Qualifying Final opponent

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sunday Red
Club Player

Qualifying Final opponent

I know footy is played 'one week at a time' blah blah blah blah... but assuming we hold top spot, who would you prefer to play in the Qualifying Final?

At the moment, I think there are five (at the VERY most) teams that can nip fourth spot:

Western Bulldogs
Collingwood
Brisbane
Adelaide
Carlton

Of this group, the Dogs are clearly the best side and thus we would want to avoid them. Collingwood are seriously over rated, but I'd still rather not face their toothless rabid Magpie Army at the MCG in front of 40,000 feral bogans (and 30,000 St Kilda fans). Carlton are only a slim chance of a top four spot and like Collingwood, I'd prefer to avoid them.

The Lions and Crows, I would happily take in week one! Brissy gave us a run for our money in Round 9, but I think we can handle any interstate team on our turf in the finals. We also trounced Adelaide the last two times we played here.

If Brisbane or Adelaide grabbed fourth, what are the chances our final would be played at Etihad and would you prefer that to the MCG?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Qualifying Final opponent

Sunday Red wrote:I know footy is played 'one week at a time' blah blah blah blah... but assuming we hold top spot, who would you prefer to play in the Qualifying Final?

At the moment, I think there are five (at the VERY most) teams that can nip fourth spot:

Western Bulldogs
Collingwood
Brisbane
Adelaide
Carlton

Of this group, the Dogs are clearly the best side and thus we would want to avoid them. Collingwood are seriously over rated, but I'd still rather not face their toothless rabid Magpie Army at the MCG in front of 40,000 feral bogans (and 30,000 St Kilda fans). Carlton are only a slim chance of a top four spot and like Collingwood, I'd prefer to avoid them.

The Lions and Crows, I would happily take in week one! Brissy gave us a run for our money in Round 9, but I think we can handle any interstate team on our turf in the finals. We also trounced Adelaide the last two times we played here.

If Brisbane or Adelaide grabbed fourth, what are the chances our final would be played at Etihad and would you prefer that to the MCG?
I clearly dont get why we want avoid the Dogs. As you say they are clearly the third best side but I dont see what the problem would be if we played them first. i just dont get the reasoning.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

More likely than not, we're gonna need to beat Collingwood, Bulldogs and Geelong to win the flag. In which order we do that, i don't really mind.

You would think, out of those teams, that a weeks' rest would be most beneficial before meeting the Dogs or the Cats, but this will be confirmed by about 10.30pm on Saturday.

And it's highly unlikely that we or Geelong would get into a position to play them in the first week of the finals, so our most likely order is the 'Pies, Dogs, then Geelong.

Which ever team it turns out to be, they better bring their A-game, or else they'll be embarrassed like the Crows were. The 2009 Saints will be underestimated at the doubter's own peril.