Bulldogs - Pfft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

DWOODROW
Club Player

Bulldogs - Pfft

After seeing there effort against Essondon, I don't really think they are going to destroy us on the weekend. I saw there game and they didn't show much to be scared of. I would have thought Adelaide would have been a bigger threat but look what we did to them. I admit Bulldogs when on do lift for big games( Geelong ) but does anyone reckon we will have a major drama with them this weekend. Brian Lake has been playing great in defence and whoever he picks up will have a hard time. Considering Kosi is out then we need someone to step up. Will Roo push up to Full forward and Maybe Gwilt to CHF. I don't see Goose coming into the forward line but it does make for some interesting decisions this week. Thoughts.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Where we will beat the Dogs is our strength, height and mobility in attack, even with Kozi out, we can swing Macca or Blake in there, and Gwilt could be an inclusion for the strength aspect. I think Gilbert and Fisher will be too mobile for the Dog attack, and Raphs's height and mobility may also be a factor. It leaves our mids to do their bit.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

too strong, too hard at the footy
they are small and soft and will be like geelong the week after they played us.
sore 8-)

degruch
Saintsational Legend

This came from a Mitch Hahn interview on AFL.com:

"It's an opportunity to go out there and see where we're at six weeks from finals. We've still got a lot of improvement and we'll find out how much we've improved since the last time we played them."

Hahn said the Dogs would need to lift their execution level this week if they were to avoid repeating the defeat they suffered at the hands of Ross Lyon's men earlier in the season.

"Last time, I think our skills let us down. I'm not sure what our kicking efficiency was, but I think it was probably the second lowest for the year," he said.

The best thing in our favour is that, despite some better inclusions, their disposal INS'T any better than last time, in fact, it looks much worse. If we can keep up our pressure like last week, turnovers will cost the Dogs.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

degruch wrote:This came from a Mitch Hahn interview on AFL.com:

"It's an opportunity to go out there and see where we're at six weeks from finals. We've still got a lot of improvement and we'll find out how much we've improved since the last time we played them."

Hahn said the Dogs would need to lift their execution level this week if they were to avoid repeating the defeat they suffered at the hands of Ross Lyon's men earlier in the season.

"Last time, I think our skills let us down. I'm not sure what our kicking efficiency was, but I think it was probably the second lowest for the year," he said.

The best thing in our favour is that, despite some better inclusions, their disposal INS'T any better than last time, in fact, it looks much worse. If we can keep up our pressure like last week, turnovers will cost the Dogs.
Dogs are one of the 2 most overrated teams in the comp.

The other being Collingwood.

The Bulldogs are the playground bullies of '09, they play a game similar to Geelong but don't have the class as Geelong do.
Poorer defence, similar attack and 2 or 3 classes below Geelongs midfield.

We destroyed them in round 6, and the 28 point margin was only due to our atrocious kicking at goal. They're nothing more then pretenders, and won't get any better any time soon.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Saintschampions08 wrote:Dogs are one of the 2 most overrated teams in the comp.

The Bulldogs are the playground bullies of '09, they play a game similar to Geelong but don't have the class as Geelong do.

We destroyed them in round 6, and the 28 point margin was only due to our atrocious kicking at goal. They're nothing more then pretenders, and won't get any better any time soon.
Well, I know you're right about Collingwood...I suspect you're right about the Doggies too, as I haven't seen anything from them to suggest they're anywhere near as good as the press makes them out to be.

Hope you're right on Saturday, how good would it be to smash two 'contenders' in a week!?! 8-)

saintlee
Club Player

Saintschampions08 wrote:They're nothing more then pretenders, and won't get any better any time soon.
Not without a least 1 genuine key forward.....ideally 2.....and I don't see anything that suggests a key forward is coming through the ranks at the kennel anytime soon

degruch
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:
Saintschampions08 wrote:They're nothing more then pretenders, and won't get any better any time soon.
Not without a least 1 genuine key forward.....ideally 2.....and I don't see anything that suggests a key forward is coming through the ranks at the kennel anytime soon
They can deny all they like, but I can see Barry Hall in the tri-colours next year.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

saintlee wrote:
The cats have shown you don't need a key forward.

Difference is, the cats have a midfield that is almost as good as the Brisbane 01-04 midfield, The dogs midfield is great, but not good enough to win a game on its own.

