Kosi replacement ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Kosi replacement ?

Who and why?

We know what we're going to get with Gwilt,will provide a contest and a big body,but won't tear them apart.

Goose could be a chance to play 100. He could out muscle Lake. However I'm not convinced

My vote go's with the Ranga! Presents very well,has footy smarts,has good form. Give him a gig for a week and see how he go's.

Bring back the Lockett era
saintlee
Club Player

I still like the idea of BJ at FF....has speed, height, strong hands and is a great kick........bring in another mid to cover his mid-field run....

degruch
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:I still like the idea of BJ at FF....has speed, height, strong hands and is a great kick........bring in another mid to cover his mid-field run....
As I mentioned in another post, and at the risk of unleashing lunatics, I reckon BJ's not as confident in front of goals as I'd like to see, looking at his 2 pointer effort on the weekend. But the biggest problem is that we'll miss his delivery around the ground.

Unleash the Ranga? I'd love to see him in action at last, but a frantic game for a young guy to pick up the pace of the game.

saintlee
Club Player

degruch wrote:
saintlee wrote:I still like the idea of BJ at FF....has speed, height, strong hands and is a great kick........bring in another mid to cover his mid-field run....
As I mentioned in another post, and at the risk of unleashing lunatics, I reckon BJ's not as confident in front of goals as I'd like to see, looking at his 2 pointer effort on the weekend. But the biggest problem is that we'll miss his delivery around the ground.

Unleash the Ranga? I'd love to see him in action at last, but a frantic game for a young guy to pick up the pace of the game.
I don't believe he is nervous in front of goal myself, but I do agree about missing his delivery around the ground.......still I think it might work

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Might be Matthew Maguire's chance, but maybe against the Dogs they will go for James Gwilt for a bit more mobility. Selection panel has come up trumps so far, so I'll leave it to them.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I think goose is easily capable of contributing as much as kosi has in the past fortnight.

at worst he's a strong marking and tough foil for riewoldt who will bring the crumbers into it and maintain the structure that has worked for us for most of the season.

Lynch I like the look of, but is he mature-bodied and ready?

Bj can also play that role but is likely to be considered too valuable on the ball against a very good dogs midfield.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

The last few weeks we've been going with Kosi and Roo as our tall forwards. It might be expecting too much of one player to simply take Kosi's place. Might need to rejig things a bit - maybe bring in Goose/Lynch and use BJ or someone else up there as well.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

the idea of kosi out for 1 week and bringing in a midfielder like Ball/Armitage,Geary and rejigging the backline has merit against a smaller doggies team

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:I think goose is easily capable of contributing as much as kosi has in the past fortnight.

at worst he's a strong marking and tough foil for riewoldt who will bring the crumbers into it and maintain the structure that has worked for us for most of the season.

Bj can also play that role but is likely to be considered too valuable on the ball against a very good dogs midfield.
Agree with pretty much all that, except that I'd love to see BJ spend more time up forward every week (unless they're keeping that one up their sleeves for the finals- If not it makes little sense that he's not played there more often.) I'd be just as happy to have him in my forward line as Steve Johnson. He could very easily kick 60+ goals a year if played permanently up forward.
Another option of course is to play either Big Mac, or Gardi from the goalsquare. Not sure I'd want both of them plus King all in the same team, though, especially against such a quick team. If Zac plays, he could also play forward, especially if Max is back. There is no shortage of options.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
bigcarl wrote:I think goose is easily capable of contributing as much as kosi has in the past fortnight.

