Shane Crawford on the importance of resting players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
OLB wrote:

I'm yet to see a marathon runner throw up as he's crossing the finish line.
The "original" marathon runner died....on arrival.

Other runners have "melted-down" their bodies.

Others have pushed to hard and done permanent damage or have even died .
From 1990 to 1999, 14 people died playing Australian Rules football, mostly from brain injury following collisions between players
Of your 14 people...how many would not have died if they had 'rested"? If rest is not a factor.....then why bring it up????

In every case that I am aware of if the runners had "rested" including the original marathon runner they would have lived.

Those who melted down their muscles would also not have melted down if they "rested".

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Beej
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: err...you are the one that brought up Marathon Running as an arguement to back up the benefits of "rest".
I realise both sports are entirely different.

The reason why I brought up marathon runners is because at the top level they compete in a maximum of 3 marathons a year.

The stresses of a game of AFL outweigh a marathon yet we play 22 games a year + finals.

Yet you think seven days is enough to recover from fatigue when it takes marathon runners four months at a minimum.
Last edited by Beej on Thu 23 Jul 2009 2:38am, edited 1 time in total.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
OLB wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
OLB wrote:

The "original" marathon runner died....on arrival.

Other runners have "melted-down" their bodies.

Others have pushed to hard and done permanent damage or have even died .
From 1990 to 1999, 14 people died playing Australian Rules football, mostly from brain injury following collisions between players
Of your 14 people...how many would not have died if they had 'rested"? If rest is not a factor.....then why bring it up????
If you read over the last page and a half, the discussion has actually moved onto which is more taxing on the body - AFL or marathon running.

You're trying to argue that marathon running is the more physically demanding.

I disagree.

Keep up!

Saintschampions08
Club Player

OLB wrote:
saintsRrising wrote: err...you are the one that brought up Marathon Running as an arguement to back up the benefits of "rest".

The reason why I brought up marathon runners is because at the top level they compete in a maximum of 3 marathons a year.

The stresses of a game of AFL outweigh a marathon yet we play 22 games a year + finals.

Yet you think seven days is enough to recover from fatigue when it takes marathon runners four months at a minimum.
You seriously think running a marathon compares to AFL?

Honestly?

Running 42 km non-stop, compares to running 20k (roughly) including multiple rests, and spells on the pine...

A Marathon generally goes for 2 hours ... Footy games go for about 2 and a bit hours, but that includes 2 short breaks and a half hour break (half tmie) not to mention the time spent resting during the game...

Their is absolutely nothing even similar between a marathon and AFL...22 gamse of professional football is a lot easier then running a marathon, 7 days in between games, gees...i feel pity for the players...

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Saintschampions08 wrote:
OLB wrote:

Honestly?

Running 42 km non-stop, compares to running 20k (roughly) including multiple rests, and spells on the pine...

A Marathon generally goes for 2 hours ... Footy games go for about 2 and a bit hours, but that includes 2 short breaks and a half hour break (half tmie) not to mention the time spent resting during the game...

Their is absolutely nothing even similar between a marathon and AFL...22 gamse of professional football is a lot easier then running a marathon, 7 days in between games, gees...i feel pity for the players...
You need to realise that AFL goes beyond just endurance.

You're failing to recognise the effect sprinting, leaping, landing, being bumped, tackled and having your joints smashed against hard turf has on your body. All that ON TOP of running half a marathon every game, which players just about do.

That physicality is a major part of the game that you're forgetting about.

A marathon is purely endurance.

Just to refresh your memory, this is what AFL players need to brace themselves for every week -

Saintschampions08
Club Player

OLB wrote:
Saintschampions08 wrote:
OLB wrote:

Honestly?

You're failing to recognise the effect sprinting, leaping, landing, being bumped, tackled and having your joints smashed against hard turf has on your body. All that ON TOP of running half a marathon every game.

Just to refresh your memory, this is what AFL players need to brace themselves for every week -
That's the point.

Half a marathon, with breaks in between...every time you get hit, you get a minute to recover.

Try running a marathon...you don't stop, you run non-stop for 2 hours.

I'm not saying getting hit, tackled etc isn't taxing, but its nothing compared to running a marathon...

It's why Basketball is such an extremely hard sport to play...theirs no breaks, sure the quarters are only 12 minutes, but you don't stop...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saintschampions08 wrote:
OLB wrote:
Saintschampions08 wrote:
OLB wrote:

Honestly?

You're failing to recognise the effect sprinting, leaping, landing, being bumped, tackled and having your joints smashed against hard turf has on your body. All that ON TOP of running half a marathon every game.

That's the point.

Half a marathon, with breaks in between...every time you get hit, you get a minute to recover.

I'm not saying getting hit, tackled etc isn't taxing, but its nothing compared to running a marathon...

It's why Basketball is such an extremely hard sport to play...theirs no breaks, sure the quarters are only 12 minutes, but you don't stop...
Not sure what you are getting at but i heard you before say footballers should play more. You are right comparing basketball to footy is stupid. Basketballers get it so easy. No where near as much contact on a very small court with 4 time outs a half plus coming off plenty of times during a game. A 48 minute game takes 2 hours to complete. How much rest do you want. An AFL game goes for about 2 hours and takes 2.40 at the most to complete. As you said you cannot compare games because basketball dont work anywhere near as hard as footballers.

markp
Saintsational Legend

You walk at about 5k's an hour, so in 2 hours you could cover 10k's easily.... if a player covers 20k's a game he's averaging about 10k's an hour for the entire game (with breaks).... an elite marathon runner averages about 20 k's an hour for 2 hours non-stop... and half marathons are run at about the same speed... try running that fast for even 10 minutes.

It's a pointless comparison.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
evertonfc wrote:Nice to see us giving Zac and Kosi a week off this week :wink:

I'm pretty keen to avoid a Brett Cook-situation. Which could quickly develop into a Robert Neill-situation. We need fresh, strong back-ups who are ready to go. It cost us in 1997 - and it cost the Cats last year.
ross has actually spoken about putting in a young 'un for a final........mentions brereton a bit in that regard........
when did ross speak about that?

regarding the brett cook situation. having steven king out with suspension has been a blessing in disguise. giving McEvoy 4 games then the 5th last week has developed him. and if a ruckman goes down or is suspended in the finals it won't be a de ja vue situation. whehere we all think back to 1997 and say here we again! Gardiner is the getter choice of course.

having other backup in case of injuries or suspension should be imperiitive. so maybe kosi and zac being out may help us for the finals.
At least we know we are in the finals!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:
:lol: Apples with apples OLB.

I think we all agree, sports like soccer, rugby, gridiron, etc. are much better comparisons. How do they approach 'resting'?

However, given there isn't even another AFL comparison, you'd have to conclude that the whole concept is just a trendy ideal. Did we need to rest players en masse last year?

Beej
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
OLB wrote:

I think we all agree, sports like soccer, rugby, gridiron, etc. are much better comparisons. How do they approach 'resting'?

However, given there isn't even another AFL comparison, you'd have to conclude that the whole concept is just a trendy ideal. Did we need to rest players en masse last year?
In soccer, players cover an average of 9 kms a game compared to 12-15 for an AFL player. The physical demands of soccer could not even be compared to a game of AFL, because again, unlike footy, players are not getting battered throughout a game.

However, it is extremely common to see soccer clubs rest important players saving them for bigger games, and nobody so much as blinks an eyelid. It's been the case for as long as I can remember.

The AFL season goes for only half a year, yet AFL players and coaches are calling for a shorter season.

Either our players are extremely soft, or they have a legitimate point. I like to think they're not soft, that they do have a legitimate point.

AFL is one of the most physically grueling sports in the world, make no mistake.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:
degruch wrote:
OLB wrote:

In soccer, players cover an average of 9 kms a game compared to 12-15 for an AFL player. The physical demands of soccer could not even be compared to a game of AFL, because again, unlike footy, players are not getting battered throughout a game.

However, it is extremely common to see soccer clubs rest important players saving them for bigger games, and nobody so much as blinks an eyelid. It's been the case for as long as I can remember.

The AFL season goes for only half a year, yet AFL players and coaches are calling for a shorter season.

Either our players are extremely soft, or they have a legitimate point. I like to think they're not soft, that they do have a legitimate point.

AFL is one of the most physically grueling sports in the world, make no mistake.
True, re: soccer...it's not the best comparison. NRL might be better. I'd be interested to see if there was a case for resting in the NRL, or whether (much like AFL possibly), no-one admits to it there either?

Well, the AFL season proper only goes for half a year, but add pre-season and the odd operation, you can see why there is a call for a shorter season. Perhaps dropping the pre-season comp has some merit.