The fact that Lake, and Johnson are the key defender and forward for the dogs shows exactly how much of a deficiency in both area's they have, they look good because they're midfield is better then most of the competitions (but in saying that the entire competition is much weaker than it has been in the last 5-10 years), but if teams like Essendon, Carlton, Adelaide - manage to catch up, the dogs will be nothing more then average.

saintlee
Club Player

Saintschampions08 wrote:
saintlee wrote:
The cats have shown you don't need a key forward.
I would disagree on this, Mooney and N. Ablett were genuine key forwards, as is young Tom Hawkins.....at least in terms of height, strength and marking ability (perhaps not kicking accuracy though)....the dogs have nothing comparable with this in their forward line....

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i wouldn't be take them lightly.

they beat us twice last year and came within a kick of beating the cats earlier this season.

they went close to a grand final berth last season. they are talented and well coached.

having said that, i think we're a better side with better structure.

the loss of kosi is a worry though.

he's important not just for the goals he kicks and the heat he takes off riewoldt but because having someone who can take a contested mark deep means you can move it in quickly and opens up opportunities for the crumbers.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:i wouldn't be take them lightly.

they beat us twice last year and came within a kick of beating the cats earlier this season.

they went close to a grand final berth last season. they are talented and well coached.

he's important not just for the goals he kicks and the heat he takes off riewoldt but because having someone who can take a contested mark deep means you can move it in quickly and opens up opportunities for the crumbers.
Very true. Kosi is vital to our structure even thought to be honest he isnt a star and the point you make about the Doggies is correct. I honestly think Geelong and us are well clear at our best but if we are slightly off our game then the Dogs are a real chance.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I agree, let's cakewalk to a 10-goal win. Because they're crap and we're unbelievable.

Great to see how much respect fans of our club have for other clubs.

:roll:

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Saintschampions08 wrote:
degruch wrote:This came from a Mitch Hahn interview on AFL.com:

Dogs are one of the 2 most overrated teams in the comp.

You should always respect your opposition regardless of whether they are 1st or 16th in the competition. No game is easy! If they are over rated, you will know after the final siren on Saturday night.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Hey, believe me, I'm as excited as anybody here, but its truly mindblowing some of the direspectful garbage people cough up on here sometimes.

The Dogs are an extremely capable side with more than enough skill and confidence to run at us from fullback through the middle of the ground.

We are coming off the game of the year, a trip to Subiaco, a game against a contender (admttedly pretty soft in the end) and a short week on the track before we take on clearly the third best side in the competition, and a side that has two days extra rest.

I would like to think we have the structure and enthusiasm to beat the Dogs, but I am not convinced given the above we have the 1) legs 2) desire 3) need and 4) cattle (no Kos, Gardiner (?), Dawson) this week.

Conversely, given the above, if ever a side WAS going to beat us, it's the Dogs this week. They lose to us and it will shatter the credentials. They have much to prove...

I ain't holding my breath over our Rd 17 result.

Fact is I don't think they'll come within cooee of a full strength, suberbly drilled Saints in a final.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Saintschampions08
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:i wouldn't be take them lightly.

Wow .. they beat us twice last year, big deal. So did Collingwood and look at them...

Collingwood almost beat the cats in '07, almost beating someone counts for nothing i'm sorry. How many people remember the Magpies 2002 season for how they nearly beat the lions?

I was much more worried this week against Adelaide, and would be much more worried in facing the Lions, Carlton or even the Hawks in a final match then i will be facing the Bulldogs.

Even a loss this week won't change my opinion much, the Dogs are just in front of the rest of the competition...which is well behind us and the Geelong.
I agree, let's cakewalk to a 10-goal win. Because they're crap and we're unbelievable.

Great to see how much respect fans of our club have for other clubs.

:roll:
Who said anything about a 10 goal win? Who said anything about us being unbelievable and them crap?

Theirs no doubt we're better then them in every facet, attack, defense and especially midfield.
They're not crap, they're just not really good like most of the competition. Fremantle are crap, the Bulldogs are a good team...just not good enough.

What have the Dog's done to earn respect over the past couple of years? Been 2% better then everyone except Geelong and the Hawks last year?

Been 2% better then everyone except Geelong and Us this year?

They're pretenders.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

On the logic that the Bulldogs hammered Essendon so they will do the same to us the Crows should have belted us too, seeing as the week before they played us they had a 117 point win, conceded only 1 goal, 8 shots on target and 23 inside 50's.

That worked out REALLY well for them didnt it

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum