Changes this week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

in: Gardiner, Max, Ball
out: Eddy (omit) , Kosi, Dawson (both susp)

Ball for Eddy and Max are obvious ones. Ball goes back into the middle and Maxy covers the defense. King is full time ruck rotation and Big Ben and Gardy take stints up foward and in the ruck.

Ben has played up front in the VFL and can kick a goal plus we all know Gardy can take a grab and kick a goal. Both may be less mobile than Kosi but both have the size and strength to be a good target

I honestly think Goose's form in the VFL has (unfortunatly) not earned him inclusion

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:I cannot give an opinion if I don't know how he has played.
fair enough. i thought you might be one of the posters who have already decided his time at st kilda is over. i apologise if i offended you,
No offence taken, I just thought I was clear on the fact that I don't know Goose's form over the last 4 odd matches.

You did mention the fact that....
i'm wondering how many times you've seen him play this season to make the call on his career.
If his form (again if) he is not up to it, IMO playing him FF against one of the in form FB that maybe the Club are making a call on his career.

It will be a tough call to play him at FF and I would suggest that if he is not really in good form this weeks inclusion into the side maybe a career call.

If he has not been in the best 4 players for Sandi over the last four games I hope he does not play for his sake, but if he plays I hope he plays a blinder.

I would like to see Milne play FF to stuff up Lakes overhead marking.

If Milne can mark on the lead Lakes high marking would be rendered useless.

I would structure a smaller FF line, but that's just my opinion.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

kannus_ wrote:RL has obviously done something right this year considering we are 16-0. I think we are pretty safe to trust whatever decision he makes will be the right one.
correct. he's the guy who has to accept responsibility for the decisions that are made and i'll back whatever team they go with.

claystreet
Club Player

Kosi Zac out

Max Gardy in

PJ
SS Life Member

MG isnt a forward and neither is Ben.
Someone should tell them to get the hell out of the forward line then :roll:

Ben has played plenty of forward time in his development and Gardy can come in from time to time. There are options and these guys can present and do a job.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:It will be a tough call to play him at FF and I would suggest that if he is not really in good form this weeks inclusion into the side maybe a career call.
not giving him the chance might be worse. if he can't break into the side when we're down two key position players (maybe three if max doesn't come up) his future seems bleak.

personally i'd play him, but it's easy for me to say because i don't have to accept responsibility for the decision and ross and the match committee do.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:It will be a tough call to play him at FF and I would suggest that if he is not really in good form this weeks inclusion into the side maybe a career call.
not giving him the chance might be worse. if he can't break into the side when we're down two key position players (maybe three if max doesn't come up) his future seems bleak.

personally i'd play him, but it's easy for me to say because i don't have to accept responsibility for the decision and ross and the match committee do.
If he plays, I would like to see him down back and maybe Gilbert up forward on the HF Line.

It's just that I feel he will be more comfortable down back instead of in the forward half

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

We've made minimal changes every week, so i can't see how this week will be any different.

Out: Kosi, Dawson
In: Maguire, Gardiner

Emerg: Ball, Miles, Gwilt

Max still no good.....

lefty
Club Player

Out: Eddy, Kosi, Zac, McEvoy

In: Armatige, Meguire, Max, Gardiner

I dont want to be harsh but Eddy is definately not in the top 22. His main problem is his kicking, its not up to standard. Geary is WAY ahead than Eddy for me, although I honestly think Armatige deserves a crack. I rate Armo very high as most do, Im not sure why Ross wont play him, I need to see a lenny/armo combo, common Ross!

Meguire for Kosi, give him a go at Full Forward, surely its time to see him have a carck.

Max for Zac, you want both in your team any day of the week :) (max is faster)

McEvoy for Gardiner, Ben still learning, but Gardiner has been in form and has alot more effect around the ground.

Luke Ball... well I couldn't fit him in, he'd be fighting for the Eddy/Geary/Armo spot.
Last edited by lefty on Wed 22 Jul 2009 11:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:Out: Eddy, Kosi, Zac, McEvoy

In: Armatige, Meguire, Max, Gardiner

I dont want to be harsh but Eddy is definately not in the top 22. His main problem is his kicking, its not up to standard. Geary is still better than Eddy for me, although I honestly think Armatige deserves a crack.

Meguire for Kosi, give him a go at Full Forward, surely its time to see him have a carck.

Max for Zac, you want both in your team any day of the week :)

McEvoy for Gardiner, Ben still learning, but Gardiner has been in form and has alot more effect around the ground.

Luke Ball... well I couldn't fit him in, he'd be fighting for the Eddy/Geary/Armo spot.
Again, just why do so many posters want Goose to play FF against Lake?

Correct me if I am wrong but has he only played just two games as FF for Sandi and some on here want him to play FF against Lake in his first hit out this year???

I would like to think, if selected, he would be better off playing in the back half

lefty
Club Player

St Fidelius wrote:Again, just why do so many posters want Goose to play FF against Lake?

Correct me if I am wrong but has he only played just two games as FF for Sandi and some on here want him to play FF against Lake in his first hit out this year???

I would like to think, if selected, he would be better off playing in the back half
Because Goose is big and solid enough to be at Full Forward. Our backline is very strong, so there's no point putting him there. How do you try get into a backline with Max, Fisher, Gram, Clarke, Blake?, Gilbert, Dawson, Goddard, Dempster, Baker. Im sure goose would be craving at the opportunity, its been quite some time, and Im sure he'd try to prove himself.

I cant see a Gwilt or McEvoy playing a FF role, Gwilt is good but not big enough and McEvoy is still learning. I dont think Lynch is ready to have a crack either. If Gwilt came in, then Roo would have to go FF, but I think Roo is better around the Forward flank, he provides that kicking option/strong mark that no one else seems to do.