In any case...I'm still worried about potential drop off in form. However, me being a (bored, cyber-bludging) designer, you being a professional St Kilda analyst ( :wink: ), Sheeds being a 9000 game veteran, Crawf being a hair model - we're only speculating as to whether it would be an issue, whether resting would be required, etc, etc. It's an interesting concept I don't agree with it on the face of things, but am not 100% opposed to.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

OLB wrote:
degruch wrote:
OLB wrote:

Yeah, and they play 38 games a year...more for cup games, have a number of friendlies at the start of the year and will sometimes play 3 or 4 games in a 7-10 day period...

Not only that, but they generally start playing games around the end of July/ start of August, and don't finish until May...
They don't get a good 5 month break like they do in some sports....

You really think they would rest stars if they played 22 games, one a week, and then had a 4 (generally 3 for the premiers) week final series...

Saintschampions08
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Saintschampions08 wrote:
OLB wrote:
Saintschampions08 wrote:
OLB wrote:

Honestly?

That's the point.

Not sure what you are getting at but i heard you before say footballers should play more. You are right comparing basketball to footy is stupid. Basketballers get it so easy. No where near as much contact on a very small court with 4 time outs a half plus coming off plenty of times during a game. A 48 minute game takes 2 hours to complete. How much rest do you want. An AFL game goes for about 2 hours and takes 2.40 at the most to complete. As you said you cannot compare games because basketball dont work anywhere near as hard as footballers.
If you read my post, you'll notice i wasn't comparing them.

I was using basketball as a point to illustrate how hard something is when you don't get any breaks, 5 players are involved in the play permanently.

Yeah, it's a small court, but you sprint..up..down...up..down...up..down...theirs very rarely time to walk.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

As mentioned in Soccer they play games at short spacings...so in their sport rest on some occassions is valid.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Joffa 5
Club Player

OLB wrote:Marathon runnners aren't bumped, they're not thrown to ground, they never have to sprint, they don't have to leap or change directions, they don't finish marathons with corks and bruises, they rarely get injured.

An AFL player would be able to better cope with the physical demands of a marathon than a marathon runner in a game of AFL.

<snip>

<snip>

IMO a marathon would be a walk in the park for an AFL footballer. They won't be breaking records, but they'd be able to run 42 kilometres in under 4 hours without stopping. Comfortably.

Zac Dawson would shirt-front a marathon runner all the way back to Kenya
Have you ever watched a marathon live? Ever stood at the finish line of a marathon and seen the stragglers falling over the line? Or are you basing this on the highlight reel from the last Olympics?

I have a mate who used to run marathons (as an amateur). The poor bugger couldn't walk for a couple of days after a marathon. The stress put on his body back then has caused him many issues since.

To compare the two is totally irrelevant. To be honest, why are we even discussing this??

As far as resting players goes, the argument coming from Hird, Shaw, etc. in the media at the moment is one of mental fatigue rather than physical fatigue. I'm no sports psychiatrist but the saints didn't look as though they lost the mental edge last Sunday.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Joffa 5 wrote:
OLB wrote:Marathon runnners aren't bumped, they're not thrown to ground, they never have to sprint, they don't have to leap or change directions, they don't finish marathons with corks and bruises, they rarely get injured.

An AFL player would be able to better cope with the physical demands of a marathon than a marathon runner in a game of AFL.

<snip>

<snip>

IMO a marathon would be a walk in the park for an AFL footballer. They won't be breaking records, but they'd be able to run 42 kilometres in under 4 hours without stopping. Comfortably.

Have you ever watched a marathon live? Ever stood at the finish line of a marathon and seen the stragglers falling over the line? Or are you basing this on the highlight reel from the last Olympics?

I have a mate who used to run marathons (as an amateur). The poor bugger couldn't walk for a couple of days after a marathon. The stress put on his body back then has caused him many issues since.
I ran a marathon in my late teens, along with fit 30-somethings, elderly men, women. Robert Harvey ran his first full marathon at the age of 13 and probably played a game footy later on in the afternoon.

Make no mistake, AFL footballers are made of sterner stuff.

Personally, I find running distances easier than having to sprint, walk, stop, sprint, walk, stop. In distance running you're able to maintain a pace, maintain your heart rate and go into cruise mode. You can't do this in a game of soccer or footy. Anyone who's done some form of high-intensity-interval-training (HIIT) will tell you how much more difficult that is than running at the same pace for a long period of time.

AFL footballers retire around 30 years of age on average.

Runners over the age of 50 have entered Olympic marathons. A 38 year old has WON an Olympic marathon.

You tell me what takes more of a toll on the body?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:
Joffa 5 wrote:

<snip>

<snip>

I ran a marathon in my late teens, along with fit 30-somethings, elderly men, women. Robert Harvey ran his first full marathon at the age of 13 and probably played a game footy later on in the afternoon.

Personally, I find running distances easier than having to sprint, walk, stop, sprint, walk, stop. In distance running you're able to maintain a pace, maintain your heart rate and go into cruise mode. You can't do this in a game of soccer or footy. Anyone who's done some form of high-intensity-interval-training (HIIT) will tell you how much more difficult that is than running at the same pace for a long period of time.

Runners over the age of 50 have entered Olympic marathons. A 38 year old has WON an Olympic marathon.

I've done 8 of them so i am pretty qualified. After 4 of those i couldnt walk for 2 days. Marathon runners do one or two a year. it is a completely different sport and not worthy of comparison. Agreed just about anyone can do it but what has that to do with anything.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:It is a completely different sport and not worthy of comparison. Agreed just about anyone can do it but what has that to do with anything.
Exactly Plugger...I don't live in fear of Steve Montagetti laying a hip and shoulder on me off a short burst, they're different athletes with different bodies trained to carry out different tasks.

Back onto the OP, I think Joffa5 has a point when he mentioned 'mental fatigue' - aren't we talking about a mental recharge? A week off footy to get your mind off the pressure? Would this be a more valid concept when discussing 'fatigue' than physically resting players? Again, a drop in focus (like a drop in form or momentum) would be the down side to it all.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
OLB wrote:
Joffa 5 wrote:

<snip>

<snip>

I've done 8 of them so i am pretty qualified. After 4 of those i couldnt walk for 2 days. Marathon runners do one or two a year. it is a completely different sport and not worthy of comparison. Agreed just about anyone can do it but what has that to do with anything.
*thinly veiled "Look at me, I am fit as fu*k" post* LOL

Runners run a marathon and don't compete again for four months.

AFL players cover 15ks a game (almost a half marathon) WHILE getting absolutely battered throughout. They compete again the following week.

This is my point:

I believe a game of AFL takes more of a toll on the body than a marathon.

Marathon runners get 4 months break between marathons. AFL players get a week.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
OLB wrote:
Joffa 5 wrote:

<snip>

<snip>

AFL players cover 15ks (almost a half marathon) a game while getting absolutely battered week after week after week for 6 months. They compete again the following week.

This is my point:

I mentioned I had done them to prove I have experience. I dont understand look at me, I am on a keyboard no one knows who I am so why would I want anyone to look at me. Havent done one in 12 years so all they will see is an over weight middle aged person. Anyway the whole thing of marathon running and football has nothing to do with each other.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
OLB wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
OLB wrote:
Joffa 5 wrote:

<snip>

<snip>

AFL players cover 15ks (almost a half marathon) a game while getting absolutely battered week after week after week for 6 months. They compete again the following week.

This is my point:

I mentioned I had done them to prove I have experience. I dont understand look at me, I am on a keyboard no one knows who I am so why would I want anyone to look at me. Havent done one in 12 years so all they will see is an over weight middle aged person. Anyway the whole thing of marathon running and football has nothing to do with each other.
That was such a joke. I typed that with a smile on my face. Lighten up. :D

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sorry.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Back on track...Crawf reckons physically resting key players over the next few weeks will have some benefit. Does anyone have proof this idea has any merrit?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Steve Staunton on soccer v AFL fitness (from another thread):

One of the key differences between the football codes is the sheer volume of matches played during a season. While AFL clubs play 22 games each season plus up to four finals, European soccer clubs can play up to 60 matches in a year when the various leagues, cups and continental competitions are taken into account. Staunton was keen to note the differences in management styles between the codes to look after the players and the overall interests of the club.

“There is the physical element (in playing 60 games a year), but I think it’s more mental fatigue which I was discussing here with the lads.

“You can prepare properly every week for each game in AFL, but you could be playing Saturday and have a game Monday or Tuesday night (in soccer), so your preparation is not really as good as what you’d want it which is why I suppose you get so many injuries.

“Players cope with it though. Especially the ones at the top end who are internationals as well, playing virtually 11 months a year.â€