Agree with pretty much all that, except that I'd love to see BJ spend more time up forward every week
so would i, IF we're winning the midfield ... which isn't a given versus the bulldogs

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Most weeks we would, with Hayes, Dal Santo, Montagna, Gram, Ball (when back and firing) Jones and Ray in there. That's heaps and it's much easier to find someone who can get a bunch of possies in the midfield than find someone who can kick 4 goals in 20 minutes (5 if you count the one that was mistakenly disallowed, against West Coast). There are precious few who do that. I remember someone doing that in the last quarter of the 1997 Grand Final.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Tue 21 Jul 2009 3:00pm, edited 2 times in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Most weeks we would, with Hayes, Dal Santo, Montagna, Gram, Ball (when back and firing) Jones and Ray in there. That's heaps and it's much easier to find someone who can get a bunch of possies in the midfield than find someone who can kick 4 goals in 20 minutes (5 if you count the one that was mistakenly disallowed, against West Coast).
well he'd be the first guy i'd look at to swing forward if it is not working and we can't buy a goal.

and i agree he could make a good permanent forward IF we can spare him elsewhere.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

The last time we lost Kosi was in round 5. Eddy came in for a wet and greasy match against Port.

The following weekend was the Doggies match. Kosi came back in but King went out. Eddy stayed in and we only had one true ruck in Gardiner.

The priority seems to have been KP forward otherwise McEvoy would have been brought in.

With King in this time around one might guess at Gardiner to play a forward utility role if he's fit, and Eddy to stay in once again. If not Gardiner... Goose? Lynch?

As much as I would like to see Gwilt back in, if I have guessed the criteria correctly I don't think he's a match. Not imposing enough up forward and/or doesn't seem to have the team's confidence... I remember seeing him present in space several times in the Lions game only to be ignored.

It's a tricky one. Goose and Lynch are both risks as neither have played the role at AFL level and it is a critical role in our structure. The selectors will be sweating bullets if Gards isn't available.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

They can make it work whichever way they choose to go.

claystreet
Club Player

Dont think BJ will play FF maybe they might blood the ranga or bring Goose in but i have a feeling it will be neither. A few possible scenarios of course and it may just be Gwilt. If Zac gets pumped they will bring in Max i think thats a given.

We will know for sure on Thursday 8-)

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

If Gardiner is ready to come back in, I think they may move McEvoy forward?

xander
Club Player

who played FF against the dogs in our last game?
If i remember right kosi played as a 2nd ruck to gardiner.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

McEvoy cannot play this week against the Doggies, too slow and lumbering.

Gardiner and Max in for Kosi and Zac. Gwilt in for McEvoy.

Kosi missing this week is no big deal, considering he has been ordinary the last couple of weeks, and that whack was just stupid.
Max for Zac is a fair exchange (I still reckon we should appeal the Zac decision).

Gwilt should come in for McEvoy. He can play forward with Gardy rucking and also going forward. Gives us more pace against the Dogs.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:McEvoy cannot play this week against the Doggies, too slow and lumbering.

Kosi missing this week is no big deal, considering he has been ordinary the last couple of weeks, and that whack was just stupid.
Max for Zac is a fair exchange (I still reckon we should appeal the Zac decision).

Gwilt should come in for McEvoy. He can play forward with Gardy rucking and also going forward. Gives us more pace against the Dogs.
So Kosi missing is no big deal because he has been ordinary and stupid?

How about the fact he would have probably missed with his hand injury, but don't let facts get in the way Bernard....

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:McEvoy cannot play this week against the Doggies, too slow and lumbering.

So Kosi missing is no big deal because he has been ordinary and stupid?

How about the fact he would have probably missed with his hand injury, but don't let facts get in the way Bernard....
Don't get carried away ohwhenthesaints, Kosi hurt his hand in the last quarter. He had been ordinary for the previous seven quarters and was stupid before he hurt his hand.

I want Kosi playing great footy at full forward, unfortunately he has not performed in the past couple of weeks and that is a fact.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

xander wrote:who played FF against the dogs in our last game?
If i remember right kosi played as a 2nd ruck to gardiner.
correct. we went in with just the one key forward in riewoldt.

gwilt also played in the forward line but essentially was ignored as a marking target.

we looked very dependent on riewoldt to kick us a winning score and it put a hell of a lot of pressure on his kicking.

however we won _ quite comfortably in the end _ after a worrying start.