I wouldn't want to have 3 rucks playing against a fast Bulldogs teams. McEvoy is quite slow around the ground compared to Gardy/King.

Also Bulldogs lack tall defenders so technically Goose should be alright, the matchups should be in our favour.
Last edited by lefty on Wed 22 Jul 2009 11:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:Again, just why do so many posters want Goose to play FF against Lake?

Because Goose is big and solid enough to be at Full Forward. Our backline is very strong, so there's no point putting him there. How do you try get into a backline with Max, Fisher, Gram, Clarke, Blake?, Gilbert, Dawson. Im sure goose would be craving at the opportunity, its been quite some time, and Im sure he'd try to prove himself.

I cant see a Gwilt or McEvoy playing a FF role, Gwilt is good but not big enough and McEvoy is still learning. I dont think Lynch is ready to have a crack either. If Gwilt came in, then Roo would have to go FF, but I think Roo is better around the Forward flank, he provides that kicking option/strong mark that no one else seems to do.

I wouldn't want to have 3 rucks playing against a fast Bulldogs teams. McEvoy is quite slow around the ground compared to Gardy/King.

Also Bulldogs lack tall defenders so technically Goose should be alright, the matchups should be in our favour.
Are Gwilt and Goose much different in size?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:Are Gwilt and Goose much different in size?
no, but goose is a strong key position player and gwilt hasn't shown that he is.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:

Because Goose is big and solid enough to be at Full Forward. Our backline is very strong, so there's no point putting him there. How do you try get into a backline with Max, Fisher, Gram, Clarke, Blake?, Gilbert, Dawson. Im sure goose would be craving at the opportunity, its been quite some time, and Im sure he'd try to prove himself.

Well I differ on that...

his first game since round 7 last year and you and others want him to line up against one of the in form FB who's assets is his marking against top quality FF.

I hope I am wrong on this but I just feel it's too much to ask of him and maybe Gilbert would be better off in the forward half and Goose down back (if Goose gets a game)

lefty
Club Player

ohwhenthesaints! wrote: Are Gwilt and Goose much different in size?
If he is, it wouldn't be by much, but I would think that Goose is stronger/built bigger, but I'd expect Gwilt to be faster/more agile.

lefty
Club Player

St Fidelius wrote:Well I differ on that...

his first game since round 7 last year and you and others want him to line up against one of the in form FB who's assets is his marking against top quality FF.

I hope I am wrong on this but I just feel it's too much to ask of him and maybe Gilbert would be better off in the forward half and Goose down back (if Goose gets a game)
All good, I dont think having this discussion is bad, its a good problem to have :)

Im not sure if I'd want Gilbert out of our backline, he tries and runs the hardest out of all of them, chase's/runs down players when we're in trouble.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:his first game since round 7 last year and you and others want him to line up against one of the in form FB who's assets is his marking against top quality FF.
if he does play there, and i think it's a possibility, i'll be measuring him against kosi's form of the past fortnight.

in other words, the bar is set low (and i love kosi as a player).

all he would need to do is compete, bring the ball to ground for the crumbers, draw a player away from riewoldt and hopefully snag a goal.

structurally the role is important because it gives us the option of going deep to a marking contest.

but it is not the only type of forward line that can be effective and, as others have said, they might decide to go with a smaller set up.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

It is completely different wondering down forward whilst rucking than to play permanately in the foward line against a fast running side. MG hasnt been able to do it for years and Ben isnt developed enough to do it yet.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:his first game since round 7 last year and you and others want him to line up against one of the in form FB who's assets is his marking against top quality FF.
if he does play there, and i think it's a possibility, i'll be measuring him against kosi's form of the past fortnight.

in other words, the bar is set low (and i love kosi as a player).

all he would need to do is compete, bring the ball to ground for the crumbers, draw a player away from riewoldt and hopefully snag a goal.

structurally the role is important because it gives us the option of going deep to a marking contest.

but it is not the only type of forward line that can be effective and, as others have said, they might decide to go with a smaller set up.
Spot on with the first part bc...vreat summation of why and what he'd need to do.

I serously doubt the last line as we have not played to a forward line like that all year, it would go against evrything our players have trained and played to this year. Unless our 'smaller' forward line is Goddard and Gilbert, which really isn't that small. However I'd be loath to lose their run and flexibility from the back half and through the middle.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If form is to be considered, Tom Lynch should get a shot. Has been playing well for Sandy over the last month or so. Could be an asset to our forward line.
Ball is probably nursing a sore groin. If so, one week out is probably not enough.
If Max is fit he must come in. We will need him to man up on Buddy in Tassy in a few weeks. No way would you give that job to Zac.
Gardiner if fit is a certainty.
Will be very interesting to see this weeks selections.

claystreet
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:If form is to be considered, Tom Lynch should get a shot. Has been playing well for Sandy over the last month or so. Could be an asset to our forward line.
Ball is probably nursing a sore groin. If so, one week out is probably not enough.
If Max is fit he must come in. We will need him to man up on Buddy in Tassy in a few weeks. No way would you give that job to Zac.
Gardiner if fit is a certainty.
Will be very interesting to see this weeks selections.
I am thinking Lynch as an outsider for a crack at it as well

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

This is about the time on a Thursday it gets busy around here....

Wonder if we will have a 100th game celebration this weekend

claystreet
Club Player

I dont think Ross will be too left field in his picks, but i am sure Goose would be on the table with a few others.

I am starting to think Lynch might get a run but will stick with my original
Max and Gardy