"Not ideal"- really Andrew!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

"Not ideal"- really Andrew!

Every team deserves to play the 'G
Glenn McFarlane From: Sunday Herald Sun July 19, 2009

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou effectively shut the door on St Kilda playing a home final at its Etihad Stadium cauldron.
In saying the AFL was desperate to push for greater attendances next year and beyond, Demetriou said the big drawing clubs in the finals, including the Saints, could expect to play all of their finals at the MCG.

"What we do in the finals is that we actually take over and they become our games and our events," Demetriou (pictured) told Triple M.

"We try to accommodate our supporters' needs. I think we would all agree that if it is St Kilda and Collingwood...it would be impossible to think it could be scheduled anywhere other than the MCG.

"If the Western Bulldogs were to draw Brisbane (Lions) or Adelaide, we would probably play that game here (Etihad Stadium).

"But if you are talking St Kilda, Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon or Geelong, it is highly unlikely you would put it anywhere other than the MCG."

For supporters of the game, that's the right decision.

As it sits this morning, the Saints would be playing the Magpies in week one, and if it was to be at Etihad Stadium, about 30,000 fans would miss out.

Just as was the case when the AFL failed in a bid to transfer the Round 14 clash between St Kilda and Geelong where the pre-game hype lived up to the delivery before 54,444 breathless fans.

But, for St Kilda, the news it will almost certainly not play a home final on the ground will be more than a little frustrating.

The 54,000-plus who attended the Round 14 clash is more than can fit into Subiaco, the Gabba, AAMI Stadium and the SCG.

Yet if the Eagles, Dockers, Crows, Power, Lions or Swans were in a position to be rewarded with a final on their home ground, they would get one.

Geelong cannot fly with the Skilled Stadium option given it holds far fewer than all of the above grounds.

The complicating factor for St Kilda is that it is yet to play a game at the MCG this season. Its one and only game at the venue - where the most important match of the season is played - comes against Melbourne in Round 22.

Whatever way you look at the flawed AFL fixturing process, the fact the Saints only play at the MCG once in the home and away season is wrong - from their point of view and the competition's.

Even Demetriou conceded yesterday that was hardly ideal.

Compare that with Collingwood - the team it could meet in the first final - which plays a minimum of 14 games at the MCG this year.

Even Adelaide, another team fighting it out for a top four spot, has two matches at the MCG - one more than the Saints and the Eagles, the two teams with the fewest.

The AFL needs to look at its draw for many reasons, not the least of which is that fans want all teams playing each other once before meeting rivals a second time.

But it also needs to ensure all Victorian clubs play at least two games at the MCG every home and away season - regardless of where their home ground is. For their sake, as much as the competition's.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 5751801224

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
goodie
Club Player

Well we could've played a second if Demetriou had the balls to take on Docklands

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

goodie wrote:Well we could've played a second if Demetriou had the balls to take on Docklands

Wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't part of the stadium deal he is working on with the MCG!!!

hotdish
Club Player

I throw this one out there - after Collingwood's loss last night, I wouldn't mind seeing Adelaide win, so they can take (equal) 4th spot - I would rather play Adelaide at the Dome in the 1st week of the finals than Collingwood at the MCG!

BakesFan
SS Life Member

hotdish wrote:I throw this one out there - after Collingwood's loss last night, I wouldn't mind seeing Adelaide win, so they can take (equal) 4th spot - I would rather play Adelaide at the Dome in the 1st week of the finals than Collingwood at the MCG!
So we should drop today's game against the Crows to help bump them up the ladder?

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

I hope everyone realise with finals match day incoming is shared amongst all the clubs not just the clubs playing in it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

hotdish wrote:I throw this one out there - after Collingwood's loss last night, I wouldn't mind seeing Adelaide win, so they can take (equal) 4th spot - I would rather play Adelaide at the Dome in the 1st week of the finals than Collingwood at the MCG!
Well firstly we would be playing a side that just beat us which isnt ideal and secondly the game would probably have to be a Saturday night which gives them a 7 day break and us a 6 day break.

ace
Saintsational Legend

The article fails to take into account the real possiblity of 4 Melbourne finals in the first week.
Scheduling 4 finals at the MCG in the one weekend has never been achieved before.
1 game friday night, 1 saturday and 1 sunday is feasible but day and night games at the MCG on the same day would be difficult for cleaning and catering.
Not to mention the need to preserve and recover the ground surface especially if wet.

If there were to be four Melbourne finals in the first week, the lowest drawing game against an interstate team would probably be played at Docklands.

It is almost certain that the qualifying finals will be in Melbourne with St Kilda and Geelong as hosts and then Footscray already in third place should one slip.

If either or both Adelaide or Brisbane were to finish 5th or 6th they would host an elimination final in their home town solving the AFL's dilemna.

But if Adelaide and Brisbane each occupy one of places 3rd, 4th, 7th and 8th, the AFL would have to decide which game would draw the smaller crowd.
e.g. St Kilda, Geelong or Footscray v Adelaide OR Collingwood, Essendon or Hawthorn v Brisbane.
The size of Collingwood, Essendon and Hawthorn supporter bases would dictate that the St Kilda, Geelong or Footscray v Adelaide game be moved to Docklands.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:The article fails to take into account the real possiblity of 4 Melbourne finals in the first week.
Scheduling 4 finals at the MCG in the one weekend has never been achieved before.
1 game friday night, 1 saturday and 1 sunday is feasible but day and night games at the MCG on the same day would be difficult for cleaning and catering.
Not to mention the need to preserve and recover the ground surface especially if wet.

If there were to be four Melbourne finals in the first week, the lowest drawing game against an interstate team would probably be played at Docklands.

It is almost certain that the qualifying finals will be in Melbourne with St Kilda and Geelong as hosts and then Footscray already in third place should one slip.

If either or both Adelaide or Brisbane were to finish 5th or 6th they would host an elimination final in their home town solving the AFL's dilemna.

But if Adelaide and Brisbane each occupy one of places 3rd, 4th, 7th and 8th, the AFL would have to decide which game would draw the smaller crowd.
e.g. St Kilda, Geelong or Footscray v Adelaide OR Collingwood, Essendon or Hawthorn v Brisbane.
The size of Collingwood, Essendon and Hawthorn supporter bases would dictate that the St Kilda, Geelong or Footscray v Adelaide game be moved to Docklands.
It isnt that simple because if we play Adelaide it would have to be a the G on Sunday unless we want a 6 day break which I doubt we would get considering we will finish top 2.

derby Street
Club Player

When did this bolt of sudden intellect hit Andrew? :shock: The draw has been out since late last year - we had 1 (one) game at the MCG from when it was released. We also happen to have a ridiculous amount of Sunday games as well - & don't tell me the Club and our supporters wanted this.
We were done over in the draw as simple as that.

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

I would love the first final at docklands too, but we have to win the premiership at the MCG, so why not play there? I am confident that we can beat anyone anywhere, i don't care where it is. We are on top and will finish on top for a reason because we a good bloody team.
We are on a mission, collingwood are overated, we beat them at the MCG in last years finals and we will do it again this year if we meet them again!
Carn the mighty bloody sainters!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
ace
Saintsational Legend

What do you mean Mr Demetriou - not ideal.
It is perfect just the way you planned it.
Deep down you are feeling very satisfied.
We know you hate St Kilda because they refused to fold in the early 1980's placing increased pressure on your precious North Melbourne.
If only St Kilda had gone under or moved, your former club would be Kangaroos safe in Melbourne and not NORTH as in should move north.

You may have sabotaged St Kilda by preventing them playing games at the MCG this year and helped saddle them with a lousy deal at Docklands, but St Kilda will win this year's premiership anyhow.

AND shortly after you leave your present job NORTH wil refer to a club based in North Queensland.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

derby Street wrote:When did this bolt of sudden intellect hit Andrew? :shock: The draw has been out since late last year - we had 1 (one) game at the MCG from when it was released. We also happen to have a ridiculous amount of Sunday games as well - & don't tell me the Club and our supporters wanted this.
what the Saints have managed to do- with 7 twilight games and playing so well
is Unfortunately make sunday twilight games look good, :?

I for one thoguht they would struggle to get people there, and wanred our locl group we may struggle to get bus loads to go, as I know other country groupd did- BUT because the Team has done it's bit there have been both crowds at the game and buses from the country--- making the Sunday's look succesfull.

the time of the game STILL stinks- IF they are going to hold out for that type of game- Make it atleast 3.10 like the Geelong game- those from the outer reaches of the State may atleast get home on Sunday instead of Monday.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

derby Street wrote:When did this bolt of sudden intellect hit Andrew? :shock: The draw has been out since late last year - we had 1 (one) game at the MCG from when it was released. We also happen to have a ridiculous amount of Sunday games as well - & don't tell me the Club and our supporters wanted this.
We did over ourselves in the crap footy we played last year, how could a team that played such boring backwards footy expect to be eligable for Friday and Sat night games?

Id rather be in this position now playing great entertaining footy and dont care what day we play it on as long as we keep it up and next year they cant do this to us again, but then again....................

Before Im 85
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:we have to win the premiership at the MCG, so why not play there?
exactly, and this the way we must look at it. we've proved over most of the season that we're the best team in it, so you'd reckon we'd be able to play the mcg.

having arguably the greatest home and away match in history played in round 14 at the second best stadium was a major embarrassment for the afl and one that won't be repeated if they can avoid it.

derby Street
Club Player

saintsrus wrote:
We did over ourselves in the crap footy we played last year, how could a team that played such boring backwards footy expect to be eligable for Friday and Sat night games?

Id rather be in this position now playing great entertaining footy and dont care what day we play it on as long as we keep it up and next year they cant do this to us again, but then again....................
My main concern was about 1 game at the MCG - the other concern was a purely selfish one - Sunday games are damn inconvenient for me :D
Sorry!