saintsational Legend

That's an opinion from a Brownlow medallist and a great gut-runner. He would have some idea, you would think.

Any proof that there is no benefit?

Any Brownlow medallists recently come out stating that resting players has absolutely no benefit?

AFAIC, from the outside looking in, the way Ross and co are going about managing the side right now tells me that they know the score regarding the benefits of getting rest into players.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:
That's an opinion from a Brownlow medallist and a great gut-runner. He would have some idea, you would think.

Any Brownlow medallists recently come out stating that resting players has absolutely no benefit?

AFAIC, from the outside looking in, the way Ross and co are going about managing the side right now tells me that they know the score regarding the benefits of getting rest into players.
Yes they are resting them during a game as they have done all year but they still havent rested someone from a game. I am not sure one person saying you should rest players is huge sample of an audience.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
OLB wrote:

Yes they are resting them during a game as they have done all year but they still havent rested someone from a game. I am not sure one person saying you should rest players is huge sample of an audience.
Resting during a game, resting for a whole game... as long as they continue to freshen them up before September.

You think Michael Gardiner would have played last week if it were a final?

I think so.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:

I'd rate a fitness expert's evidence ahead of a media personality. Brownlow votes, meh, he is still only speculating, it's not proof either way.

It seems like RL and co are determined not to break the teams momentum and keep them on the park for the duration, at least at this stage. Obviously, I can see the benefits in this, I can also see benefits in resting key players, but fear the downside.

Having an international soccer manager speak to the team this week in regard to managing mental fatigue seem to point towards keeping the guys on the park for the duration.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

You get a few knocks here and there in football, but it's never been that bad in my book. Just some fatigue in the legs. Maybe a bit of the mental stuff, as SS points out.

In the AFL, you're basically subjecting yourself to the same amount of sprinting and running PLUS copious amounts of upper body stress, full body contact and a faster game to boot.

Yet even football players need to be rested. Not just because they are tired but because you want them at 100% for the big games - Cup finals and so on.

People mention buzzwords like "momentum" but seriously, what good is momentum if your players are too knackered?

It's not about resting players en-masse, as Geelong did. But we can can just give the odd player a rest here and there before the season is out - without affecting momentum, without affecting cohesion - and we'll find ourselves ripe and ready for a crack at the premiership.

Isn't that what we all want?

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:You get a few knocks here and there in football, but it's never been that bad in my book. Just some fatigue in the legs. Maybe a bit of the mental stuff, as SS points out.

In the AFL, you're basically subjecting yourself to the same amount of sprinting and running PLUS copious amounts of upper body stress, full body contact and a faster game to boot.

Yet even football players need to be rested. Not just because they are tired but because you want them at 100% for the big games - Cup finals and so on.

People mention buzzwords like "momentum" but seriously, what good is momentum if your players are too knackered?

It's not about resting players en-masse, as Geelong did. But we can can just give the odd player a rest here and there before the season is out - without affecting momentum, without affecting cohesion - and we'll find ourselves ripe and ready for a crack at the premiership.

I am confused you are talking football and then AFL like they are different sports. Arent they one and the same?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I am confused you are talking football and then AFL like they are different sports. Arent they one and the same?
I reckon you might be able to figure it out if you apply yourself.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I am confused you are talking football and then AFL like they are different sports. Arent they one and the same?
Sorry you mean soccer. Thats what confused me. In Victoria football has always meant Australian Rules to me and most others.

Milton66
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:You get a few knocks here and there in football, but it's never been that bad in my book. Just some fatigue in the legs. Maybe a bit of the mental stuff, as SS points out.

Erm, isn't that why we pay the best in the business? To ensure that each player is at their peak fitness heading into finals?

If they need resting or a lighter schedule, I'm sure the club will be forthcoming.

Never flirt with form. What if we did rest 4 players and we lost to the Doggies or another top 8 side? Imagine the psychological edge that would give them.

I say smash 'em all!!

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote: What if we did rest 4 players and we lost to the Doggies or another top 8 side? Imagine the psychological edge that would give them.
*bangs head*

Did I imagine myself posting this?
evertonfc wrote:It's not about resting players en-masse, as Geelong did. But we can can just give the odd player a rest here and there before the season is out - without affecting momentum, without affecting cohesion - and we'll find ourselves ripe and ready for a crack at the premiership

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
Sorry you mean soccer. Thats what confused me. In Victoria football has always meant Australian Rules to me and most others.
The internet recently crossed the Murray, we have it in NSW now. Football seems to be run by the FFA and Aussie Rules by the AFL.

On topic - surely it has to relate to the management of individual players and how they respond to the workloads they have?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
The internet recently crossed the Murray, we have it in NSW now. Football seems to be run by the FFA and Aussie Rules by the AFL.

On topic - surely it has to relate to the management of individual players and how they respond to the workloads they have?
You are more than likely correct but can you please stop calling me Shirley

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
PJ
SS Life Member

Hooray, finally a word of sanity to the fanatically lopsided rest'em/don't rest'em debate. Simple and logical - Thanks

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

The internet recently crossed the Murray, we have it in NSW now.
Now if only it would work properly on those Commodore 64's that are the new-fangled thing up there ;-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
degruch
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
Hooray, finally a word of sanity to the fanatically lopsided rest'em/don't rest'em debate. Simple and logical - Thanks
Yes, makes sense, doesn't it? HOWEVER, I was reliably informed (yet again) last night, that we will HAVE to lose a game to win the premiership, by a Crows fan. The reason? Mentally we can't continue winning for 25 games. :? Luckily he had his 'How to Win the Perfect Season' handbook on him to tell me exactly why 25 straight couldn't be done in one season. :roll:

I asked him if it would make him smile, if the most successful VFL/AFL club of all time pulled off the biggest winning streak in the history of the game (although, I believe Geelong pulled of 26 in a row over 2 seasons) to take a premiership. He agreed, and I reiterated my desire for us to topple the Doggies this weekend. C'mon boys.